iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying Logs

Started by MOODY2020, March 08, 2009, 11:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOODY2020

I have recently purchased a band saw mill & have cut up all of the accessible timber on our rugged West Virginia property. I would like to get some more logs so I can build some more things. What is the best way to purchase logs for a reasonable deal? Most everyone I try to talk to wants to sell poplar logs to me at 50 cents per board foot, but there is a mill down the road that sell the lumber already cut up for 50 cents per foot. Are these guys trying to fool me or is this a decent rate for the logs? Do you have any advice on how to I handle trying to talk my way into a fair price when dealing with log buying ?

Thanks

ARKANSAWYER

I used to buy from large mills.  I would go in and talk to the boss and yard manager.  Mostly I wanted what they did not.  Also find a logger and see about end of job left over logs on the deck.  Lots of time here they would be a few logs like oak and pine left over when they were pulling out.  I would go with my trailer and they would load them on for one money.  Once you get out some you will find a logger that may need a few boards from time to time and he will become your best friend.
  Also you will pay more for most logs as you are not buying large loads and not a steady job for them.  So it is like buying gas at the station or buying it in bulk and putting it in your tank.
ARKANSAWYER

YellowDog

I go around to new subdiviions that are having lots cleared and con usually get them for nothing or afew boards.

Thank You Sponsors!