iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taking Shortcuts

Started by Neil_B, November 12, 2003, 07:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil_B

Well, after having it driven into my head all my life, I found out the other day why it doesnt' pay to take shortcuts.
Was cutting a load of firewood yesterday, the pile was about 12' high and I was getting into it pretty good. Usually I knock down the pile when it starts getting vertical on the face, but this time I decided I would cut a few more logs up first.
Well, got part way through a cut and down comes the pile. One log hit my hand as it was coming down and the saw was pinched so I let it go. As I waited for everything to come down, including a 18" yellow birch, I figured I'd better check my hand. The glove had been pulled off my hand but aside from a skinned finger and bruised ego, I was fine. Next decided to check the saw. It was still running and I had to dig it out from under the pile. Looked alright but then noticed that the handle was bent. Turned it upside down and the bottom was all cracked up. This was my brand new Husqvarna 372 :'(.

DON'T TAKE SHORTCUTS, IT DOES NOT PAY
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

SawInIt CA

WV_hillbilly

Hope your hand is OK  . I can imagin the sick feeling when you had seen the hurt put on your new saw. I just bought one of those 372 's a month ago and they are fine runnin saws.

I pulled a bonehead move last Sunday with my tandem axle trailer in the woods. I got in a hurry and decided to take the trailer  in the woods to load some logs to take to Dugsaws . to make a long story short After loading I got trailer stuck and tried to do some lifting and pulling with my tractor. I got it turned around but noticed the ball coupler had about a 15 degree twist to it.  It was bad enough that I did that but then I had to unload more than half the logss by hand just to recover the trailer as all my welders are not portable .  >:( :(   By now I want to kick myself  for not skidding the logs to my landing bythe hardtop road then loadind them on the trailer like  I ended up doing. I know this won't happen again.  I got off pretty cheap as the only thing destroyed was the coupler that cost $68  to  replace and about 2 hours of my time that I didn't have to waste  .
Hillbilly

trey_w

Just remember...saws can be replaced, you're hand can't...well...ok it can...but it ain't easy.   :D
If you put your two cents in and only get a penny for your thoughts...who gets the change?

Neil_B

Hand is ok, less a little bit of skin and a bit tender but I can move it around with out too much pain. I blamed it on my wife cause she was pushing me to make money 8).
Still, learned my lesson for now.

Hillbilly, I do things like that as well. Always trying to save myself some work . ::). I guess I never really considered it to be shortcuts as it always creates more work later on. ???
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Sawyerfortyish

Sorry to hear about your hand. Glad it's OK. Too bad about the saw good thing it's not a good saw or anything like a Stihl ::) Yea Yea I know i'm starting something here just kidding ;D

Neil_B

Sawyer40,
If it were a Stihl, it would STILL be under the pile :D

woodmills1

And Stihl a runnin and cutin da wood. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Neil_B

Norm

Glad to hear you didn't break your hand Neil. Sometimes you don't know how bad it is till you take your glove off.

We don't have any whos saw is best as I run a Stihl and Patty runs a Husky. And as Patty would say to keep me in line "ya gotta sleep sometime"  :D

Sawyerfortyish

My wife tells me that it sounds like I cut as much wood when i'm sleeping as i do when i'm awake  ;)

AtLast

BUMMER!!!!!!...... :o

Sawyer40.... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ::) ::) :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!