iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily carnage thread

Started by mike_belben, July 23, 2018, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steadfast

I had a bad case of the Mondays...

tacks Y

Steadfast, What is it that you rolled? Hope all is well?

I rolled my dozer once and that was enough, came out mad and that was it. Thanks to a Rops. Pushing a tree over and the root ball tipped me.

steadfast

I rolled the td7 dozer. A branch slid me sideways enough over a little drop and tipped me. I was totally fine, albeit a bit shook up. My first thought after getting out of the machine was "well, I guess I'm buying lunch." We flipped it back over with a skidder and got back to moving wood.

beenthere

"rolled" or just tipped? 
Maybe semantics, but to me there is big difference between "rolled" and tipped. Maybe I am thinking "rolled over" when reading rolled. 

Neither are a "good" day.  ;D

Cannot see much in the photo posted. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rusticretreater

Quote from: steadfast on February 25, 2023, 02:32:23 PMWe flipped it back over with a skidder and got back to moving wood.

Keep ona rollin!
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Log-it-up

Glad your here to the story, it'll be funny tomorrow 

Don P

We repacked the blade tilt and one of the angle cylinders yesterday on the TD8E dozer, we've now redone all the cylinders up front. The first one twice, I bought an ebay seal kit and learned my lesson  ::). I'm not entirely sure those weren't OE seals from the 80's in the glands yesterday, but they came out in pieces, amazing they held at all. We pulled one of the rear pair of cylinders to the rake yesterday, I've had that chained up for over a year. Uhh since I had to use everything she had to break mud suction and crib the machine outta a baaad place  :D. Every new machine has a steep learning curve for awhile. We've been unable to find the seal kit for them so off to the shop and maybe they can find something. Seems like several of you are running this stuff, this one is a Dresser which went to Komatsu. Regionally they were sold to a new outfit a year or so ago and parts support is, well, this machine is older than they are. Where are y'all getting seals and parts and where are the boneyards, I'd love to find a winch and scrap/trade the rake in?

chevytaHOE5674

For Komatsu parts if i can't find it aftermarket i call up Roland Machinery. They are not the best dealer IME but they are willing to search for old parts usually. But Komatsu is not the best at old parts availability compared to say Cat. But its worth a shot. For things like seals, bearings, etc I usually do a lot of measuring and sourcing. Hydraulic seals I hit up a cylinder shop 40 miles away and they usually fix me up.

As for a boneyard that has a winch thats a tuff one. Start looking on machinery trader for dismantled machines and making some calls and see what you can find.

nativewolf

Quote from: Don P on March 22, 2023, 08:36:06 AM
We repacked the blade tilt and one of the angle cylinders yesterday on the TD8E dozer, we've now redone all the cylinders up front. The first one twice, I bought an ebay seal kit and learned my lesson  ::). I'm not entirely sure those weren't OE seals from the 80's in the glands yesterday, but they came out in pieces, amazing they held at all. We pulled one of the rear pair of cylinders to the rake yesterday, I've had that chained up for over a year. Uhh since I had to use everything she had to break mud suction and crib the machine outta a baaad place  :D. Every new machine has a steep learning curve for awhile. We've been unable to find the seal kit for them so off to the shop and maybe they can find something. Seems like several of you are running this stuff, this one is a Dresser which went to Komatsu. Regionally they were sold to a new outfit a year or so ago and parts support is, well, this machine is older than they are. Where are y'all getting seals and parts and where are the boneyards, I'd love to find a winch and scrap/trade the rake in?
Going to second the recommendations on a good cylinder shop.  I think the best in Virginia is in Dayton, VA.  Precision is the name.  Mennonite.  Very good, will match anything- the sealkit room has to be seen to be believed.  They also build cylinder machines for other shops, they are actually quite large for a Mennonite operation.   Build any size cylinder you need, fix anything.  Neat shop.  
Liking Walnut

Don P

The local shop that does our hoses sent us to another nearby shop, long story short, new seals should be here Monday 8).  DB has a walk and flag with a landowner next week and then we'll move it and see if everything holds. 2 pails and you've bought a nice set of seals. There are a couple of large shops up in the coalfields, we had a cylinder on the Lull that needed a new cylinder made, they can handle anything but are a good trot. The local shop doesn't have a machine shop but if they can find good parts reasonable that'll take care of us most times.

Wlmedley

DonP, I worked at Rish Equipment Co for 43 years.When I started working for them they were an International Harvester dealer and the TD8C was the latest TD8 at that time which was 1977.The TD8E was also a International Harvester machine and Dresser bought them out.Rish had a branch in Coburn Va for years but the whole company shut down a couple years ago.Anderson Equipment took over the Komatsu account in WV so you might check with them for parts.When looking for parts most people will be more familiar with the TD8 as a International Harvester machine.I worked on them quite a bit if you ever need any info.They were a well built machine although they did go with a lighter transmission between the C and E models.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Don P

Note to self, put Bill on Christmas cookie list.

We miss y'all. The VA and ortho doc are in Salem so we were buying from there whenever one of us was going by.

Some new people have bought the raw mountain land down the road from us. I met them clearing a path in and saw he had dropped a dozer off. It was his older TD7. Knock wood, they seem to be pretty solid. I do hear an ominous sounding whine mostly from the filters beside the seat but its coming from the pump I think. Hopefully at least next winter, spring is here. I'm not wearing flannel lined tomorrow  :D

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Andries on February 10, 2023, 06:16:11 PM
That's a nasty turn of events.
I've ordered some WM parts, which took about eight weeks to be delivered, so you might be in a t-shirt by the time the repairs come up on the 'today' list.
If this drama has been going on for a while and is unpredictable, maybe the more important issue is the Setworks. Have you had a call with the gurus on tech support in Indianapolis?
Just a follow up on this, it ain't over yet and it's 8 weeks today. WM has sent the wrong swing arm twice. Each cycle goes something like, send them photos showing the wrong part and why it's wrong, them investigating for a day, them getting back to us and confirming it's the wrong part and they are checking into the right one, a day or 3 later they tell us they shipped the right one, wait a week to get it, find out it's wrong and repeat the process. Apparently they have not done a good job of documenting their engineering changes and can't figure out which revision arm we have (I sent photos along). One arm they sent was current for an LT70, so their new plan is to send us the mating parts for the LT70 upper arm assembly and have us convert it. But they have none of the upper arms and can't get us a date on when they are going to make them.
 At this point, as soon as it stops raining I am gonna go to the mill and grab the busted parts and see if I can come up with a plan to remanufacture it. It's a little tricky, not just re-welding and it has to be pretty dang square to work properly. But we have resources. ;D
 SO Andries, it looks like your crystal ball is fully operational.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Don P

Well, the seals that were gonna be here last Monday arrived at 4 yesterday and the clouds just parted. We call it "mountain time", stuff happens when it happens  :)

rusticretreater

Rolled over means you are upside down and looking at the ground at some point. Rolled on its side or tipped over is what most folks experience.

My lil Kubota bit the dust.  I had it at a weird angle and was using the backhoe.  I heard the noise but it was already too late.  Oil starvation to a rod bearing, wiped a journal on the crankshaft.  By the time I got the supports back up and got it on level ground for towing it was far worse.  Got a scrape or two on the truck pulling it out of the brush.

Parts are easy to come by, you just have to watch out for the cheep chinese crap out there.  Engine is on the workbench just about to be reassembled.  Its been awhile since I rebuilt an engine, so I'm actually enjoying the opportunity but not the price! Interesting little engine. 
Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

Firewoodjoe

Not really carnage but do you see what I see?

V it out weld it up. Old style John Deere wheels are terrible for this. I'll have to get more centers torched out to double up this machine to.

barbender

Oh it's carnage enough. 
Too many irons in the fire

Firewoodjoe

It would have been carnage if I kept running it. 😆  Front tire on a buncher. Not good. 

rusticretreater

Fine looking welding job. :)
Kubota BX25
Homemade Log Arch
Husqvarna 562xp

chevytaHOE5674

Luckily you caught it before it turned to carnage. Easy to V it out and weld it up now. Lot harder to have to try and put the center back in the wheel after it tears loose. Haha.

Firewoodjoe

Thanks. Good enough for who it's for lol  i got a lot newer portable welder and it's hard for a simple wood chopper like me to learn new adjustments but welds good. I feel amp for amp it's weaker than my older one. Works though 🤷‍♂️

barbender

Maybe we can call that, "pre-carnage"😊
Too many irons in the fire

Don P

We got one rear cylinder rebuilt on the dozer. The other gland wasn't cracking free with a 5' cheater so it is soaking but it seems to be staying up so better that it was. The bore had a little light rust, cleaned up as best we could, we'll see.

So on to the gristmill truck,
This was not what I expected after fighting the rear duals off the early 80's C5000 GMC box truck. It has disc brakes on the rears. The pistons were stuck, the inner pad is down beyond getting into the metal. I got the dual pistons backed off, the pads are rattling but the caliper will not slide, I've been soaking it, nudged it with as much intent as I dared with up to an 8 lb and even rattled it a little with the hilti percussion drill in hammer mode, nothing budging. The tire code is '02.

That silver T bar and shim in the pic below are in the slider at the bottom. I tried a drift on it and nothing budged. I'm thinking that is the sacrificial way out of this, slicing it with an angle grinder to make a gap and hopefully knock it out?

OR, am I just missing something obvious?

TroyC

Doesn't that silver T bar have a bolt holding it? Been a long time since I did one of those but if I remember the notch in the T bar had a bolt into the caliper to keep it from sliding.

Don P

Yup, I neglected to mention, that's the gold bolt there, I got it out and can tap either end on the T bar with a drift but it isn't moving.

Thank You Sponsors!