iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Are you going to have  a new short sleeve shirt now, Lynn?
My blades get uncoiled in my fluffy grass.  I've yet to damage a blade or myself doing it that way.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

the uncoil by hand, is hard/complex.  it seems you have to move from one coil to the next under spring tension.  and the flip needs to be away from you.  gloves are nice but do not stop a puncture.  keep your tetanus up to date.  I have only seen one case in my career.  she was in hospital on a ventilator paralyzed for 2 months, then in rehab for 6 months in Colorado.  Never got back to normal fully.  she was 56 and poked by a rose thorn.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

My then ~16 year old Grandson Luke uncoiling and coiling a blade:
IMG 7510 - YouTube
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

Maybe WM can develop a line of safety bands for the elderly sawyer, like safety scissors for pre-K.  

wheeliechair smiley_old_guy :snowball1:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

If we all just had a Luke!

Dan_Shade

@doc henderson how often should one have a tetanus booster? 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

doc henderson

It changes if we have a shortage.  with an injury if more than 5 years, or at least every 10 is the schedule I use.  In my office, occasionally I would order it on a patient, and they would refuse.  my nurses knew to just come over and raise my sleeve and give it to me rather than waste it.  It is part of the DPT in children's vaccines.  and the adults get a dedicated booster (boostrix Tdap).  I will check to make sure that is current.  The capitol vs small letters designate the antigen.  so, adults can react to the stronger antigens too much, so the adult version had acellular pertussis "ap" instead of the big P.

doc henderson

Nebraska

Thanks Doc.

My blade  un coiling routine  involves tossing it into the hay field by my mill. No rocks or anything out there to dull or dink the blade. It goes sproink and I am the heck away from it. They get shipped flat for resharp.

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on May 20, 2022, 06:20:22 AM
I have no problem coiling/uncoiling, this was an instance of carelessness I suppose.  I guess there is always a first time.  ::)
I suggest trying very hard at making the first time also the last time.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

GAB

According to Doc Henderson I'm a smidgen overdue for a tetanus Shot.
My last one was in May of '74.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

I have no idea why/how the blade made those double V shaped cuts??  Twern't no Rattlesnake around.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don P

You weren't backing up fast enough, that snake bit you twice  :D.
I imagine I run tighter on tetanus, if the last one isn't a clear memory and I'm in a doc's office, hit me again bartender. I only drew blood on a dozen or two rusty mouse pooped nails this week and uncle fester is working on that funky black splinter ::).

firefighter ontheside

My doctor is very good about keeping me up to date on my shots when I come in to see her, which I do my best to do at least once a year.  Last week I got my fourth shot of anthrax vaccine, so if that happens to be around the sawmill I should be good on that too.  That was done thru a grant from the feds and not my doc's office.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Chuck White

Coiling, uncoiling and inverting band isn't difficult, I believe some people get very nervous when handling very sharp things!

Here's the video that Dan and I made a few years ago, the demo is shown in post #42.

Saw Mill Video-Blade Direction?? in Sawmills and Milling (forestryforum.com)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dan_Shade

I posted a video on YouTube many years ago.  I got blasted by a few folks for not wearing safety gear, mainly gloves and glasses.

I maintain that if you know how to hold the bands, gloves aren't needed, and if you don't know what you are doing, they won't help much. 

I gained muscle memory to coil bands by practicing with lawnmower belts.  Lawn mower belts aren't like angry cats! 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Crossroads

Quote from: Dan_Shade on May 20, 2022, 09:26:20 PM
I posted a video on YouTube many years ago.  I got blasted by a few folks for not wearing safety gear, mainly gloves and glasses.

I maintain that if you know how to hold the bands, gloves aren't needed, and if you don't know what you are doing, they won't help much.

I gained muscle memory to coil bands by practicing with lawnmower belts.  Lawn mower belts aren't like angry cats!
I have a couple of safety bands for practice. The side supports converted them to safety bands 😎
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

firefighter ontheside

I did two dumb things this week.  One was just about 30 minutes ago.  I'm building a treehouse/deck for some people and I needed to notch a bunch of posts for the railing.  I decided my bandsaw would be very helpful for that.  It was until I made a cut and then tried to pull the post back out of the cut.  The kerf had closed up and the blade wouldn't back out.  I ended up pulling the blade off the wheels.  Ruined the blade, but it didn't break.  I had to cut it to get it out.  I gave up and left the saw in a mess.  I'll put a new blade on some other day.

Earlier this week after working on the finish for the extension table I built, I backed my truck back into the garage.  I felt a little resistance and heard a crunch.  I got out to see what I had hit.  Well, I had an extra quart of lacquer and I backed over it.  That was a mess and a waste.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

Was it purple or brown? ;) :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Crossroads

I'm going to be building a pole building for my mill this summer and had planned on notching the poles with the mill for the trusses. Thank you for the learning moment 😁
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

SawyerTed

Multiple dumb things for the price of none!  None were really terrible but given the circumstances, I'm mighty thankful to be able to do dumb things.

First, I've been awfully sick for 3 weeks with a full case of Covid-19. The first 6 or 7 days are a blur.  The good news is today was my first day feeling near normal. 

The first thing I did this afternoon was install two no flat tires and wheels on the front of my zero turn mower.  That's not what was dumb.  What was dumb is trying to catch up on mowing and getting the mower stuck twice!  Had to get the tractor to pull it out both times. It's been wet here. 

Then I needed to drain some excess water from the pool from the monsoon rains we've had since Sunday.  So I opened the drain on the filter.  The pressure blew the cap out of my hand and it bounced off the rocks in the drainage area.  It disappeared.  It took about 10 minutes to find it.  Fortunately, there was plenty of water in the pool. 

The last dumb thing had the potential to be a bucket of misery.  I have a 1962 International Harvester Farmall 140 tractor.  It has had some issues lately.  My son and I started work on it before I got sick.  It needed the carburetor cleaned and rebuilt and a full tune up.  In the process, we determined the water pump was "singing", so we replaced it.  That led to a new radiator.  My sine did the tune up, carb work and water pump.  Today I finished installing the radiator.  I tightened all the hose clamps on MY WORK but didn't on my son's work. 

Turned out he didn't tighten the clamps he put on.  Once they were tight it quit leaking but only after I lost half the water and antifreeze. 

All dumb and likely partly caused by Covid-19 brain fog. Yep that's it-Covid-19 fog. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Nebraska

Just a little  sawing tip 😉....Yes I am cutting an ash log that I needed to do last year. It's pretty  dry and hard... Gee that band isn't cutting well and I've only got about 80ft of running on it... kinda wavy cuts, powers not right, man Richard musta had an off day sharpening this one...Dull already...Had to quit and go look at a cow. Well l put the machines away  the night here sun is down about dark now...

Pushed the head back into my shed, started to de -tension the band...Hmm blades cut much better if you tension them properly to start the session....I know I've posted this one before but eventually I will learn.  At least i didn't knock my band off and ruin it.. ::)

WV Sawmiller

Boy, your sharpener guy must be good if you can even cut with no tension on your blade even if the cut is wavy.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Nebraska

Never know he might actually read this and take the due credit for a good resharp. :)

Patrick NC

Quote from: SawyerTed on May 25, 2022, 08:18:59 PM
Multiple dumb things for the price of none!  None were really terrible but given the circumstances, I'm mighty thankful to be able to do dumb things.

First, I've been awfully sick for 3 weeks with a full case of Covid-19. The first 6 or 7 days are a blur.  The good news is today was my first day feeling near normal.

The first thing I did this afternoon was install two no flat tires and wheels on the front of my zero turn mower.  That's not what was dumb.  What was dumb is trying to catch up on mowing and getting the mower stuck twice!  Had to get the tractor to pull it out both times. It's been wet here.

Then I needed to drain some excess water from the pool from the monsoon rains we've had since Sunday.  So I opened the drain on the filter.  The pressure blew the cap out of my hand and it bounced off the rocks in the drainage area.  It disappeared.  It took about 10 minutes to find it.  Fortunately, there was plenty of water in the pool.

The last dumb thing had the potential to be a bucket of misery.  I have a 1962 International Harvester Farmall 140 tractor.  It has had some issues lately.  My son and I started work on it before I got sick.  It needed the carburetor cleaned and rebuilt and a full tune up.  In the process, we determined the water pump was "singing", so we replaced it.  That led to a new radiator.  My sine did the tune up, carb work and water pump.  Today I finished installing the radiator.  I tightened all the hose clamps on MY WORK but didn't on my son's work.

Turned out he didn't tighten the clamps he put on.  Once they were tight it quit leaking but only after I lost half the water and antifreeze.

All dumb and likely partly caused by Covid-19 brain fog. Yep that's it-Covid-19 fog.
Ted, 
 I know this is a light hearted topic, but on a more serious note  covid brain is a real thing. I have had a  lot of problems since I had covid in January.  Slowly improving,  but not right yet. Not only mental,  but my blood pressure and cholesterol problems have mysteriously resurfaced after several years of not being an issue.  I'm glad you got through it OK, but be aware that there can be some lingering effects for some people. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Thank You Sponsors!