iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

spare tire mount question

Started by Jim_Rogers, September 26, 2020, 09:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

I recently bought a spare tire for my Woodmizer LT30HDG25 sawmill. And I was wondering where I could mount this spare.
Does anyone have a picture of where they mounted theirs?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

KirkD

Good question I have been wondering the same thing. I was thinking maybe a mount that would go on the back end of the rail that could be removed with a hitch pin?
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

WV Sawmiller

I moved my mill to the front lot a week ago and had a flat and have my spare on the mill right now. This is a very good question. I wonder if I can mount it with a big U-bolt tire holder like on my boat trailer tongue? I'll be watching this thread with interest.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

moosehunter

I mount mine in the back of my truck. Just before I leave I throw it and the truck spare in the bed. When I get home I throw them back out!!
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

WV Sawmiller

MH,

I do that too but I'd rather only load it one more time if I had the option. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I could never find a place on the sawmill where the spare could be permanently mounted without filling up with sawdust and I was/am not interested in dealing with it on every setup and tear down. 

So I carry my spare in the back of the truck between the fuel/lube jugs and the truck and secure it with straps.

In 19 years of portable sawing I used the spare for the first/only time this year.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Resonator

OldJarhead had a tire mount custom made on page 44 of his thread: 

Sawmills and Milling / Re: OldJarheads Milling Thread... 
 « Message by OlJarhead on May 29, 2017, 11:52:05 AM »
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

GAB

Good question and I will be interested in what ideas come up.
Remember it needs to be such that it does not interfere when adding an extension bed to the mill.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

OlJarhead

In short, weld a plate to a steel square tube that fits inside the leg.  Weld 2 bolts to the plate that you can bolt the spare too and then drop it into place once the leg is raised for travel :)  Works like a charm.

Kinda hard to see here

A little better

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Sixacresand

Oljarhead, I like the gas can rack on the rear of the mill.  

It can be a challenge to not forget the spare, jack or lug wrench. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

After reading this I may rethink my spare tire carry.  I can't do Erik's mod because I have FAO's but there may be another option.  I have never liked my present "back of the truck" carry.

I bet that there is a very simple solution that I am overlooking.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dana Stanley

Can it go underneath just ahead of the axle? Use a GM truck spare tire crank cable thingy. 
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

terrifictimbersllc

I used to just put my spare over the front backstop on my 2001 lt40 super. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

OlJarhead

The thing I like about mine is that it is seconds off or on.  Just pull up and lay on the ground away from mill.  When finished just set it back in place :)

I will get some pics for ya

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Magicman on September 28, 2020, 08:48:42 AMI bet that there is a very simple solution that I am overlooking.

If you have a removable hitch, make a mount that is attached to that.  Remove the hitch and tire all in one.  Another option would be to attach a mount to one of your fenders that you normally remove every time.  Or, you fold over your log loader on the bed?  Make a mount on that that (Tom) plugs in.  Raise the loader to vertical, pull a pin (like a hitch pin) and set aside with your fenders when you are setting up.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

I tried this today.  The spare sat nicely in the operator's seat foot well and I secured it to the folded up step so it is secure.

Problem is that I carry my wheel chocks and leveling boards in that foot well, so this probably will not be the "final answer".

Jim_Rogers

First of all thanks for all the pictures and suggestions.

I wanted my spare tire mount to be something that I wouldn't have to add to the mill and remove from the mill when packing up to do a "on site" job.
I wanted it to be there all the time when sawing or traveling.

Many years ago, about 20 years, I bought a small camping travel trailer to use for different events:

As you can see I had a spare tire mounted on the frame in front of the trailer.
I used a "U" bolt to hold it to a bracket I made just to hold the tire.
Long ago, I gave the trailer to a fellow who had helped me out a lot on fixing my plow truck.
He didn't want the spare tire. It is brand new, as it has never been on the road, ever.
I had this spare in a pile of other spares in the bushes near my shop/office.
I figured I could use that "U" bolt again.
Now to just get it off the camping trailer spare:

I had been in the bushes so long that a bush grew up through the spoke holes.
What I time I had getting that out of the weeds.
But I did manage to get the "U" bolt back.
Next, I needed a bracket that was strong and not wooden like the last one.
I was concerned that a wooden one could split while traveling down the road.
I found a piece of flat bar and got a friend to punch two holes through it this morning at his welding shop.
I just finished mounting it to the mill:

There it is on the front diagonal bar between the main frame and the first bed rail.
I wanted to be able to get it off without laying down on the ground to undo the lug nuts. And to be able to see the lug nuts to make sure that the bracket is tight.
I will have to see how this goes when I take it down the road, but as of right now it looks good to me.
And the front movable bed rail clears the top of the "U" bolt, which was one concern I had.
I'm just sharing this for anyone else to use on their mill.

Jim Rogers

Ljohnsaw

Jim, there is a lot of leverage on that bolt from the tire weight and how off-center you mounted it.  Can you do it through the lug holes in the rim so it will be more centered?  Or will it interfere with what looks like a cable behind the tire?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Dana Stanley

Quote from: ljohnsaw on October 03, 2020, 10:06:25 AM
Jim, there is a lot of leverage on that bolt from the tire weight and how off-center you mounted it.  Can you do it through the lug holes in the rim so it will be more centered?  Or will it interfere with what looks like a cable behind the tire?
I agree, and I would find a piece of angle instead of a flat strap, as it won't bend so easy and come loose. If your ever in the area, I would weld an angle or c channel on there for you! Once something comes loose, vibration can turn a nut loose to the point of falling off in minutes. 
Turning the bracket like you have it is good, puts the u bolt next to the frame, but if it isn't welded in place it will turn, bend, and loosen up.
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: ljohnsaw on October 03, 2020, 10:06:25 AM
J  Can you do it through the lug holes in the rim so it will be more centered?  Or will it interfere with what looks like a cable behind the tire?
I could have but that moves the tire back under the tube to the point where the top of the u-bolt effect the moving log rest. I most likely will double nut it. the cable has never been used.
I agree with a piece of angle iron and I may upgrade to that after I see how it travels once or twice.
Jim Rogers
PS thanks for your advice.

WV Sawmiller

Looks wonky to me. :-\ I'd center the U-bolt in the lug nut holes as that is how they are designed to fit snug and I'd find a bigger piece of square stock on the mill to keep it from sliding or rotating or I'd fill in the gap between the metal and the sides of the U-bolt so it could not rotate or slide. (I bet you know somebody who could cut you a piece of wood that size. :D) It does not look secure to me right now. Looks like it is going to slide and bounce around and would knock the rest of the paint off and it would rust badly and quickly. 
Howard Green

Magicman

I'm glad that you posed this question Jim.  My Reply #5 showed how I had been carrying my spare and Reply #15 showed an alternative that I tried.  I knew that #15 was not gonna work because it took up traveling space that I had been using.  My latest endeavor seems head bonking simple and I believe that it may be the winner for me.

A 2" ratchet strap securing the tire tightly to the sawmill frame and then a 1" strap serving as a safety/secondary strap.  Since the spare will be removed while sawing it won't be a trap for sawdust & bark while sawing.

Jim_Rogers

After all the words of caution, I have been thinking about buying a proper spare tire mount. They sell them at harbor freight as well as many other places.
I may get one of those and see if I can attach it in a fashion that won't interfere with my movable bed rail and low enough so that it is below the main bed rails, but not so low that it will hit the ground.
I just bought two nuts to double nut the "U" bolt and got the wrong thread pattern. I'll have to take one off and go to the store and get others that match the threads, if I'm going to continue to use that "U"bolt.

Jim Rogers

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

Looks secure but not for me. I'm looking for a place and way to mount my spare tire one time on the mill and never touch it again till I have a flat just like on my truck or my boat trailer. I don't want to load and unload every time I move the mill which I would have to do as shown.  :(

We can always use more space but right now my mill spare tire is the first thing I load on my truck, I load tools and fuel cans and leveling boards and such around and lower in the truck bed than it but I never touch it again till I finish my job and unload it again at the barn after I finish the job. 

I combat load my truck with the bands being loaded last as they are the first thing I need at the sawing site. The items I take as insurance but hope not to need go on first and normally never move unless something breaks. I'll bet you a full bowl of cheese grits you do the same way with the first things you need loaded last for immediate access.  ;)

Howard Green

Magicman

I have had a "permanent" mount as shown in Reply #5 for several years.  My problem has always been that it was secured with straps and was subject to shifting, plus it took up truck bed space.  I have always been unwilling to mount it permanently under the trapezoid on the front or the back.  Sure a solid cover would keep the top clean but I don't want to loose any of the trapezoid on either end.

I can always put it back in the truck bed but I'll try this latest arrangement and see how it works out.

OlJarhead

finally got the poc you needed :)  hope its not too late

Jim_Rogers

Jim_Rogers

I just hauled my sawmill some 900 miles south and the spare tire rode nicely and never moved along the rail.
I did double nut the "U" bolt:

Jim Rogers

DanMc

On the subject of spare tires, I was pleasantly surprised that WM only wanted $115 for a spare tire on a rim.  The last time I picked up a similar wheel at Tractor Supply, it cost me over $200.  Today I called WM to confirm my LT35 order, so I added a second spare, mostly as a better spare for my landscaping trailer.  They said that the spare tire would be $176 on a fresh order today, but they'd maintain my price of $115 from my original order.  Nice.  
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

Ben Cut-wright

That tire is OEM 175/75-13. I use it for a spare.  I have 205/75-15" tires on the road axles and have stored one of them on that same device when I had a flat tire just the other rainy, cold, dark, late night on the interstate. The spare tire lives there all the time and does not interfere with anything.  I use the tire as a shelf to tote securely strapped extra fuel tanks.

<b

Stephen1

Ben that looks pretty good. Can you give us some better pics of the holding device?
I would like mine mounted permanently also. I used to carry a spare and load and unload it each time. Some where along the way it did not get loaded back on for the return trip. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

DanMc

I find it a bit puzzling why WM hasn't figured this out.  If you get a flat on a long drive, what do you do?  Leave a $40,000+++ piece of equipment alone on the road while you hunt for a replacement tire?  Trash the rim, driving to a safe place where now you need more than just a tire?  I would expect the mill to at least have some mounting brackets and perhaps the spare tire mount would be an option for them to offer.
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

NaySawyer

Yes .. more pics please .. can not make out what l am looking at.
To mount above the trailer l like jar heads.  For under the trailer l like the old tried and true pick up spare hanging from a crank up cable under the bed.
Btw .. the 93 LT40 recommended tire is an st215/75R14 (not 15", mine had 13s on it!).  PA, Canada's HF, has them  now for 129 cdn.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: NaySawyer on May 23, 2023, 09:55:18 AMFor under the trailer l like the old tried and true pick up spare hanging from a crank up cable under the bed.

This is a great idea, these tire hoists are only about $50 or so. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

fluidpowerpro

Or if you know anyone that scraps old pickup trucks, ask them to keep an eye out for one for you.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

OlJarhead

Mines simple, just square tubing with a tire mount welded to it and a few studs to hold the spare on it.  Slides into an outrigger and away you go.

Nice thing is that once on the jobsite I just yank it off and set it asside until it's time to hit the road again, like the fenders :D

NaySawyer

In all fairness someone gave a more technical description of a tire hanger earlier .. lol

Ben Cut-wright

Quote from: NaySawyer on May 23, 2023, 09:55:18 AM
Yes .. more pics please .. can not make out what l am looking at.
To mount above the trailer l like jar heads.  For under the trailer l like the old tried and true pick up spare hanging from a crank up cable under the bed.
Btw .. the 93 LT40 recommended tire is an st215/75R14 (not 15", mine had 13s on it!).  PA, Canada's HF, has them  now for 129 cdn.
What you are looking at is all there is.

Your tire specs aren't relevant to my post.  The original OEM tires for my sawmill were B78-13" which converts to current metric 175/75-13". No idea why those particulars are in question. 

I added the sizes to indicate the spare mounting would accommodate the different sizes. The reason I upgraded to 15" tires was because I added hydraulics to the mill.  The smaller diameter OEM tires did not permit the the loader arms to land anywhere near flush and level.  14" tires are better but 15" tires permit the loader arms to land with a few inches upward tilt.  The small tires put the hydraulic fuses very close to contacting grade before using the landing jacks.  Instead of risking the fuses, or having to spend extra time jacking the deck up to level the log loader, I selected 15" tires.  That size tire puts the loader perfectly flush after leveling the deck with much less jacking required and has a much higher load rating.

I would NOT use a harbor fraught tire even for parking duty. 

Magicman

I would not want a spare mounted in any way that it would collect sawdust/debris while sawing.

Ben Cut-wright

No significant amount of sawdust accumulates for any length of time on the spare tire.  Probably less sawdust on the spare than on the road tires during sawing.  That little bit of sawdust on the wheel in the photo got there because the spare went on the ground and stayed there until I got the flat fixed.  This photo was immediately after hanging the spare back on its carrier.  Much of the dust vibrates or blows off most of the mill when transporting between jobs.  I can verify that tire and wheel have been mounted there for at least a decade by the date code on the tire.

Even the most minimum maintenance would dictate dusting the mill long before any damage from rotted sawdust would occur.  If a neglectful operator fails to preform proper maintenance, a spare tire cover could be easily fabricated.    

Stephen1

I put new tires on my mill yesterday. I kept 1 tire and bought a new rim so I now have a spare for my mill. I thought where I am going to put this spare? No rim left in the truck, so I remember Terrifictimberllc saying he just put the spare on the upright back stop and it  fits pretty good. Thanks Dennis!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Old Greenhorn

It's amazing what you can learn just riding in a rental car between Atlanta and the sawing project, ain't it? (I know I dozed off a bit during that conversation, but I remember the 'tire discussion'.) :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!