Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

finally got the poc you needed :)  hope its not too late
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

I just hauled my sawmill some 900 miles south and the spare tire rode nicely and never moved along the rail.
I did double nut the "U" bolt:

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

DanMc

On the subject of spare tires, I was pleasantly surprised that WM only wanted $115 for a spare tire on a rim.  The last time I picked up a similar wheel at Tractor Supply, it cost me over $200.  Today I called WM to confirm my LT35 order, so I added a second spare, mostly as a better spare for my landscaping trailer.  They said that the spare tire would be $176 on a fresh order today, but they'd maintain my price of $115 from my original order.  Nice.  
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

Ben Cut-wright

That tire is OEM 175/75-13. I use it for a spare.  I have 205/75-15" tires on the road axles and have stored one of them on that same device when I had a flat tire just the other rainy, cold, dark, late night on the interstate. The spare tire lives there all the time and does not interfere with anything.  I use the tire as a shelf to tote securely strapped extra fuel tanks.

<b

Stephen1

Ben that looks pretty good. Can you give us some better pics of the holding device?
I would like mine mounted permanently also. I used to carry a spare and load and unload it each time. Some where along the way it did not get loaded back on for the return trip. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

DanMc

I find it a bit puzzling why WM hasn't figured this out.  If you get a flat on a long drive, what do you do?  Leave a $40,000+++ piece of equipment alone on the road while you hunt for a replacement tire?  Trash the rim, driving to a safe place where now you need more than just a tire?  I would expect the mill to at least have some mounting brackets and perhaps the spare tire mount would be an option for them to offer.
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

NaySawyer

Yes .. more pics please .. can not make out what l am looking at.
To mount above the trailer l like jar heads.  For under the trailer l like the old tried and true pick up spare hanging from a crank up cable under the bed.
Btw .. the 93 LT40 recommended tire is an st215/75R14 (not 15", mine had 13s on it!).  PA, Canada's HF, has them  now for 129 cdn.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: NaySawyer on May 23, 2023, 09:55:18 AMFor under the trailer l like the old tried and true pick up spare hanging from a crank up cable under the bed.

This is a great idea, these tire hoists are only about $50 or so. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

fluidpowerpro

Or if you know anyone that scraps old pickup trucks, ask them to keep an eye out for one for you.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

OlJarhead

Mines simple, just square tubing with a tire mount welded to it and a few studs to hold the spare on it.  Slides into an outrigger and away you go.

Nice thing is that once on the jobsite I just yank it off and set it asside until it's time to hit the road again, like the fenders :D
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

NaySawyer

In all fairness someone gave a more technical description of a tire hanger earlier .. lol

Ben Cut-wright

Quote from: NaySawyer on May 23, 2023, 09:55:18 AM
Yes .. more pics please .. can not make out what l am looking at.
To mount above the trailer l like jar heads.  For under the trailer l like the old tried and true pick up spare hanging from a crank up cable under the bed.
Btw .. the 93 LT40 recommended tire is an st215/75R14 (not 15", mine had 13s on it!).  PA, Canada's HF, has them  now for 129 cdn.
What you are looking at is all there is.

Your tire specs aren't relevant to my post.  The original OEM tires for my sawmill were B78-13" which converts to current metric 175/75-13". No idea why those particulars are in question. 

I added the sizes to indicate the spare mounting would accommodate the different sizes. The reason I upgraded to 15" tires was because I added hydraulics to the mill.  The smaller diameter OEM tires did not permit the the loader arms to land anywhere near flush and level.  14" tires are better but 15" tires permit the loader arms to land with a few inches upward tilt.  The small tires put the hydraulic fuses very close to contacting grade before using the landing jacks.  Instead of risking the fuses, or having to spend extra time jacking the deck up to level the log loader, I selected 15" tires.  That size tire puts the loader perfectly flush after leveling the deck with much less jacking required and has a much higher load rating.

I would NOT use a harbor fraught tire even for parking duty. 

Magicman

I would not want a spare mounted in any way that it would collect sawdust/debris while sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ben Cut-wright

No significant amount of sawdust accumulates for any length of time on the spare tire.  Probably less sawdust on the spare than on the road tires during sawing.  That little bit of sawdust on the wheel in the photo got there because the spare went on the ground and stayed there until I got the flat fixed.  This photo was immediately after hanging the spare back on its carrier.  Much of the dust vibrates or blows off most of the mill when transporting between jobs.  I can verify that tire and wheel have been mounted there for at least a decade by the date code on the tire.

Even the most minimum maintenance would dictate dusting the mill long before any damage from rotted sawdust would occur.  If a neglectful operator fails to preform proper maintenance, a spare tire cover could be easily fabricated.    

Stephen1

I put new tires on my mill yesterday. I kept 1 tire and bought a new rim so I now have a spare for my mill. I thought where I am going to put this spare? No rim left in the truck, so I remember Terrifictimberllc saying he just put the spare on the upright back stop and it  fits pretty good. Thanks Dennis!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Old Greenhorn

It's amazing what you can learn just riding in a rental car between Atlanta and the sawing project, ain't it? (I know I dozed off a bit during that conversation, but I remember the 'tire discussion'.) :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!