iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer debarker swing motor pulley

Started by Bruno of NH, April 08, 2021, 07:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

My debarker swing motor pulley is constantly breaking the roll pin and the motor shaft once with 950 hrs
Anyone have this issue or a fix besides the 100 roll pins i ordered yesterday. 
Sometimes I wish I didn't get the debarker because it's down more than in use.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

jmouton

i know what you mean ,,  we barely use our debarker ,, havent broke that pin ,but have bent and broke it off once 
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

trimguy

I'm following this, I didn't realize there was the issue with a debarkers. When I ordered my mill I did not get one. I started putting a little money aside to get one because I think it would be a big benefit. But if it's going to be too much bother but I won't. Mine is not the wide model.

Southside

The debarker is worth having on any mill, no comparison with band life.  As far as the roll pin goes -  yup, it's a poor design, WM loves roll pins by the way, fixed mine several times then used a 3/32" 6013 shape shifting, plasma phase, roll pin installed using about 40 amps of juice provided by my Miller Bobcat - never had an issue since. Just remove the motor from the frame and disconnect it before performing the installation so you don't short something more expensive.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Maybe a different design but I have never broken a pin nor had any issue with my Debarker and it is used on every log that I saw.  During the past 20 years I have done everything imaginable wrong to it.  Popped the breaker many times, ran it into the log turner claw a couple of times, set it down on a log/cant many times, replaced the bearings & brushes, and used at least 3-4 blades that are worn and have teeth busted off.  The swing motor is still original, original roll pin, and it still has the original brushes.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

I don't want to jinx myself, but I'm yet to break a roll pin. The trouble I have is the pin/bracket that holds the debarker while traveling. The original got mangled WM gave me the upgrade version and I can't keep bolts in it. I'm about to use some high temp 7018 glue. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

barbender

I have the original mark 1, belt driven debarker. Not breaking any roll pins is one of the benefits of this vintage design, I guess😁 It doesn't have enough power to make use of the original blade, I use custom bent 7 1/4 circular saw blades on it now and it does a great job. Before that modification, I would've been thrilled to hear the new ones had an issue because them I could at least be happy mine got one thing right 😊
Too many irons in the fire

Bruno of NH

I'm thinking it more of a problem with the wide head.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

Don't get me wrong 
I like it when it's working.
I want to be sawing not putting a pin in once a day.

Southside

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

The Woodmizer has changed my life.
The orders just keep rolling in . I like the debarker

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Crossroads on April 08, 2021, 11:52:45 PMThe trouble I have is the pin/bracket that holds the debarker while traveling.
Are you referring to the semicircular plate with the rubber stop on the back end? Held by two 1/4-20 bolts? I broke one off trying to tighten it then an ez off in that, so drilled and tapped a new hole.  Now I tighten those fairly often by hand to keep the plate tight.  Really should have 5/16-fine thread bolts there instead. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Quote from: Bruno of NH on April 09, 2021, 06:30:08 AMI'm thinking it more of a problem with the wide head.
OK, yours would be a completely different design from mine. 

Just wondering if you could drill it out and install the next larger roll pin, but then something else more expensive might be the weakest link.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bandmill Bandit

I had this issue a few years back. 

Solution is a dowel pin instead of a roll pin. Dowel pin is a solid pin with shallow "V" pressed into the length of it. They come in in same grade ratings as bolts I used a grade #8 and it has not been a problem since it did the change. 

Got mine at a John Deere dealer but can't recall application at the moment. They came in a 2 pak. They are not cheap.

https://www.mscdirect.com/industrialtools/grade-8-alloy-dowel-pin.html

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Southside

There isn't enough meat on the drive arbor to drill it any larger and yes a dowel pin would be a good solution. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

jecudoc

I have similar issues with my LT40 Super, wide head.  Mine breaks the pins then wallows out the hole in the shaft of the motor and then eventially the motor shaft.   I'm going to try a smaller roll pin inside of the 1/8" one that it comes with and see if that helps to stop the stock one from flexing.

Thank You Sponsors!