iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OS23 Belt replacement

Started by Archer, December 27, 2021, 05:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archer

I have used two Napa blades and thus far nothing has worked like the factory belt.  I've also noticed I don't need an idler belt as often as a drive belt, so buying the $80 spare part kit from Frontier doesn't make much financial sense to me.

So.....Does anyone know the exact size or very close to what Frontier uses as their drive belts on the OS23?  I know it's either 73-74", I currently have a 74.75" belt on it, but that's a "make it" work belt.  I'd prefer to have what's suppose to be on it.  Seemed to mill hardwood better with factory belt versus the Napa replacement I used.

Thank you all!

newoodguy78

I can't help but if this is for a mill you might want to ask an admin to move this to the sawmill and milling section. 
For sure someone over there smarter than me will have an answer to your question. 
Best of luck. 

Jdock

I use the cheap green ones from tractor supply, I believe with the 7.5hp it a 5/8 x74. The 10hp option has a smaller pulley/clutch and takes a slightly shorter belt. The green belts take a few cuts to wear into the right shape to fit the groove in the bandwheel and have to be re tensioned a couple times but seem to do pretty good afterwards. For the difference in price it's definitely worth the extra hassle for me. 

APope

You should be able to look in your manual and decipher the drive belt size.
I have an OS31. It shares drive belt with the OS27. The part number is MlLL-DBB83.
This stands for mill, drive belt, B83... I buy a name brand belt in size B83 for my mill. The original was labeled with the metric method of measuring. 17 X 2100LI, 17 x 2184LO.  This is size across in millimeters and then length inside and length outside, also in millimeters.
Unafraid to use my chainsaw, JD 2640, Frontier OS31

MillDave

Hi Archer. Did you happen to find a good aftermarket belt for your mill?  I have the 7.5hp and the factory 74" belt is measured inner diameter not like common v-belts measured outer diameter. Like you, I'm tired of paying frontier and was wondering if you found one that worked for you.
There's never enough stickers.

APope

Welcome to the forum MillDave.  Most metric measured belts have a LI length inner and LO  length outer printed on them.
Unafraid to use my chainsaw, JD 2640, Frontier OS31

MillDave

Quote from: APope on September 11, 2022, 12:14:13 PM
Welcome to the forum MillDave.  Most metric measured belts have a LI length inner and LO  length outer printed on them.
Hello and thank you APope. Your correct. The original poster was getting belts at Napa and the boys we have here were measuring the outer diameter. I've never used a belt from Napa and was curious of what the OP ended up getting...  I did the math and found a typical B series 5/8" belt would have to be 77" to fit my mill that takes a 74" x 17mm belt. Thankfully late last night I found a seller on eBay that sells the exact size oem belt I need for just over $13. Beats the $80 plus shipping and have to wait up to 3 months from the manufacture. I've had to go thru that twice up until now. Thanks APope. Happy Sunday!
There's never enough stickers.

Thank You Sponsors!