iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quotes

Started by Magicman, May 21, 2022, 07:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I know that this is the "Sawmills and Milling" Board and this is not related to sawmilling, but guys;

Please limit your use of quotes.  We all can follow a conversation without having to muddle through a bunch of quotes which can be confusing and distracting.  Within the past couple of days I have also seen instances where the post above the reply was quoted for no reason.

I realize that the Admins usually police this but they should not have to.  Let's quit using all of Jeff's "Quote Fluid".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

It is so prevalent that it is difficult and frustrating to manage.  Quoting the post previous to the one you are making is redundant and should not be done. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jasonb

If the forum is not setup to reply to a certain poster, then how does anyone know who is being replied to and what portion of their post is being discussed?
HM122

newoodguy78

Just to try and get people on the same page, when is the appropriate time to the quote function?
I tend to use it if replying directly to someone a few posts back. Should I not be doing that?

Magicman

I see the Quote function as useful for the above two instances.  That is it's purpose.  It's just when they stack up or the post above the reply gets quoted that it is redundant and useless. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

You can highlight portions of a post and not the whole post. Quoting posts with a string of quotes in it is kinda overdoing it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

doc henderson

If you are quoting and are replying to a single line, it makes more sense to delete everything but the one line you are referring to.  you can highlight and delete or back space and erase everything but what you want (including the pictures).  The same is true when you tag someone.  I used to do it a lot.  i liked it when I got tagged, but some feel it is not needed when that person is active in the thread.  some feel it is a nuisance.  It is good to bring someone into the thread that is not currently.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

jasonb

Quote from: doc henderson on May 21, 2022, 09:20:28 AMIf you are quoting and are replying to a single line, it makes more sense to delete everything but the one line you are referring to.

Before hitting reply, if you highlight the portion of the quote that you want to copy, a bubble will appear that says "QUOTE SELECTION".  Click on that and that will create a reply window with only the highlighted as the quote and not the whole post.
HM122

beenthere

Could maybe solve by removing the "Add multiple quote" feature (I think).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rusticretreater

I have done the highlight the text and then quote the selection.  More often, I just say "as 2 Jugs mentioned above...".  The use of the quote feature is to narrow the conversation down to a point or two and should always highlight the text that is relevant and nothing else.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

WDH

Quoting the post just prior is still happening commonly, and I resolve and pledge to politely ask each time that it happens that the poster refrain from doing so in the future :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!