iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forestry winch and JD 3032E

Started by Medic198, March 05, 2023, 08:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic198

Hello all, I haver been researching skidding winches and I currently run a JD 3032E (31hp motor) and (25hp PTO) and I am stuck between a Wallenstein FX40 and FX 85. Specs say the 85 will run from 30-50 hp but does not specify if that is motor HP or PTO HP. I am not going to be winching gigantic trees, just 12-20ft lengths for my sawmill, just to forward them out of the woods. Can anyone give me any insight it the 85 would just be too big or would the FX 40 be too small. I kind of would like to be on the lower end of bigger if I ever upgrade my tractor. 

Thank you. 

wisconsitom

I think, and maybe others will corroborate, that these winches punch above their weight, so to speak.  I've got the smallest version made by another mfr on my 24.5hp tractor, and I'd guess even that setup would do what you suggest you're going to be into.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

thecfarm

Did you go to the Wallenstein website?
Engine HP for the FX40 is 12-30.
Engine HP for the FX80 is 30-55.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Medic198

Quote from: thecfarm on March 05, 2023, 08:40:08 PM
Did you go to the Wallenstein website?
Engine HP for the FX40 is 12-30.
Engine HP for the FX80 is 30-55.
I did, and I have 31 hp. so the question is do 
I go for the low end of the HP and limit my 3pt capacity or max out the smaller one within reason? 

thecfarm

I sure don't know, but you are talking about upgrading to a bigger tractor?
Can you see both in person side by side?
If the 80 is a lot bigger then the 40 would have to do.
Then too the 80 may not fit your tractor without spacing the tires out wider.
I have a 30 hp and a 40hp tractor. I don't think my Norse winch would fit on the 30 without moving the rear tires out.
But saying that, I would want a wide stance on the rear.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dougtrr2

I currently have a Farmi winch on my Kubota BX24, a small tractor.  I ran into an issue where I could pull a log with my winch, but did not have the capacity left  to lift the log for transport.

The FX85 is 470 lbs, the FX40 is 280.  If you happen to approach the limits of your 3 point lift, you lose almost 200 lbs of lift capacity with the larger winch.  

I can't tell for sure from the pictures but it appears that the FX85 may have the capacity to tow from either the high or low position, while the FX40 does not.  It is safer to pull from the lower block, but sometimes it might be nice to get a little lift on the pull. (My Farmi only has a high pull so I can only speculate on advantage/disadvantage)

I would probably go with the larger winch, especially if there is the possibility of getting a larger tractor later.

Regardless of which winch you decide on, get the self releasing snatch block.  In my close quarters woods it is invaluable.  

Doug in SW IA

g_man

I think that the potential for problems is much bigger with a winch that is to big. And there is nothing to gain. There are no pto winches that are to small for a 30 hp tractor and as wisconsitom said a small winch is more than plenty strong for want you want to do. I have a Farmi 290 on my 30 hp L3010 and it is perfect and has plenty of pull. If you get a bigger tractor put it on that. If you decide that it doesn't work out sell it or trade it in towards a bigger one. Used winches are easy to sell and hold their value because they are hard to find and last forever.

gg

pamtnman

Tractor logging on flat ground is a great method. Tractor logging on steep or hilly ground results in lots of safety statistics here in PA, at least. The tractor winches look fabulous, but I am mostly on steep ground. So we have to use skidders and feller bunchers

Thank You Sponsors!