iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going in a different direction

Started by Patrick NC, May 31, 2023, 10:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

The last 6 months or so I've been doing a lot of grading work with my mini excavator and tractor. Still running the mill in the evenings and on days when it's too wet for grading. To make a long story short, the grading and excavating thing has quickly taken off and it has become time to add a skidsteer or CTL. In order to do that and still have some working capital I have come to the conclusion that I have to sell my mill. It's been a tough decision, but in the end I'm only 1 man and can't do both. I'm not going to completely abandon milling,  but need to concentrate on building my business first. 
 My mill has been listed in the appropriate section with the forum to receive its commission if it sells. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

barbender

Tough call, bold move. Are you thinking about going completely on your own eventually, or a side gig?
Too many irons in the fire

rusticretreater

You can always buy a mill later when you sell your business and retire.  America needs growing businesses. Good luck to you sir.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Patrick NC

Quote from: barbender on May 31, 2023, 10:11:15 AM
Tough call, bold move. Are you thinking about going completely on your own eventually, or a side gig?
Right now it will be a side gig.  Could turn into something bigger though. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

PoginyHill

Seems as there is always a shortage of dirt workers - particularly those willing to do smaller jobs. I'm toying with a similar idea for my "retirement". Slowly working on collecting equipment as I do my own projects in the meantime.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Mooseherder

Between a Sawmill and an Excavator.  Excavation is more fun in my book.  :)
Best tooyl ever.  I need a dump trailer next.

mudfarmer

At this time there are 6 bandmills -that I know of- on my 9 mile road. Woodmizer, TK, Norwood. New neighbor says he wants to buy a mill :D There are not .666667 excavators per mile, that's for sure. Good on ya

mudfarmer

.7777778 per mile, I forgot one that just showed up last year :D

Old Greenhorn

Mudfarmer, I get your point, but I think your math needs checking. If you have 7 mills on a 9 mile road, that is 1.29 miles per mill. My road is 2.7 miles long and we have .54 miles per mill. But I can't count excavators on my road, with 3 construction outfits on my road there are too many to count and most are out on jobs most of the time. If I had to guess, I'd say probably close to 20ish.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

moodnacreek

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on May 31, 2023, 04:56:09 PM
Mudfarmer, I get your point, but I think your math needs checking. If you have 7 mills on a 9 mile road, that is 1.29 miles per mill. My road is 2.7 miles long and we have .54 miles per mill. But I can't count excavators on my road, with 3 construction outfits on my road there are too many to count and most are out on jobs most of the time. If I had to guess, I'd say probably close to 20ish.
On the road to camp in the Adirondacks about every fourth house has a Woodmizer. The full time guys have circle. The mini excavator craze has not started up there yet.

Resonator

Selling a mill can be a tough call, but you do what you have to, to keep the business successful.

One of my goals is to get an excavator of my own, as it is one of the handiest machines out there for doing a number of different paying jobs. A skid steer also is good purchase as it can pay for itself, especially with different attachments for different jobs. Build a reputation as a good operator, and you'll have plenty of work. smiley_thumbsup
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

moodnacreek

Having sawed for 43 years, the first 20 part time, and outlasted the other small mills i can say it is hard to make a living with just a sawmill. You need another income, something to sell besides your lumber or a rental even just space for trucks to park. I tried selling logs on a small scale a few times , just enough to see how the market can crash. My second income was my wifes county full time job. Without that this ride would of crashed a long time ago.  Seems like all those young guys with a skid steer/ mini excavator are getting bigger and I am sure it will work for Patrick also.

Crossroads

I went full time with the sawmill 2 years ago with the excavator and skiddy on the side. In 21&22 the sawmill dominated my business. This year is different, I'm doing less mobile milling and more custom milling from home. Also the excavation side of things is starting to take off. I've had a new mill on order since 1/22 and now I'm having doubts about receiving it. Best wishes in your journey 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

thecfarm

I bet it will work out well for you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mudfarmer

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on May 31, 2023, 04:56:09 PM
I'm just getting to my coffee but now my head hurts. mills per mile vs miles per mill. 7 mills in 9 miles = 7/9=.7778? 9 miles with 7 mills = 9/7 = 1.29 ??? You got my point that's the important part haha

barbender

Patrick, you and I have a lot of similarities in ways. I worked on a paving and gravel shaping crew for many years. I used to do some gravel work to the side, and I've thought of getting back into that. I think I can make more money, for less effort than I do with the mill and firewood. A lot of days when the weather isn't ideal, and I'm out making firewood bundles or stacking lumber, I think to myself, "it's a lot easier running skid steer!". I'm almost 48 and I'm out there working like I'm 20😬😂

All of that to say, I think I understand your move.

WV Sawmiller

Patrick,

Just to ease your mind - even if you sell your mill, we will still love you. :D

However, looking into my sawdust clouded, smokey crystal ball - I see a time in the future when you are out there doing site prep work in what was formerly a heavily wooded area pushing over prime sawlog trees and the customer is going to tell you "Take them to the dump or just push them over in the burn pile" and you are going to wake up screaming every night for weeks to come. ::)

Do you know of any other mill owners nearby you can partner with for sawing when you encounter good sawlogs in your new endeavors?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

fluidpowerpro

Didn't you just add hydraulics to your mill? 
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

sealark37

Break a band mill: $$.  Break an excavator: $$$$$.

richhiway

Good luck! If you do quality like I know you will, you will be busy. Like sawmills everybody has a excavator but most of them are what I call Wal-Mart Contractors. I see  a lot of poor work on my day job. Also a lot of them turn a new machine into total junk in a year or two with zero maintenance and using a mini excavator like it is a D 8.
My uncle ran a two man excavation company for 40 years, many years ago I rebuilt his gas engine Diamond Reo tandem dump truck. It had about 250k miles on it and I put the original clutch back in it as it was still like new.  

You can make a lot more profit if you take care of your tools.

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

SawyerTed

Gotta make hay when the sun is up!  An entrepreneur has to see where the opportunities are and make choices.  

Demand is high for quality grading especially if you can do the smaller jobs.  I know you will not need it but I wish you all the best luck.

Stick around here too, please.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Resonator

QuoteAlso a lot of them turn a new machine into total junk in a year or two with zero maintenance and using a mini excavator like it is a D 8.
Those are the machines you see come up for auction that have been trashed by "operators". Worse yet they take a couple "good" pictures of them and sell them online. Then the buyer buys it site unseen, and gets a rude wakening when it's delivered.  ::)

barbender

There are so many of those guys around, I don't know how they get financing? But they really don't know what they're doing, but go full tilt like they do🤦

SawyerTed

And beware of DuPont overhauls on those second hand machines!  

A new paint job is deceiving to some.   
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Resonator

"Good from afar, but far from good." (Old saying). ;)

Thank You Sponsors!