iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is Buckeye trash?

Started by Broncman, June 03, 2023, 08:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Broncman

I got some large buckeyes and wondering if it is worth milling? Maybe for use in shipman for inside of cabins or sheds?

Ain't worth burning for fire wood for sure.
Frontier OS31 bandsaw mill
Dehumidifier Kiln with sanitize heat,
Honda Pioneer 1000-5
Stihl and Huskies...

WV Sawmiller

I have milled and dried it for woodburning purposes. My daughter works at a children's summer camp for kids with, survivors of and siblings with or who had cancer. They added woodburning as an activity and it seems to work well for that. I cut half inch thick, air dry and plane one side smooth. It is a soft fine grained wood.

It is not worth much for strength and durability and has high moisture so keep plenty of air flow and stickered well. I can't see why it would not do well for drawer material and such once dried. Treat it well with borax as the bugs like it IIRC.

BTW - it does a great job cleaning up your blades when sawing. It quickly removes any sap on the blade. I've got 2 8' logs ready to mill soon. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!