iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM Debarker added, working great, and now new parts!

Started by JCam, September 20, 2006, 12:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCam

Got the control package box Friday the 14th. The mechanical assembly parts came in a crushed box on Monday evening. The mounting arm had been placed in foam on the bottom of the box, the motor and blade assembly was also set into the foam base and they had a foam cap over the motor. Apparently the box was dropped. Without corner support around the top the parts came loose and banged against each other.

There were some missing fasteners.

Scratched up and dented guards.

I called Wood-Mizer about it and the tech asked what I wanted them to do about it! I was floored, suggested, ship in a better box, maybe I should have told him a wooden crate, offer to replace damaged/missing parts. Well, he was sorry, he'd tell shipping maybe they could use a better box.
After spending two hours installing the controls then two hours putting the bracket and motor on the saw... I'm a happy guy.

The installation manual is 98% right on the money.
If the weather holds out I'll be trying it out tomorrow.
Wood-Mizer LT40G25, a tractor, and a couple of chainsaws.

logwalker

I think I would put in a big claim to the shipper. That is not right. But I am surprised at the response that you got from WM. I expected better. LW
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

JCam

UPS guy said the packaging wasn't up to carrying the weight of the contents and the contents should have been packed to hold the items on all sides. I'm afraid I have to agree. WM did a poor job of packing a 100 pound load of iron in a single weight cardboard box. The response I recieved from them kind suprised me, too.
Anyway, the thing works like a charm.

The debarker cuts ahead of the blade and that takes some time to get the feel of.

This what the cut looks like, with the slab lifted you can see the step from the wide slot it cuts.

This is a view showing another flitch and you can see the cut from the debarker on top and the full width cut where the saw blade cut through the log.
I'm a happy guy 8)
Until I did this to the clamp cutting the cant...

::) Took the points off the bottom side teeth and probably ruined the set, too.
I was cutting boards for stickers and got to close to the deck, John warned me... I just hate it when I do things like that

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

JCam

Well, after hitting the clamp and changing the blade I've cut another three logs. The blade is still sharp after cutting 300 bd/ft. of cottonwood with dirty bark. I'll be using it tomorrow to cut 2 more 20" x 4' into stickers. The way the thing cuts bark and throws it is a little scary at first but you get used to it.

bseago

There isn't any set on the debarker blade it just chips with a flat tooth. Get a face shild to wear because the debarker will shoot bark , snow, loose wood back in your face. Good luck with this new investment it is well worth the money.

sparks

JCam, are you saying our rep didn't offer to repalce the missing and damaged parts? I would like to know who you talked to if you can remember. If you can't no big deal, just email me and let me know what parts you need and I'll get them on the way. Even though it's already installed you still deserve the new parts. You paid for a new Debarker not a banged up one.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

JCam

bseago; Thanks, good idea I'll try using my Stihl chainsaw helmet it has a face shield.

Sparks; That's what I are sayin', and... I sent you an e-mail.

JCam

Sparks had these guards sent out, overnighted them, Thanks ;D

Thank You Sponsors!