iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Debarker Parts

Started by oregonsawer, July 23, 2009, 06:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oregonsawer

[[ >:(Hi fellow sawers
I have a lt70th remote mill.  About three weeks ago I was loading a 32in log and did't Have my carrage high enough.
Well the log hit my Debarker and broke my in and out motor on the debarker.
The one that pull and pusher the debarker in and out!

So on the phone to wood mizer Portland in Oregon.
Told the saleman what I needed
,And he acked a little confused so i told him again and told him it looked kind of like a hand gun,The shape of it that is.
He said oh yes I know just you are talking about.

So I asked how much and he said about One Hundread and ten dollars.
I said send me one.

So I wait a full eight working days and no motor.
I called portland and asked what is going on where is my debarker motor because the first guy I talked to said their was one in stock and I would have it in
two days.

So when I called back the second saleman told that it had not been ordered at all.
I was a little upset but he said he would send it and I would have it in two days.
Well this sounded like the first guy but I did not say any thing.
So in two days here comes the motor but it is the wrong one it is just like the in and out motor on the blade guide arm.

So I call back to Portland Oregon Madder than Hell.
So the guy tells me that it is the right motor And I tell him mine is shaped like a hand gun and he says he don,t know what I am talking about.
That they have always used the same motor as the blade guide arm.

So I got more upset and ask to talk to ken Barton and he is not their.
I asked for some one that new more and was told he new it all.

Then I asked what he was smoking and to send me some so I could be out their in la la land and he hung up on me, Go figure.

Then I called Wood Mizer in PA. And the saleman their was really hepful but he told me I would have to buy a up grade kit that the motor on mine was no longer in stock and the kit would cost about $460.00 with shiping.
I just about fell over in a dead fant.

Soooooooo my question is has any one had this problem or is it just me
Also why cant I buy the right part.  And when something brakes in the future am I going tro have to buy a up grade??????????

size=12pt][/size]font=Verdana][/font]

Dan_Shade

sorry to hear about your problems with the portland office.

As far as the part you need, sometimes manufacturers stop building certain parts, and the end consumer is the one that pays the price on it.

Good Luck.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

backwoods sawyer

I think the Portland office needs a good shake up from the main office as I have had problems with them on several occasions as well!!! I just get ahold of the Indy office and they send the parts to me thru the Portland office at no extra cost. (I always track my orders)
Like you, I had problems getting the motor for the debarker and a few other parts as the arm was badly damaged when I got the mill used. What I done was take an old hydraulic pump that I had replaced after the fire on the front of the mill and mounted it on the head and retrofitted a cylinder from a point near the drive wheel to the debarker with a flow control so I can set how fast it moves in and out. Problem solved.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

MartyParsons

OK I will try to help. You must have the first revision Debarker on the LT70. They had an electric actuator that moved the Debarker in and out. Some of these failed and they were redesigned with the revision parts we still use today. Here is what the manual says. " see below"

Actuator assembly replaced with new frame arm with in/out gear motor to improve performance and durability (See Section 6.3). Use
kit 036304 to retrofit Rev. A.00 Debarkers

I did know about the actuator but it was before I sold any LT70's.

I cant help you with Oregon, I will copy this and let them take care of it out there. I am glad we were able to help you here in PA. I have two guys working with the parts calls both are named Roger. Sounds like Roger answered your question. Not many options for me to help except to get you the upgrade in parts.

I am not sure how many upgrades have been done since you purchased your LT70. I would assume it has the 42 Kubota Diesel or Electric 25.

Marty

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

petefrom bearswamp

Sometimes the machine accessories and the answers you get from the manufacturer and reps suck.
It seems to me that if the debarker motor system was poorly designed in the first place the manufacturer should issue a recall similar to the automotive industry.
So far my machine works very well but it only has 110 hrs on it.
The people in Hannibal and Indy have been very helpful when I have had problems.
Also have gotten good responses from Sparks and Marty from posts.
My 2 cents
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Dan_Shade

the auto industry doesn't do recalls typically unless it's a safety issue.

Better ways to do things are constantly found, it's the benefit of shelling out for a new car/computer/mill/whatever. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

beenthere

Wow!!  :o :o
How fast we have grown to expect everything to be perfect, and if it is not perfect, then someone owes us a refund or to make it right.   That is the big government will care for you so don't worry about a thing syndrome, IMO.  :)

A real scary thought indeed, as it will not work in our favor.

A new product would never hit the market, as the company would develop, test, retest, and .... go under.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

petefrom bearswamp

Perfect? Yes especially when it is with expensive machinery.
I was not suggesting a handout. especially if the Gov't is involved as then it comes out of our collective pocket.
A recall/ upgrade  could be done by industry, and in  some cases is, excepting the auto industry which is indeed governed by saftey and could be quietly  added into prices to cover such stuff and then it would be out of the buyer's pocket without too much pain.
Notice that I said if poorly designed. this implies that the stuff should have been rigorously tested too.
Was in business for 26 years and when I made a mistake I corrected it.
Was awfully good for business.
On "attaboy" is worth many "O craps"
Another 2 cents
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

LeeB

Sorry, I don't see why a company should offer you a recall just because they changed the way they make their product. Parts go obsolete all the time. 8-tracks went away. Does that mean you should get a recall and be given an MP3? Time marches on, products change.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

backwoods sawyer

In my case, parts were no longer available, unlike the parts on my 76 ford. Rather then replace the whole debarker mounting hardware with the "new version" that operates in the same manor as the "old version" I converted it to a hydraulic system. For half the cost of the upgrade, and have no regrets about going hydraulic as it is a much more durable system. A hydraulic system on the debarker strait from the manufacture, now that would be an up grade.
I hope that all the manufactures continue to strive to improve all aspects of there mills, as that is why the mills that are available on the market today will produce the quality of wood as efficiently as they do.
However, the issues in Portland go way beyond parts availability, and need to be addressed by upper management.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!