iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You know you are spending too much time milling when----

Started by Greg Brown, February 15, 2012, 08:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Brown

I've been wondering if I was too caught up in this milling thing.  My wife said something was not right about this when she "caught" me watching the Norwood promotional dvd for about the 13th time. So I started thinking of reasons you might be milling too much.   

1 you are fishing and you see a large tree in the water, instead of thinking about where a large fish might be lurking around the tree, you are wondering how many feet you could have gotten out of that log.

2 Your Norwood assembly manual is still your favorite "throneroom" reading material_______
and your mill has been assembled over a month.

3 You run off the road looking at a dying pine and wonder if it would be any good milled up.

4 You read any of Greg Brown's posts.

Feel free to add your own thoughts.
Norwood MX34 Pro,  Massey- Ferguson 175

ladylake

No such thing as trees, only standing logs.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

WDH

Quote from: Greg Brown on February 15, 2012, 08:58:37 PM

3 You run off the road looking at a dying pine and wonder if it would be any good milled up.

:D :D :D :D :D  You are a mind reader!

You go to the store and the clerk says "That will be $5.30."  You pull the $.30 of change out of your pocket and spill a load of sawdust on the counter.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

cypresskayaksllc

I leave a little sawdust where ever I go. Nice one. :D
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Riggs

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

tyb525

When you drive you are thinking of the best way to saw, dry, and store all those potential boards you see next to the road :D

Oh, and what it would be like if you had all those trees to yourself!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

You come home late with pitch all over the front of your shirt and your wife says, "Where have you been  smiley_mean?"
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Silver_Eagle

You can get a piece of saw dust out of the corner of your eye with a piece of rolled up toilet paper quicker than you can sneeze.

Rooster

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

rbarshaw

You can't tell the differance between sawing wood and dreaming about sawing wood.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

flyboy16101

Your always late where ever you go because your chasing the local tree service truck looking for logs.
Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

WDH

You got a whack of boards, a real whack, and you look around and realize that you have no more stickers and no place to stack the whack  :D.

Paper Maker

I always look forward to Cook's sending out their latest catalog. I keep a copy by the throne at my shop and house. wait_smiley I just wish they would publish more often. It would be even better if it had a few more pages. Hint Hint

Maybe someone from Cook's will read this thread and get the presses going. They always have the most informative reading material. ;D

Magicman

Quote from: WDH on February 15, 2012, 09:27:52 PM
You go to the store and the clerk says "That will be $5.30."

Someone mentions $5.30 and you instantly know that that's how many bf are in an 8' 2X4.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: rbarshaw on February 15, 2012, 09:59:50 PM
You can't tell the differance between sawing wood and dreaming about sawing wood.

Oh, that's really good!  Can I use that as my signature in my profile?

Robert Barshaw,

My Dad is from Cottageville.  You know any Bishops around those parts?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Bandmill Bandit

you bring home a box of pine saw dust in the only empty container you had for your wife to smell the wonder full smell of that pine and she wants to feed it to you for supper.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Jeff

You are sawing logs ten hours a day 6 days a week and you come home with this bright idea to build a website so you can talk about sawing logs.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tullivor

Your laying in bed with agonizing back pain from milling all day, but still all you can think of is getting back at er'

fuzzybear

Quote from: Jeff on February 15, 2012, 11:57:38 PM
You are sawing logs ten hours a day 6 days a week and you come home with this bright idea to build a website so you can talk about sawing logs.
:D :D :D :D :) :) :) :) :D :D :D :D
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

WDH

:D :D :D :D :D

And you are still doing it (talking about sawing logs on a website that you created.  You did good!)  8)

MM,

I checked out you math, and you are right.  I must have it bad, real bad  :-\.

Migal

I seen some spiders today but i didnt see their web sight! 8)
Quote from: Jeff on February 15, 2012, 11:57:38 PM
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

mad murdock

You come in from milling all day and tell yer wife "when I go, I want it to be in a fresh sawn pine box, no fancy metal and silk, I want the smell of wood surrounding me" ;)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

shortlogger

You throw your back out trying to handle oversized logs so you spend the next 10 days going back and forth between the floor,bed and couch looking at FF and sawmill ads thinking if I just had a bigger mill with all the hydrolics I could still be sawing ,while receiving threats from your wife saying " YOU BETTER NOT" she will get over it if I do . (maybe)
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Meadows Miller

You Don't Know What Bloody Day It Is  :) :)  ??? ::) ::) ;) :D :D :D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Chuck White

You're sawing all day long and the first thing you do when you get home is jump on the Forestry Forum to see what everyone else sawed today!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!