iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: Skeans1 on February 06, 2023, 09:25:51 PM
@Firewoodjoe
Nope it's too high to be on our lowboy, I can go up to 14' 11.5" basically on permit after that it's with a pole on the pilot car. Even with our old 1210 and extension on I'm just under 14 at the highest point on our 24" tall ride height trailer which would be lower if we had a double drop trailer ride height would either be 12 or 16 inches of the ground. Myself I wouldn't want a deck length longer then 24' we have a fun time with our 23' foot well already on some to the back roads let alone having to lowboy into some of the jobs the corners aren't wide enough for this setup.
Yeah it wouldn't work for me either. Mostly due to no blade. Most trailers here are way below 24" now a days. There prolly 12 then they can set ride height on both ends. It's like 4 notches. Even low boys have gotten so fancy. These guys show up and start talking about all the things they can do. Then they get hung up and we have to unload and drag them off the crown🤦‍♂️

Skeans1

@Firewoodjoe
Most of the ones I've been around ride height is normally 16" a few are 12" due to the lower cantilever decks. Having air ride in the back is something I don't have right as well as I don't have a non ground bearing setup, our next one will have those features. One with air in the back you can pick your self off of those humps which isn't possible with spring suspension.

Here's a quick easy way to figure out what the ride height of one is, is the deck flat across with the main rails of the trailer? If so those are 24. If not is the deck siting below the rails with the I beam sticking above the deck? If so most are 16".

Resonator

I never hauled any machines too crazy on height when I hauled flatbed, (though I had a load of Kansas hay near 14' tall on a straight deck one time). :D
The guys that did do big machines usually planned they could stop, and drop the air in the tractor and trailer air bags to get extra couple inches if needed. Just to get under a bridge, and air back up again. Some of those flats had valves you could over inflate the bags to slide the wheels (axle load spacing). But again this was only for a few feet, and then you had to set back to "normal" air ride height.
Another trick they also said you could also air down the tires on the machine you're hauling (if it had rubber tires). Though depending on the overall width, sometimes that would make the sidewalls bulge out too far (oversize). ::)
Seen plenty loads hauled with the wheels removed (machine frame on deck), and tires stacked separate to keep the height down.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

BargeMonkey

EMD and more EMD.

Long story but the county dug the ditch out across from my house like a chasm, no great place for a mailbox post but next to the blacktop, lost 1 mailbox already this year. Walking thru the yard the other night and I found a complete powerpack they didnt take for a core. Drop a piece of 6-8" I-beam trimmed to fit in concrete, inside the cylinder, steel on top for the box, weld the liner to the beam, FAFO and see if that's gonna move now. 🤷‍♂️😆. Liner bottom to the studs is almost 4.5', weighs 450ish lbs, basically a 5gal pail around. 

tule peak timber

Nice pic, I've been asking you for years about machinery space photos. :)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Walnut Beast

Sounds like a plan but if somebody got killed from hitting it you might be in a lawsuit 

Southside

Used to loose multiple boxes every year to the guy in the snowblower, no way it wasn't intentional, always had a nice box made out of a potato barrel or something decorative.  Well enough was enough, so we made one out of one more barrel, but this one was rubble and concrete filled with an I beam going through the middle drove 4' into the ground with a solid plate to attach the box to.  Well, first big storm of the season here comes the blower, heads right for the box, a moment later we hear a big old "ka-bing, bang, whang, thud" and the distinctive sound of a gearbox and engine slowing down in a hurry.  Peeked out the window and there was the guy scratching his head looking at the blower.  Couple of the barrel staves had a chunk or two torn out, and nothing more.  Box never got hit again after that.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

A good way to loose your property or get tied up in a lawsuit that could cripple you financially!  Everyone can do what they want to. But in this day and age! No way I would do it !!! . This is only one example in favor of the landowner. There is plenty that go against the landowner.

You may want to check with your insurance company because if you install a real brick, rock, stone or steel mailbox and someone is injured or killed, you can be sure, you will be sued. and your insurance will not cover it.

https://www.courtnewsohio.gov/cases/2021/SCO/1124/201057.asp#.Y-TPleRMG_Y

Walnut Beast

What was your intent on the mailbox? Protect ? 
They are going to look at the intent as damage, wound, maim or kill whoever runs into it ?  That's where the can of worms gets opened. Another way to look at it is it might make you proud that somebody hit your mailbox and it didn't hurt it but caused the person that hit it a little damage. On the flip side how would you feel if the neighbor girl slid off the road in foul weather and got killed by it ?

Southside

One could make the same argument when you plant a row of trees along the road that you knew they would grow up and become big, then when someone hit one you were liable. There is no legal difference. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Peter Drouin

If the trees you put in are in the right of way of the road, you might get a suit. If on your land, your find.
A mailbox is easy, post back 6' or more from the road. With an arm to hang the mailbox with 2 dog chains, will just swing out and come back to where it was.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Walnut Beast

Excellent point Peter! Most people don't realize that. 

Tom K

Unfortunately most states do have rules pertaining to mail box design that also require a certain break away force. Whether a state/area choose to enforce them is another matter. Most if not all state/townships have the right to remove trees within the right of way if they determine they are a danger.

I had to laugh at a guy down the road from me. He built a nice new house last year and put in a nice brick mailbox support. The brick column is now laying in his yard and a standard mailbox is in it's place. "Someone" made him tear it out, either the state or his insurance.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but these rules are all on the books for public safety. If you don't follow the rules and something happens you will be negligent. 

bigblockyeti

Quote from: Tom K on February 09, 2023, 09:09:16 AM
Not saying it's right or wrong, but these rules are all on the books for public safety. If you don't follow the rules and something happens you will be negligent.
But isn't ignorance bliss?

Tom K

Skeans1

too bad a lot of these are no touch as well as a lot more will be no longer allowed to be touched.

bigblockyeti

mudfarmer

That's a real cool landscape Skeans. Almost totally foreign to here, closest being a chunk of boreal forest nearby

Crusarius

I understand conservation and preservation but.... if you make the entire world a hands off zone, why are we preserving it? So no one can enjoy it?

Skeans1

Quote from: bigblockyeti on February 09, 2023, 10:49:35 AM
Too close to the water?
Right now it's a 20 foot no touch with and another 30 feet that's RMA zone or buffer zone, now we'll have 100 feet no touch or cut zone all for the fish or lack there of.

bigblockyeti

Does the "no touch" just refer to cutting and dirt work or are you excluded from bikes, ATVs & horse riding as well?

Skeans1

@bigblockyeti 
It'd depend on the stream as well as the time of the year. For the most part I think you can still use them for rec but I wouldn't put it past them to take that next.

Riwaka

The stream side pics look to have sierra club or similar influences. One can only imagine the eventual mess of old trees tipping over next to/ across the stream or doing a costly helicopter log removal project. Would a management plan of harvesting the large area of trees away from the stream, replanting the large area (leaving a track space next to the RMA) and coming back in 5 years to selectively manage/ ground harvest (mostly) the stream zone be a preferable option? 

cutterboy

Not exactly what I planned but the tree is down and I'm still alive.

After that cold spell the ground finally froze up. My neighbor the chainsaw carver has been asking for logs so a few days ago I went after some pine. There were two nice ones I wanted. The first one went down in a difficult spot but after a lot of cutting and pulling with the tractor I got three 6' and two 9' logs out to the carver. The tree was 30" at the stump and 20" at the small end of the last log.

The 2nd tree was a little smaller and I got two nice logs for him.

Now I'll have to go back and cut the tops of those trees into logs for my mill.
I also decided to take two smallish red maple logs, a 14" and a 13".

Cut while you can.....Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Southside

I have some of that no touch ground.  Back in the late '90s a hurricane caused all kinds of havoc in there and the resulting mess re-routed the stream into multiple smaller fingers.  Well those fingers all stop flowing in the summer and the water just sits there and turns black, green, oily looking, and stinks.  The mosquitoes love it. The blown over trees are still there, nothing has replaced them, and no fish can use the stream either.  I am all for careful conservation with our natural resources, but quality management, over absolute preservation, is a good thing in many cases.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!