iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Foley Belsaw 394 for square ground chain?

Started by gjersy, May 19, 2015, 10:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gjersy

Has anyone ever used a Foley 394 sharpener to square grind chain? I've heard they will do it.
If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.

bandmiller2

Jersy, I looked up a picture or the foley  394 solid looking machine but it works just like the better Oregon bench sharpeners. I'am not sure you could grind a true square grind with it. You could surely sharpen a square ground chain but it would end up round ground chisel. I may be mistaken but I have a Silvey square grinder and also the Oregon bench grinder. The Silvey razor sharp 2 uses a beveled wheel that comes into the tooth from the side, the Oregon comes down at an angle from the top of the tooth. Hopefully someone here knows for sure. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

so il logger

The silvey razorsharp will do it, or buy some double bevel files and a bunch of chain. Either way you will eventually want to file your own chain. Good luck

gjersy

Thanks guys, I bought the foley last week it should get here this week. I'll try and figure it out after i set it up. I've been hand sharpening square for years, but i want a machine that does it, just don't like the price tag of the Silvey or simington. Do they even make the Silvey square grinders anymore?

so il logger

As of a few years ago they were available through a large mail order supply store... you know the one ;) They are pricey, I have tried square filing im just not much good at it :D

bandmiller2

As far as I know they are not making Silvey grinders any more but parts are still available. If you use a Silvey its understandable why their so expensive they are a professional piece of equipment. I have asked folks that should know why they quit building them 1) they have had a patent battle with Simington for years 2) they can't get the American made motors they always used, both sound fishy. Frank C.

gjersy

I received the Foley Belsaw 394, i was happy to get the manuel with it, and there is a section on sharpening square ground chisel chain, so the rumors i heard were true, it will do it. It's old but appears to be a very well built machine, and parts are available.

bandmiller2

Gjersy, if you find you can get an honest square grind with the Foley please tell us how. I'am quite certin you will end up with a round ground chisel chain, but I hope I'am wrong Frank C. (theirs nothing wrong with round ground chisel)

bandmiller2

Doing more thinking on this matter probably if you used a square wheel on the grinder and came down at the right angles you could put a square grind on the chain. You may have to clean the gullet out after several grindings. Frank C.

gjersy

Yes Bandmiller the instructions explain how to dress the right shape on the wheel, and this grinder has forward & reverse and that has something to do with the square grinding also as the instructions mentioned that it has to be turning counter clockwise, not sure of the details yet. I just made sure it worked and glanced at everything for now. I heard it's a little tricky at 1st but with practice it should work out.

bandmiller2

I think the tricky part will be getting the depth the same for all the cutters, the machine has a stop but theirs enough flex in everything so you must have a light hand. My Oregon type grinder is supposed to also grind the depth gauges but I have found it not accurate enough. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!