iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS 170 overheating

Started by Dionvh, October 26, 2018, 04:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dionvh

Hello! My Stihl MS170 is overheating after just a couple minutes of sawing. Took off the air filter to see if that was the problem, but that's not the problem. I am using premixed premium fuel, so I guess it gets sufficiently oiled. The exhaust gets smoky and red hot, almost burning away the chassis.

Anyone know what I could look at to solve this?

Thanks,

Dion

Al_Smith

Well if the word "red" is not just a figure of speech and is actually red that would be around 1200 degrees .About the only two things that come to mind are extremely lean air to fuel mix or a highly restrictive exhaust . Other than that I know exactly nothing about this model,never even seen one .Don't know if it has a fully adjustable  carb or not .Zilch ! However if either of those mentioned conditions exist  it certainly won't run very long before it gives up the ghost and dies never to run again .

Fishnuts2

This sounds bad, just guessing, but perhaps check that the chain brake is not on.  There has been many of these melted because of the brake on.  Also, try a different loop of chain to see if that helps.  A dull chain causes all kinds of problems.
Just my 2 cents worth. 
Hope you find the cause!

joe_indi

If the engine were to become red-hot, or rather prior to becoming red-hot, the piston would be toast.
But when you say red-hot and smokey the cause is outside the engine, in the muffler. Chances are that it is blocked (maybe just the spark arrestor screen if it has one)
Try running the saw with the spark arrestor screen removed. 

Thank You Sponsors!