iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 236 idle running problems

Started by Dionvh, October 26, 2018, 04:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dionvh

Hi there,

I recently replaced the cylinder and piston on my Husky 236 and could not get it running right after. It runs well when the choke is out, but as soon as I push in the choke again the engine dies. I tried adjusting the air screw and the idle screw but could not get that right either, it still dies when I push the choke in. Can anybody give me advice on what I could try next?

Also the engine gets quite hot quickly, I assume that's normal after a cylinder and piston renewal and it can only run while the choke is out, but maybe I'm mistaken?

Thanks,

Dion

dougand3

Needing choke is not enough fuel delivered or too much external air. Is cylinder sealed well with clamshell? Is intake assy sealed against leak? Does carb need cleaning and rebuild? I assume this is a newer strato/x-torq carb. They need to be really rich. Try 3 turns out on H & L screws.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Dionvh

Quote from: dougand3 on October 26, 2018, 10:46:44 PM
Needing choke is not enough fuel delivered or too much external air. Is cylinder sealed well with clamshell? Is intake assy sealed against leak? Does carb need cleaning and rebuild? I assume this is a newer strato/x-torq carb. They need to be really rich. Try 3 turns out on H & L screws.
Thanks for your answer. What is clamshell? I used liquid gasket material since there is no gasket for the cylinder. How do I make sure the intake assy is sealed against leak? I rebuilt and cleaned the carb, which is a zama (older model). 
Thanks

dougand3

Clamshell is the bottom engine pan that 4 bolts connect to cylinder. If you used a good sealant between mating surfaces, it probably is fine. Can spray carb cleaner around intake while engine running and see if saw revs up. 
I'd try a new Aftermarket carb. They cost $15 in USA. Dunno about Spain.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Dionvh

Thanks. Compression is okay, I checked it.

So tried to start it again yesterday, but not luck to keep it running.
What I noticed was that I could get it running with the throttle fully open, then it would run for a bit burning all the gas that has been pumped in the cylinders, and then it would die. Almost as if it gets too little air, but I'm not sure about this.

Anyone more ideas?

dougand3

Disassemble, clean (under welch plug, too) & new rebuild kit in carb or just get new one.

Thank You Sponsors!