iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tire chain advice

Started by EFR, December 22, 2014, 10:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EFR

I'm looking for a little guidance on tire chains. 

I am currently running a  TJ 225E with studded chains on the front.  I bought the machine this way, the chains were a little big, but a logger friend told me to run them over themselves and tighten them up.  Much less slop and no more grinding away of the blade piston.  The front tires are about 60% (16.9x30 I believe), the back tires are about 10%. 

95% of my skidding will be done in the winter when the ground is frozen.  The terrain is rolling hills (couple steep ones) and a little bony.  Trees are mostly hardwood.  For hitches, I pull as much as I can pull.  Some of the rides get a little long.

What do you feel would be best for me?  Studded on all four or studded on the back and ring in the front?  I was going to go with ring, but I read somewhere they are not the best for a small machine.  Any advice and experience welcome.

I'm aware of TCR (and to call!).  Any other vendors?

Thanks and Merry Christmas,
Erik 

wfcjr

Check out Canadian Chains....
Actually made in USA and hq in Maine, but name is Canadian Chains.

http://canadianchainsusa.com/

They carry their own brand as well as Trygg. 

You may have to leave a message or two, but I have found their service to be great &
prices very reasonable.

logman81

I would go studded on all four, the machine isn't heavy enough to push ring type chains into frozen ground.
Precision Firewood & Logging

xalexjx

i run rings on the front ice chains on the back
Logging and Processed Firewood

Maine logger88

I like ice on all 4. With a 225 make sure to get 9/16 side chain on the front cause there's not room enough for 5/8 between the blade cyl and the tires
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Thank You Sponsors!