Sky scenes  

Started by Bibbyman, February 15, 2003, 08:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stump Jumper

pigman
  it must be bad luck. i see i'm still his boss  ::)  :-\ :-[
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Furby

Naw, YOU'RE FIRED!
Happy now ???

Mooseherder

I don't know if this is true. Received it in an e-mail.
If anyone is up past midnight tonight.
Planet Mars will be the brightest in the night sky starting August.
It will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. This will cultivate on Aug. 27 when Mars comes within 34.65M miles of earth.
Be sure to watch the sky on Aug. 27 12:30 am. It will look like the earth has 2 moons. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287.

beenthere

Mooseherder
Not very true. It's been coming around for several years now....google it and you will see the significance that it is not.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

That was back in 2003, and only when looking through a 75x telescope. It has become an urban legend since.  :D Mars gets close every 15-17 years actually, but hasn't been that close in a long time.

Look up perihelic opposition in google with reference to NASA. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Furby

Waiting for the eclipse ???

Mooseherder

Unfortunately I'll be up for it. :D
Gotta be at work at 5am. ;)

Furby

Unfortunately I won't be up for it.... no work. ::)

Onthesauk

We were just coming up the valley this evening as that came over the mountains and looked twice as big as normal.

Suppose to happen about 2:30AM our time.  Think I'll miss it.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

SwampDonkey

The moon is suppose to set here before the eclipse so we don't see it. The moon is nice and bright for the time it is up. Thought it was getting daylight. Oh well, I'm up now. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Supposed to start at 8:30pm here, and the clouds seem to have broken up enough to see something. 8:00 pm now.. waiting

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

First pic at 8:00pm.. nothing unusual here.

Did I mention I LOVE my new camera  ;D
Shot is hand held, leaning on the back door frame.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

That's quite a zoom on your new toy. ;D

SwampDonkey

Well I can just see the eclipse beginning on the top portion of the moon. The sun will be up here in 45 minutes.

Ianab

8:50 here.. starting to see some action.  8)

SwampDonkey

Well the sun is almost up and there is just a sliver left on the bottom edge of the moon as it sets in the western horizon.  ;D

Ianab

Full eclipse here, about 9:30

Really cool show :)

Patty

Ianab, You had the same view that we had. Awesome show! It started about 4:30 and was in total eclipse at 5:00AM then by 6:00 it was all gone and the sun was starting to come up. Cool way to start my day!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Furby

Took this up at the lake the other day.

Don P

I'm always waiting to see a big hand reach out of one of those holes in the clouds  :D.

This was from a couple of weeks ago one evening on the front porch. It was more intense a few minutes earlier but took a minute to find the camera.

Bibbyman

One thing Mary and I can take credit for is instilling in Alex and Brooke some appreciation for the beauty of nature.  I figured they'd get bored of me dragging them out to see a sunset or rainbow or sunlight making the ice on a tree look like crystal.  But they've picked up the idea. 

This evening they came running in and wanted Grandma to come out and see the sunset.  Then they found I was near so they insisted that I come too and I had to bring my camera. 

Well,  the best of the brilliant sky was about gone by the time I got out there with my camera but I snapped a  couple of pictures and let each girl take a picture.  Then they wanted their picture taken with the sky scene.  I did but this time the flash went off.  I figured it'd just wash out their images and took another with the flash turned off.

Turned out,  the one with the flash came out ok.  I did a little work with the photo editor to get bring their images. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

TexasTimbers

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

TexasTimbers

I don't know why mine came out so small.

Bibbyman it looks like we had the same idea about the same time. You were seeing the same thing as me just a few lines of longitude sooner. I caught that real pretty color you said you were late getting but my pixels shrank at some point. It was so striking I thought I would share it. Course mine didn't have the cute grands in it. :)

I tried to enlarge it but they keep shrinking.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SwampDonkey

Tex you posted the thumbnail. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!