iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 445 or Stihl 250

Started by Dan-O-Matic, November 15, 2015, 11:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan-O-Matic

Trying to decide between a Husky and a Stihl for a Home Use saw.  :P Will probably never cut anything bigger than 24 inches. 1 or 2 cords a year for an occasional use fireplace. Currently I have 5 large white pines I need to get down and cut up. All are about 20 inches at the base. After those come down and get cut up it'll be occasional use for trees that have fallen across a path I walk with the grand-kids.

Stihl is the only game in town the sells and services. But my concern with them is that the warranty is only a year. Unless I'm missing something on the website.

The closest Husky dealer is about 30 miles away. But the Stihl dealer works on anything. So....Husky 445 or Stihl 250?? Or something else. We have a TSC that sells Jonesred as well. No experience with those.

Thanks for the help.
..."I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6

SawTroll

The 445 surely is a much better saw, but you have to weight it against the difference in service availability.
Information collector.

sawguy21

Stihl will double the warranty if you purchase a six pack of their oil with the saw and use it. I sold and serviced both brands, either saw will serve you well if used and maintained properly. In your situation I would go with Stihl simply for the service. Jonsered is a red Husqvarna and good but does TSC service what they sell?
IMHO, warranty is often overblown. If a defect in workmanship or materials doesn't show up in the first few months of use there should not be any problem. Echo touts a 5 year warranty but it is strictly a marketing tool to sell to the uninformed, any successful claims after the first year are very doubtful.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dan-O-Matic

Thanks Sawguy. I figured with how little I'll use a saw either way would work. Stihl is where I was leaning. I took my dead Poulan pro that hasn't run right in the 5 years I've owned it to the same Stihl dealer. The guy at the counter who took my saw made it sound like it could be a week or so. I had NO problem with that. I got a call less than 24 hours later from their service guy.  He said the saw had been re-purposed as a paper weight. Scored cylinder and piston. Not worth fixing. I figure that if they will take care of someone who DIDN'T buy their saw there I'm confident they will service the guy that DID buy his saw from them at least as well.
..."I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6

kenskip1

I have both of these saws. However I will give the Stihl the edge. Seems to have a bit more power or maybe the balance seems better with a 16BC. Both are great saws but like I mentioned I will have to give the Stihl the edge.
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

ScottInCabot

I own a MS250, and knowing what I know now.....I'd have purchased the J'red CS2252

Those stupid flippy caps just stink.  The saw has been leaking bar oil since I've owned it!  Stihl dealer here looks at me like 'so what'.

Support for a J'red locally is probably only the one dealer, but he at least treats me like a person...not a 'target for another purchase'.

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

kenskip1

SIC,If you had a problem with the saw why not take it back to the dealer and tell him you want it fixed the right way.Are you now shooting down all Stihl saws because of your own negligence? Granted the caps can be a bit of a hassle but once you figure them out you will never have a problem.If your dealer had taken the time and effort to ex-plane there function to you you may not have been shooting them down. How well did it run? Did it always start? How was the vibration while cutting?You did not mention these topics. Well congratulations on your Husky 353. This is also a great saw. I simply like to here both sides of a topic prior to having someone shooting them down.I hope you do not take offence as I am merely  stating my point of view, Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

deerslayer

Regarding saws leaking bar oil, that's just a fact of life. It's not brand specific but some models seem to do it more than others.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

Dan-O-Matic

OK....so if I were to go with a Husky, knowing that my use will be light on average (except for 4, 40' white pines I have to get down this year) can I assume that a 445 will be enough saw? The only Husky dealer within 30 miles is closing and offered me a 455 for $300. Which is just under what I can get a 445 for.    Thoughts???

rburg

The 455 would have more power than the 445 or 250 but it is also noticeably heavier. From what you have mentioned you will be cutting, the 455 should handle it.

starmac

As far as I'm concerned, the 455 is a good size for a home use saw, a new one for the same price or less than a 445 or 250 would be a no brainer at my place.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

beenthere

Good deal, if indeed it is a new 455 saw for $300.  Otherwise, the dealer leaving would be an issue to consider.
My second saw is a 250, and has served me well. 18" bar and is capable of 36" tree diam, but likely would use the 20" MS362 for that size.

And no leaking bar oil either.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!