iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A new to me LT40 is home

Started by WoodenHead, March 08, 2013, 07:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenHead

I went and did it.  I bought a slightly used 2006 LT40 manual.  The price was right and the hours were low (222hrs).  So for now I have two mills, but I plan on selling the LT28.  It's a 2011 with 250hrs on it.

Here are a couple of pictures: 

I'll be adding the Pineywoods log turner (which is currently on my LT28) and a few other hydraulic functions to the LT40.  The LT28 will be returned to original condition for sale.

Tom L

good luck with it, looks like a nice machine

Magicman

Congrats on the new to you sawmill.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

You have one for each hand now.  :D  Low hours as your does too. I suppose you will sell the smaller one,it should sell quick.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hackberry jake

If you leave the pineywoods on the lt28 I bet you could sell the "hydraulic" sawmill for quite a bit more than the "manual". But then you would have to build another piney.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Chuck White

Congratulations on getting the mill.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ohio_Bill

I had a LT 40 2001 with add on factory loader like yours. If I remember correctly the axel is moved to accommodate the loader which makes the turner room a little tight. My son in law is a welder and he built the pineywood turner for me but we never installed it. While it was parked in the yard someone stopped and bought the mill.  Your mill looks wonderful. Good luck with your project. And remember if you don't have pictures it did not happen. :D

Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

WoodenHead

I had the opportunity to try out the mill today.  I was surprised to find a bit of a learning curve.  The LT40 is very much different than an LT28, but there are similarities too.  Most of it had to do with getting a feel for the hand movements at the controls, but there are a few more things to think about as well (like the debarker and electric guide arm).  The hydraulic tensioner was also new to me. 

This particular machine has no setworks, so keeping track of everything in my head (with no moveable scale) was interesting.  The permanent scale works well for sawing once the cant width has been established, but I'm on my own trying to establish the width.  Nailing the the exact head position was also a challenge.  The LT28 has fixed 1/16 positions for height above the bed.  My cuts are always consistent on the LT28, but this machine is inherently more variable.  I think I will invest in Accuset or at least the simple setworks.

It was fun though and sliced very well  ;D   

Okrafarmer

Welcome to the LT-40 club! You are going to love the electric blade guide once you get used to it. Especially in tricky logs.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Gasawyer

Congratulations on the new mill. The scale on the lt 40s has 1/16s on it and should have a sliding scale for 1/4s at least mine does and several other that I have been around.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

Thank You Sponsors!