iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a Texas Style BBQ

Started by Qweaver, December 05, 2014, 10:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

Quote from: LeeB on December 12, 2014, 11:02:00 AM
Quote from: Qweaver on December 12, 2014, 09:45:48 AM
Except in Texas you can not put beans in the chili...and to me it ain't chili unless it has beans.

Get a rope.  smiley_hanged
OK, let me get this straight...are we getting a rope for HAVING or NOT Having?  :D
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Qweaver

I learned to cook brisket in Texas, taught by an old Cajan/Texan who won the cook-off where he taught me to cook.  But not all Texans can cook BBQ.  I once loaned my pit (which had won many cookoffs) to a group of barflies that wanted to cook at a local bar as a fund raiser.  I just assumed that they knew how to cook.  A few hours later they called to say that the pit would not get hot enough to cook chicken.

So I drove up to the bar and sure enough they had a whole tray full of half cooked chicken.  They also had the fire box full of charcoal and very little heat in the cooker.  I had them dig out most of the charcoal and put it under the chicken.  I also had them add a few sticks  of oak I had with me to the fire box and the pit temps quickly came up to chicken cooking temp.  They were out of charcoal so I also offered them more oak if they would come by my house and pick it up.  They declined, saying they had plenty of wood.  I came back awhile later just to see how it went.  Only to find this bunch of non-cookers finishing off this nearly ineatable chicked with pine 2x4s

My pit did not have a good reputation that daay
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

LeeB

Quote from: Qweaver on December 13, 2014, 04:16:39 PM
Quote from: LeeB on December 12, 2014, 11:02:00 AM
Quote from: Qweaver on December 12, 2014, 09:45:48 AM
Except in Texas you can not put beans in the chili...and to me it ain't chili unless it has beans.

Get a rope.  smiley_hanged
OK, let me get this straight...are we getting a rope for HAVING or NOT Having?  :D

Chili es con carne senior, sin frijoles.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Qweaver

Here are the finished pit pics.  A paint job, fire brick and an oak shelf are still left to do.  I am going to mount it sideways on the trailer so I don't think dressing it up as a train will work because it will block access to the flat cooking area.  Maybe just do the side facing the front.  I'll start on the trailer tomorrow.  I should be able to cook at least six briskets, eight if I crowd them.  I'm going to cook Friday night.  If you're near Weston, WV on Saturday,  stop in for a sample.  :snowball:

Magicman

Looks good enough to cook on.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Skidder Kev

You can get 8 briskets on it and all we get is a sample!   :D :D

Looks good Qweaver and doesn't take you long to put one of them together either. 

Qweaver

Quote from: kculler on December 16, 2014, 03:33:39 PM
You can get 8 briskets on it and all we get is a sample!   :D :D

They can be big samples.
While we're smoking the meat, we'll also be cooking some beans...and some chili WITH beans!  OK you Texans, quite down.  I can hear you muttering in the background.  ;)

redprospector

Beans???
In New Mexico when you order chili they ask green or red.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Piston

Quote from: Qweaver on December 16, 2014, 12:57:57 PM
I'm going to cook Friday night.  If you're near Weston, WV on Saturday,  stop in for a sample.  :snowball:

Hmm, I may just take a 10 hour ride and stop in for a sample....  ;D 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Qweaver

Deer hunting for the next 3 days so no cooking this weekend.  I hope to kill 3 does in this 3 day extended gun season and maybe a buck with the crossbow. 
I'm going to slow cook one of those deer and try freezing the cooked meat.  I haven't try that before and have no idea how well it will work.

beenthere

How will you prepare the skinned deer for slow cooking? De-bone, trim fat off, or just skinned??

And will you use the TX BBQ for the cooking? Somewhat like the Pig Roast.. it be whole on the grill?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Qweaver

I'll just de-bone the hams cut lots of slits and insert really fat bacon, drap bacon over the meat, truss and cook open on the grill at 400 deg for a half hour then lower the temp below 200 for about 5 to 6 hours, wrap with Al foil, add a can of beer and about another 6 hours at 200 or less.  I'll also season and baste just like brisket.  I'll do the shoulders the same if it is a large deer.  I have not hunted my farm yet this year so I hope there is plenty of deer to shoot.  There were lots this summer.

beenthere

That sure sounds great.  thanks..  would like to give that a try sometime.

As to freezing cooked meat, has not been a problem for me. Seems to have some extra liquid when thawing, but not earth shaking problem. Like to dice up venison into 3/4" cubes and use as stew meat. Sometimes putting in a crockpot with some mushroom soup and makes for very good eating. Will freeze if extra.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

luvmexfood

A little off subject but I have had real good sucess canning venison. It's done, flip the lid off and make get a little beef gravy mix of canned and some mashed potatoes. A good quick meal. It's also good for a quick barbecue sandwich.

Now if you could smoke it a little and then can it that might be even better. It's a great way to get rid of small pieces. I debone the shoulders and use them. Meat needs to be cut in to approximately inch and half pieces.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Qweaver

OK, got to the camp about 4:30 pm,  2 deer shot by 5:30 pm, back home by 8:00 pm.  I guess the cooking is back on.  Although I may hunt again tomorrow and cook Saturday.  I don't have a big set of horns in the man cave yet.  I'm not really a horn hunter but the man cave should have at least one set.  8)

luvmexfood

Two deer in one day is a lot of work. Time you gut, drag out, skin and process. If you can get some cold nights around twenty and then no warmer than 40 in the day you can let them hang in an outbuilding a few days. I believe the slightly freeze then slightly thaw really helps the meat. Plus if you start cutting them up in the morning while they or slightly frozed it makes easier cutting.

Qweaver

I've got both deer hanging and the weather is perfect...so I won't skin and process until Monday or Tuesday.  I'm really anxious to try out the BBQ pit, but I may wait until after Christmas and do a whole pit full of brisket, deer and pork country ribs.   We could have a real feast for new years.   Maybe throw some back-strap on the grill to eat while we cook.  My mouth is watering as I write this.  :new_year:

Quinton

Magicman

I think that you have started something.  First you, then LeeB, and next the whole neighborhood Forum.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

luvmexfood

Sounds like a trip to West Virginia on New Years. :D Don't forget the black eyed peas and cabbage. Haven't harvested a deer in a few years but your sort of making my belly growl and trigger finger itch. Only bad thing is my smoker bit the dust. Had an electric charbroil and it did a fair job.

Qweaver

Cold and other projects have delayed the trailer.  Back at it now.  Here are the plans. Build out of 4" channel and 2x2x1/4 angle.  I'll spring it for 7000 lg GVW.  Probably put a roof on it also.

Qweaver

I got the trailer on wheels and decked today.  I may try to bolt the BBQ on tomorrow.  This cold weather is sure keeping me in the man cave a lot.  I did saw 2 oaks today but I was not comfortable in the cold.  Hopefully some pics tomorrow.

LeeB

I cheated. I got my nephew to build mine. No way I could ever do this nice of a job. Actually lindy got him to build it for my Christmas present this year.

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Qweaver

Really nice job!  I don't see a smoke stack.  How does the heat and smoke travel across the cooking area? Woops...OK I do see it.  interesting design.   I always hated working over the wheel on this kind of design so I will work off the deck on this one.  But the dis-advantage to that is having to walk up on the trailer to get to the BBQ.  6 of one and half a dozen of the other. 

LeeB

I guess it's what you call a reverse flow design. There is a false bottom in the smoker side that channels the smoke and heat across the bottom of the pit away from the fire box. It then comes up through an opening on that end and flows back through the smoke chamber and out the stack located at the firebox end of the smoke chamber. It's supposed to keep more even temps that way. So far it seems to work as designed although it does get a little hotter on the firebox end but not much. Also tends to get a little hotter on the lower racks, but again not that much. I did a brisket, two chickens, two racks of ribs and about 10 lbs of sausage on it last time I was home. it was a full load. I'm still learning the ins and outs. It takes a good bit more wood than I'm used to using in the past on a store bought and smaller version, but I'm very happy with it so far. It should last me the rest of my days.

Qweaver

It finally got warm enough to finish the BBQ trailer.  Now comes the cookin and eatin.  I took some pics and put it for sale on Facebook.  Got lots of replies until I posted the $4500 price.  I have over $2000 in material and parts and many hours of labor. I'm going to buy and mount a propane grill on the open right rear spot.  I'm also thinking about a building a roof over it.

Here's what it cost to build.

BBQ Cost                                   Trailer Cost   
Material   Cost                            Material   cost
26" Pipe              $75.00           4" channel         $100.00
3/8" Plate              $60.00            2" Angle          $75.00
3/16 & 1/8 Sheet $20.00        Axle/Spring            $175.00
2x2 Angle              $75.00         Wheels & tires   $375.00
5" pipe             $10.00          Decking                   $200.00
Steel grid              $20.00            Hitch                   $20.00
Hardware/Bolts       $15.00          Jack                    $45.00
Paint supplies       $30.00           Paint Supplies    $100.00
Welding Supplies   $75.00      Welding Supplies   $100.00
Shearing               $20.00       Hardware, bolts etc.   $50.00
Misc/Travel   $30.00       Misc/Travel            $30.00
Labor 40 hours @ $45       Bench Materials        $60.00
Propane grill   $250.00       Light kit                    $35.00

$680.00                                $1,365.00

Total BBQ/Trailer Costs   $2,045.00

Thank You Sponsors!