iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any body else putting in a garden?

Started by B.C.C. Lapp, May 07, 2021, 04:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.C.C. Lapp

Not exactly logs, lumber, or equipment related but all the same I wonder if there are any other produce farmers or gardeners here?

I keep several gardens and small plots.  The largest is 180Ft. by 120Ft. and it will be in  sweet corn and two kinds of potatoes.  
Then I have a 30ft. by 40ft. plot of asparagus, and three other plots each around 30ft. by 40.ft in tomatoes to onions and all in between.  
The weather has been cool and wet so all I have in now is some lettuce, onions and potatoes. and I'm enjoying asparagus on the table most nights.
Wont start planting for serious till maybe the 15th to the 20th here unless it warms up quick.

As you may have guessed I sell produce as a side business, in a small limited way.  I have two roadside stands and sell when I have it.

So, any body else planting this year?
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Firewoodjoe

You do a good size garden by the sound of it. I usually just do sweet corn and potatoes. That's all I need after i butcher one of my cows lol

thecfarm

No beet greens?   :o I almost paid off the farm growing them things.  ;D I planted string beans every 2 weeks. Had beans all summer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SunnyHillFarm

I have peas up. Also lettuce and radishes. These are in my "kitchen" garden. I eat fresh salads all summer by doing successive plantings. I have have a garden since I was was in my early teens. Here in WNY we won't plant a main garden until late May or early June. I freeze most of my winter veggies from the main garden. 

Southside

Going to try to drop the disc into the ground this Sunday - try being the operative word, last week the ground was still "squish, squish, squish" when walking through it.  Very wet winter and will be 39 tonight here - so can't say we have missed much time yet.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: Southside on May 07, 2021, 10:35:26 PM
Going to try to drop the disc into the ground this Sunday - try being the operative word, last week the ground was still "squish, squish, squish" when walking through it.  Very wet winter and will be 39 tonight here - so can't say we have missed much time yet.  
Yeah it's 27 and frosty here right now. Basically the same as it was in January at times. Everything about this year has been weird. My sister keeps telling me to do green beans. Maybe I should try them. 

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: SunnyHillFarm on May 07, 2021, 09:27:10 PM
 Here in WNY we won't plant a main garden until late May or early June. I freeze most of my winter veggies from the main garden.
I'm in NW Pa and we dont plant most of it till at least the 15th and sometimes the 20th or even later in wet cool springs. Kinda like now. ::)     I remember on year we had a hard frost June 2nd.
It certainly never pays to jump the gun even though the early sweet corn sells the fastest.
I'm thinking we will be waiting way past the 15th this year.

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: Southside on May 07, 2021, 10:35:26 PM
Going to try to drop the disc into the ground this Sunday - try being the operative word, last week the ground was still "squish, squish, squish" when walking through it.  Very wet winter and will be 39 tonight here - so can't say we have missed much time yet.  
I got most of mine turned and disced last week while we had a few dry days but I couldnt get in at all now.   We have had maybe three inches of rain the past week and the gauge said another half inch last night.  

moodnacreek

Peas up since mid April, also have a little patch of early corn up . I cheated and started that indoors and transplanted. Need to get more in but soil is quite cold and wet.

mike_belben

I didnt think i was gonna bother this year but i had repaired a little 2 stroke mini tiller and needed to test it, so i tilled up the spot ive been saying is my new garden plot to get the jetting right before taking it to the deer woods.

Once that was done it was silly not to continue.  Limed and fertilized, threw most of my old and maybe expired seed in.  Handful of bell pepper and tomato varieties, cherry tomatoes, cabbage and a row made of potatoes that overwintered in the compost pile and had 6" leaders when i turned it. 

When the compost finishes i will fill the boxes that my trellis is built on and do  cukes as always. Maybe some early radish and kale too

Praise The Lord

stavebuyer

I have been eating on spinach, assorted lettuce and asparagus for a couple weeks. Potatoes I put out in mid March got frosted back a couple times but I hilled the rows up for the second time yesterday. I have some yellow squash and zucchini that I started inside in a jiffy tray that are flowering. First couple rows of Italian Green beans, cucumbers, corn, melons, and cantaloupe are doing well. I always push starting early and it generally pays off. We often get a bad dry spell about mid-July. My early garden beans and corn will be canned or froze by then. The tomatoes, potatoes, melons seem to like a little dry hot weather.

moodnacreek

Quote from: stavebuyer on May 08, 2021, 10:58:27 AM
I have been eating on spinach, assorted lettuce and asparagus for a couple weeks. Potatoes I put out in mid March got frosted back a couple times but I hilled the rows up for the second time yesterday. I have some yellow squash and zucchini that I started inside in a jiffy tray that are flowering. First couple rows of Italian Green beans, cucumbers, corn, melons, and cantaloupe are doing well. I always push starting early and it generally pays off. We often get a bad dry spell about mid-July. My early garden beans and corn will be canned or froze by then. The tomatoes, potatoes, melons seem to like a little dry hot weather.
I will call for directions in 60 days! :D

stavebuyer

Quote from: moodnacreek on May 08, 2021, 07:19:11 PM
Quote from: stavebuyer on May 08, 2021, 10:58:27 AM
I will call for directions in 60 days! :D
A week after things really start coming in there is stuff going to waste. Come hungry and bring containers LOL!

moodnacreek

Stave, somehow I just knew you where a good guy.

Will.K

I always have a garden, but for the last five or six years I've been experimenting with different kinds of cultivation. After reading about various agrarian philosophies I threw excess tomatoes, peppers, and squash on the edges of my clearing. In the spring I broadcast some seeds. I have had more food than I can use for the last two years, and have not tilled, planted, fertilized, weeded, or hoed. 

As intimately involved as past generations were with food production, I begin to think that some of the fundamental wisdom they've given us is flawed, incomplete, or misunderstood. That traditional methods produce good results is not proof that they alone can produce good results, or that they are ecologically sound. 

One goal I have is to imagine and demonstrate how a sustainable food economy might exist contained within steep mountainous terrain such as that in the pushed-together coal country of eastern KY or sw VA where large scale clearing is out of the question. At what ratios would farming, hunting, and foraging provide adequately, for what population density, and what new plants or ways of growing might be suited to such land? 

Patrick NC

We haven't had a garden since we bought this place a few years ago. Always had a big garden at our old place. The ground is really Rocky here and hard to plow so I built a bunch of raised beds from all the scraps I had left over from sawing cedar this year. We built a dozen beds and spaced them where we can mow in between them. Planted onions and radishes in March, Strawberries in April, and finished everything else last week. Tomatoes, green beans, corn, sweet potatoes, cucumbers, and bell peppers. We also planted a small orchard this year with peaches, apples, plums, and cherries. 2 trees each. Last year we put out blackberries, blueberries,and a fig tree. Hopefully in a few years we can start reaping the benefits. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Don P

Very little in the garden this year, I'm trying not to kill what is in the high tunnel till she can get outside and back down there. The rows inside are about 60' long, one is maters looking good, about 1' or so tall, a row of various peppers, I've been covering both of those rows with floating row cover at night. One of beans and one of melons/cukes/squash. There is a row of salad greens of various types about played out but more started up here. The rest we'll buy at the farmers market through the season.

We were watching a movie tonight, she got up and walked to the kitchen before realizing she didn't have the walker. Made it fine but was stranded once it dawned on her what she had done  :D. Not bad for 9 days out on a new knee.

Southside

Don - my mom got a new knee 9 days ago ---- Is there something you need to tell me?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

I plan on throwing a few cannabis seeds in the ground. Might plant some cucumbers, bell peppers and tomatoes this week. Sunflowers too!
A1

Ed_K

I was told by an old mentor of mine not to plant till the ground was 50° for 1 week, peas an potatoes a little earlier. We don't plant a garden anymore as the deer eat it before we can. An deer are just like goats can't keep them in or out  ;D.
Ed K

Sedgehammer

Yup. today on mothers day. her idea.  ;D

should've been done a month ago, but no time
Necessity is the engine of drive

Sailor Mars

Does anyone have good books or advice for starting out with gardening? Ive never had the best green thumb and wanted to build a decent sized box garden. I've been planning on doing basic stuff for the summer, things like tomatoes, peppers, basil, oregano, etc. 
Forestry undergrad, forest tech and trail crew work

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: Sedgehammer on May 09, 2021, 10:20:18 AM
Yup. today on mothers day. her idea.  ;D

should've been done a month ago, but no time
Better late than never. 

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: Ed_K on May 09, 2021, 09:14:09 AM
I was told by an old mentor of mine not to plant till the ground was 50° for 1 week, peas an potatoes a little earlier. We don't plant a garden anymore as the deer eat it before we can. An deer are just like goats can't keep them in or out  ;D.
Deer are big problem for me as well. Always a running battle to see who will get most of the sweet corn.

Thank You Sponsors!