iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fishin

Started by doc henderson, May 04, 2024, 05:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

thought this thread might "catch" on.  here is a catch the man would have liked to have thrown back but could not. smiley_thumbsdown fishin-smiley

NP numbed it up and pulled it out.  fishhook in the turtle and the man.  The turtle felt the same way about the man. ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

I wore a 20" Northern pike home from fishing the salt river  below the house as a 12yr old. Red and white daredevil treble hook through the thumb. Left my bike and had to climb up out of the river valley trying to keep the fish from flopping. It hurt so bad I stopped on the gravel road at the top and found a rock to put that fish out of my misery.  My x brother in law was the only one at the house. He cut the hook and removed the fish with side  cutters, then took me to the hospital.  I can still feel that fish flopping in my minds eye.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

olcowhand

Here's one time I got to be like @doc henderson .... Wherein I was actually part of the solution instead of well, you know.
Sometime >20 years ago, I was Steelhead fishing on the Manistee River- and an older gentleman approached me and asked for help. He had a 7-8 lb Steelhead, an ~8 lb Wad of sinkers, line & Hooks and the meaty part of his right ring finger- all well connected with the barb clearly showing on the wrong side of the wound. The fish was exceedingly anxious to make known her protestations as a participant of this "Cluster" (we'll leave that word right where it is for now, you can add more to it in the privacy of your own noggin), and was attempting quite vigorously to extricate herself from this activity.
I had been given a Leatherman by my bride a few years earlier, and when this gentleman asked if I had anything on me that would cut this hook- I immediately thought of this tool.
Well, some hooks are pretty hard- and it required quite a bit of effort to finally cut the hook. The man wasted no time in dispatching the fish and added it to his stringer.
I still have that Leatherman. I know that they can repair these, as it's very hard to open this one with the cutting edges bent over- but I chose to leave it as a memento. I'd rather have it as a memory of one time I was actually able to help someone that was in a situation I hope to never be in......IMG_4573.jpg
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Old Greenhorn

I think those jaws are usually made from 440SS (investment cast, then machined) and they aren't really hard like dikes would be. Yours is a leatherman. I have the Schrade version which was gifted to me by that company. I designed the tooling to hold their jaws for machining as well as did all the loop programming. We put up something like 80 pieces at a clip on a tombstone and had two tombstones alternating, so while one was being machined the other was having the parts changed out and checked. The machine never stopped running and we did thousands in a 14 hour day, longer if we were behind. Overall we did hundreds of thousands of those jaws for Schrade until things went wrong in their business.
 Those jaws take a set when they get dented and those cutters are right in the corner and hard to get at but you might be able to get in there with a little cup wheel on a die grinder and sneak that burr off.
 Nice save, I bet that felt good to be on the right side of those pliers.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

We do not really have much of this kind of equipment in the ED.  I often have to go to my truck or call maintenance.  The big advantage we have is medicine for numbing around the hook or nail, and meds that make you not care as much all the way to drool and not move.  ffcool good job Steve and Tom.
It is often a hand or finger, unless it is a kid casting around others.  then it is often the face.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

B.C.C. Lapp

I had a nice Rapala floating plug stuck in the back of my head once.  Embarrassing. fishin-smiley
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

SwampDonkey

Gotta be tough to be a fisherman.  ffwave
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SawyerTed

Caught a speckled sea trout with a Mirro Lure that had treble hooks on it drive one of the hooks through the skin on my right index finger last September.   We were fishing with a guide who got kind of excited about the problem.  

I got the fish unhooked and released while the guide looked for pliers.  Once we found the pliers, it was standard procedure, drive the barb out of the skin, cut the barb off then remove the hook.  Except it was a self operation, our guide was a bit woozy and had to look in the first aid kit for supplies.  ffcheesy  Emily just kept catching fish... :uhoh: ffcheesy

Used ibuprofen for the pain and continued fishing.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

doc henderson

If you have a bunch of grand kids or cub scouts fishing in groups, not a bad idea to crush the barb with plyers.  single hooks no trebles.  ffsmiley   A hat with sunglasses looks cool and can add to safety.  a 5 y/o traumatized by an ordeal like this can be a handful.

SawyerTed

Many years ago while mountain trout fishing with spinning gear, I cast my lure and it sailed a bit high.   The lure went over a branch, as I had done many times I gave the lure a little tug with the rod.

Well the lure hung up a bit.  A little stronger tug brought the lure straight at my face in a bullet like trajectory.  I ducked my head to the left to prevent getting hit in the face.   My Dumbo like ear just caught one barb on the treble hook (black with yellow dot Panther Martin spinner).  

Yep the barb impaled my ear right at the very top of my ear.  I had to sit on a rock and use my small needle nose pliers/scissors attached to my vest to pull the hook out.  I didn't even have to cut the line.     

It was painful (I almost tear up thinking about it) but the teasing I would have gotten from my fishing buddies when we gathered at the end of the afternoon would have been ruthless.  Nobody remembers my slightly bloodied ear but they would never have forgotten me showing up with a fishing lure ear ring.  

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!   ffcheesy
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

doc henderson

Ok.  even if it is hard to restart, turn your mower off before you unclog the shoot.  

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!