iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to do with sweet gum

Started by BowFish, February 26, 2021, 07:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BowFish

I've got a lot of sweet gum on my property, and was wondering if it was good for anything.

Tacotodd

Burning 🔥 Let it dry for a few YEARS (at least 2) and then you'll be able to split it with a maul or an axe. Be warned, not as many BTU's as oak. I don't have a splitter, but a good one should do the job.

Also not good for walking around the yard barefoot! The little pods look like sea urchins.
Trying harder everyday.

Southside

Or you can sell it for $500 a slab.  Your choice.  Cut these today.

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Southside on February 26, 2021, 09:03:11 PM
Or you can sell it for $500 a slab.  Your choice.  Cut these today.

Awesome 

burdman_22

From what I've been told, sweet gum is kinda plain and not very pretty fresh cut, but if you let it lay for a year or so and then mill it the colors can be quite pretty

firefighter ontheside

Sweetgum has a nick name of "satin walnut" because it is pretty wood.  It doesn't dry straight, especially when flat sawn.  Your best bet is to saw it oversized or quarter saw it.  I used it for my son's bedroom trim, but I had to do a bunch of re-sawing and planing to make it usable, because I sawed 6/4 slabs that did not dry flat at all.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

My son and I made a picture frame for some of his soccer pictures today.  We used a piece of sweetgum that was hanging around the shop.  I think it will look very nice with some finish on it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

kelLOGg

Made from sweetgum diagonally cut, air dried and kiln dried. Has not split after several years. I have made 3 of these.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Ron Scott

~Ron

metalspinner

Powderpost beetles ate my lumber up. 
It was beautiful, but twisted the most of anything I've ever had. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!