iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spring Steelhead Fishing

Started by olcowhand, April 12, 2022, 08:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olcowhand

I mentioned in last Fall's "Salmon Run" thread that I love Steelhead fishing. They spawn in the Spring, but follow the Salmon up-river in the fall to get fat on Salmon eggs. Well, the Spring spawning run is on! Went out last week, and went one for 5; Yesterday, I went one for 7! These are a tenacious fighting fish, and water conditions generally require a 6 lb fluorocarbon leader. If you ever hooked one of these fish, you'd know why the Hook-up/ Landing ratio is in their favor.
The Michigan DNR reduced the Daily Possession limit to one fish; Yesterday was my first time catching my limit, but only because the "Limit" changed. All in all, a great day.....
Pics today include one of the fish (never mind the ugly dude holding it...), and of the resulting meal....

I cut five 1" Steaks and two nice fillets from him. I'm the only one in my Houshold that eats fish, so there are several good meals waiting for me...
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

sawguy21

I envy you, they are one heck of a fighter. Steelhead fishing is severely curtailed here, two of our premier rivers are closed.  :'(
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Onthesauk

John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

YellowHammer

That is cool.  Looks like a blast. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

SwampDonkey

Noting beats the taste of a wild fish, nor the thrill of hooking and landing one. My favorite salmonid is the Atlantic Salmon. A fierce fighter. My largest was a 38" incher. My largest brook trout was 24", those things are thick through from belly to dorsal. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

nativewolf

@tule peak timber 

Haven't see you post in a while.  Hope you are well and this thread makes you smile.
Liking Walnut

olcowhand

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 13, 2022, 05:19:46 AMMy favorite salmonid is the Atlantic Salmon. A fierce fighter

I agree. We have Atlantic Salmon planted here. I've hooked them up in the rapids at Sault Sainte Marie, ON, but have never landed one. Many boat fishermen inch the bow of their boat under the outlet Ducts in the Hydro-Electric Station in Soo, MI- then drift back to fight the fish in bigger water. Very acrobatic.

olcowhand

Quote from: nativewolf on April 13, 2022, 05:52:02 AM
@tule peak timber

Haven't see you post in a while.  Hope you are well and this thread makes you smile.
Thanks, NativeWolf; I was also wondering about Rob. I remember that he also loves to fish a trout river, and a delicious meal....

Walnut Beast

I think he bought some property in Alaska and thought he was going there. Maybe fishing 🎣 away 

jb616

Quote from: olcowhand on April 13, 2022, 06:05:34 AM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 13, 2022, 05:19:46 AMMy favorite salmonid is the Atlantic Salmon. A fierce fighter

I agree. We have Atlantic Salmon planted here. I've hooked them up in the rapids at Sault Sainte Marie, ON, but have never landed one. Many boat fishermen inch the bow of their boat under the outlet Ducts in the Hydro-Electric Station in Soo, MI- then drift back to fight the fish in bigger water. Very acrobatic.
Caught my limit there one morning in about 20 minutes when my son was going to Lake State....just throwing blue and chrome Cleos up into the outlets. The locals make a steel hook (Magic hook?)  and connect right to the outlets. 

olcowhand

Quote from: jb616 on April 13, 2022, 12:06:16 PMThe locals make a steel hook (Magic hook?)  and connect right to the outlets. 

.... And they leave the hook there so nobody takes their spot when they drop back to fight the fish. There are two or three of those outlets that are highly sought after. You can also look down in that water, and see the fish swimming under you. As SwampDonkey says, they are sizable. I read a recent DNR News Release stating that they're closing fishing on the outlets to perform maintenance.....

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I think the record Atlantic salmon here was 72 pounds. I've seen some huge fish in one of the rivers, laying along the ledges in deep water. The water in some of the rivers here is crystal clear, but some are also dark as coffee. Just depends on the source. :)

[Quote from the New York Times]

"The largest Atlantic salmon ever caught in North America was hooked, landed and released by Ken Jamieson of Houston on the evening of June 23, 1990. Jamieson was fly fishing the ledge area of Cross Point Pool on the Ristigouche River in New Brunswick, Canada, about 35 miles upstream from where the river enters the Baie des Chaleurs.
Only grilse, small salmon that return to their natal streams to spawn after one year at sea, may be killed by salmon fishermen in New Brunswick. The salmon's weight was calculated to be 72 pounds, only a few pounds less than the largest rod-and-reel salmon on record, 79 pounds 2 ounces, caught on the Tana River in Norway in 1928. The largest Atlantic salmon taken by a fly fisherman weighed slightly more than 74 pounds. It was caught on the Aaroy River in Norway in 1921.
Because Jamieson's fish could not be weighed, a formula for computing the poundage of a salmon was used: the length times the square of the girth divided by 800. The fish was 68 1/2 inches long; its girth was 29 inches."
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

tule peak timber

This April in Kodiak , going back next week.

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Old Greenhorn

HEY! You're alive! Great to see you posting again! We missed you!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

barbender

A friend just gave me some fresh halibut he caught in Alaska. They sure are ugly but they are good eats!
Too many irons in the fire

olcowhand

Nice Fish, Rob!
You know I can't beat that here in Michigan. I hope things are well with you.
Steve

terrifictimbersllc

Whoa!!!!

Please update us what happens next week!!!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!