iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Moultrie Feeder

Started by TroyC, May 02, 2022, 06:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TroyC

Just received my order of a Moultrie Unlimited feeder, the one with the electric shocker for the varmits. The squirrels are terrible on my older feeder so I'm gonna try to shock them away.

Anybody here use this feeder? The reviews I read are not super encouraging but the squirrels are relentless. Haven't seen raccoons or possums bothering, just the squirrels. I have the older feeder set up now with a real time video monitor so I can watch it from anywhere. I really enjoy watching the deer, they are getting ready to drop fawns now.

The squirrels climb the legs and sit on the feeder motor, spinning the plate and chewing on the plastic. I think I'll try the PVC pipe on the feeder legs, have read that helps. Just wondering if anyone here has has good/bad luck with this zapper model.

thecfarm

Quote from: TroyC on May 02, 2022, 06:51:41 PM

The squirrels climb the legs and sit on the feeder motor, spinning the plate and chewing on the plastic.   
This might work for you. Or slow them down some. Might be too big, but may give you an idea.
something to put around the legs
I have one around the pole on my bird feeder.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

I have not used the shocker on mine. I buy the ones I attach to the bottom of a plastic barrel. These have a mount I leave on the barrel and remove the feeder at the end of the year I remove the feeder motor unit and leave the barrel and mount till next year.

I hang mine on a cable between 2 trees about 20-25 above ground and run a winch cable to through a pulley on the cable to lift the heavy filled feeder. I hook the winch to a handy nearby tree and crank the feeder up and down as needed.

I had trouble with squirrels and coons chewing through the plastic on the top of the barrel. Once I greased it good with WD40 and watched a big fox squirrel jump on and fall off the next day but now I get a piece of thin aluminum flashing about 14" X 14" and cut a hole in the middle and run the rope through it and to the barrel and that seems to be working to keep them off.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TroyC

Just a heads up- went to get a 6v battery for the feeder yesterday. I live in central Florida, shouldn't be a problem, right? You know, just those plain little rechargeable 6 v batteries.

Two Walmarts, nope, don't carry them anymore. Special order. Lowe's, nope, special order, takes a week. Home Depot, yep, got them! Only 24.00 each. What? They usually run 10.00.

OK, enough wasting gas. Push Amazon button and 2 or 19.98.

Just thought I'd let you know before hunting season. Get 'em while you can!

Ron Scott

A friend of mine had a shocker on his feeder to jolt the squirrels. He said that they started liking the jolt and it attracted them more. He said that it was funny watching the hair go up on their back; but he had to resort to shooting them off the feeder with a 22 Cal bullet or high-powered pellet gun. :D
~Ron

TroyC

Yeah, did that also but I'm not there all the time. Gave me a reason to put a new scope on the old .22 and sight it in at 80 yards. I have a real time live camera on the feeder so I am looking forward to watching the squirrels reaction to the zapper. Deer are ready to drop fawns now and it is a treat to watch them play and grow.

Thank You Sponsors!