iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watcha Makin'?

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 20, 2022, 07:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azmtnman

We made this book shelf to replace the milk crate that held our Bibles. It is made from red oak from Indiana given to us years ago.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Walnut Beast

aigheadish

A special project... Take one of these:

Turn it into one of these:

And see where that takes us... To be continued, perhaps... 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

aigheadish

Progress. We'll see, gotta go. 4:05 hours for this pass.

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Old Greenhorn

The plot thickens! I have NO idea what I am looking at. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

jimbarry

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on June 12, 2022, 12:09:51 AM
The plot thickens! I have NO idea what I am looking at. ;D
Looks like he is 3D printing on that piece of pine board he posted previously.

Crusarius

I think Jim meant laser printing.

jimbarry

aigheadish has said 4 hours for that pass, so I figured it was 3D. Looking at it again, it does appear laser printed. 

aigheadish

Haha! The intrigue is working! It shall be a mystery other than it is, indeed, laser.

Sadly, my poor man's laser takes a long time depending on what is happening. 

Old Greenhorn

And you are going to make us all wait while you are off on a family adventure for a couple of weeks? That's a little cruel don't you think. You KNOW we don't have much of a collective attention span. :D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Crusarius

aigheadish

May not have to wait that long... 

Wlmedley

Back deck on my son and daughter in law's house had a rickety gate and I was afraid my two year old grandson would run through it.Built new one out of white oak.I bet it weighs 50 pounds 😀.Ordered heavy duty hinges.I hope they hold up.

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

caveman

One of my former students used some oak slabs one of our customers purchased to build this table using Ritelegs.  The customers seem to be very pleased with it.  I thought he did a great job.

Caveman

Magicman

I also like the "half" benches on each side.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

The wood is beautiful.  And so are the Deb legs. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Old Greenhorn

That's pretty much what I am quoting for this new client, but in Red Oak. Same legs and just 2 of the half benches. That one came out beautiful. What wood is that?

caveman

Thank you for the kind comments.  The top was from a laurel or water oak (red oaks) from my neighbor's place.  It was damaged in a storm and I helped him take it down.  I was going to burn the log until I saw the bacterial stain and the color when I was cutting it into lengths my tractor could handle.  The 49" benches should make it less cumbersome for folks to get to and away from the table.
Caveman

aigheadish

@Old Greenhorn I forgot to take a picture of the mystery project when it was complete... If you care to solve the mystery that's cool, but no big deal if you don't, it sounds like you are busy.

To solve the mystery for other readers- I lasered Tom's "Woodsman Forest Products" logo on a board. It is similar to one @doc henderson made for him, I realized a bit late.

It was interesting to compare the work of the 2 very different quality lasers. Doc's does some really neat detail work that I don't think mine is capable of, and I'm assuming it does it much, much faster than mine. While I can't justify the cost of a better laser it was pretty neat to see why I might consider it if I were making money with one. 

Old Greenhorn

Will do! My bad, I forgot to do the same , sorry. Right after you guys departed I got right back into the swing with long days and several projects and it slipped my mind entirely. I'll fix that today.
 As they say "No pictures, it didn't happen'.  :D

Old Greenhorn

OK,  lets get that oversite fixed here and now. This is the mystery project that Aigheadish started a few weeks ago:

It came out beautiful and I am blessed to have it. Between the ones that Doc made for me and this I now have tow contrast schemes. Austin wasn't sure of the wood species and neither am I, but I am thinking poplar.
 At any rate, it's pretty and I am happy to have it. So thank you Austin!

aigheadish

Yes sir! I'm wondering if it's just some pine/fir, Tom? It seemed pretty soft but I don't know.

My laser, an Ortur, has a few common, but strange, issues. As seen in the "W" there were two spots the laser just didn't fire upon. Looking at the preview, prior to starting, everything looked fine and full but when the project started it just skipped that spot, several times. I've seen others have similar problems but hadn't experienced them myself until now. 

The difference in wood and grain structure is very interesting. Some stuff, presumably harder woods seem to burn away nicely and leave a consistent depth and texture to the burn. Then some other stuff, like the above, doesn't burn through the rings of the grain the same, giving the wavy texture as seen. Doc's, however, had, in the "Woodsman" part had almost a leathery texture to it that is really neat.

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, Doc has a nice Epilog. I used to run one in a previous life. They work nice. As for the little nit that bothers you so much, I was thinking of trying to locate my wood burning pencil (which I have not used since I was 12) and just touching up those two lines. I don't think a soldering gun will do it.
 That will have to wait for a bit though. Lots of stuff to get done in the coming days. ;D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

aigheadish

I wanted to the do the same Tom, but I was running out of time and afraid to mess it up further. Beware there is some spray poly on there if you go that route.

Thanks thecfarm!

Thank You Sponsors!