The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Watcha Makin'?  (Read 8520 times)

Offline Crusarius

• Senior Member x2
  • Lost in....
    • Share Post
    • RockModified.com
Re: Watcha Makin'?
« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2022, 09:39:09 PM »
SQUIRREL!!!

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2022, 09:48:21 PM »
May not have to wait that long... 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Offline Wlmedley

• Endeavor to persevere
    • Share Post
« Reply #162 on: June 15, 2022, 09:48:03 PM »
Back deck on my son and daughter in law’s house had a rickety gate and I was afraid my two year old grandson would run through it.Built new one out of white oak.I bet it weighs 50 pounds 😀.Ordered heavy duty hinges.I hope they hold up.

Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #163 on: June 15, 2022, 11:36:08 PM »
One of my former students used some oak slabs one of our customers purchased to build this table using Ritelegs.  The customers seem to be very pleased with it.  I thought he did a great job.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2022, 07:38:50 AM »
I also like the "half" benches on each side.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #165 on: June 16, 2022, 07:41:31 AM »
The wood is beautiful.  And so are the Deb legs. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
  • An old coot, still learning.
    • Share Post
    • Woodsman Forest Products
« Reply #166 on: June 16, 2022, 07:55:13 AM »
That's pretty much what I am quoting for this new client, but in Red Oak. Same legs and just 2 of the half benches. That one came out beautiful. What wood is that?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I am the woodcutter now.
I can work with wood, but I am NOT a Woodworker, but almost.

Offline caveman

• Senior Member x2
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
    • Share Post
« Reply #167 on: June 16, 2022, 11:57:24 PM »
Thank you for the kind comments.  The top was from a laurel or water oak (red oaks) from my neighbor's place.  It was damaged in a storm and I helped him take it down.  I was going to burn the log until I saw the bacterial stain and the color when I was cutting it into lengths my tractor could handle.  The 49" benches should make it less cumbersome for folks to get to and away from the table.

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2022, 06:54:45 AM »
@Old Greenhorn I forgot to take a picture of the mystery project when it was complete... If you care to solve the mystery that's cool, but no big deal if you don't, it sounds like you are busy.

To solve the mystery for other readers- I lasered Tom's "Woodsman Forest Products" logo on a board. It is similar to one @doc henderson made for him, I realized a bit late.

It was interesting to compare the work of the 2 very different quality lasers. Doc's does some really neat detail work that I don't think mine is capable of, and I'm assuming it does it much, much faster than mine. While I can't justify the cost of a better laser it was pretty neat to see why I might consider it if I were making money with one. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #169 on: June 30, 2022, 06:59:48 AM »
Will do! My bad, I forgot to do the same , sorry. Right after you guys departed I got right back into the swing with long days and several projects and it slipped my mind entirely. I'll fix that today.
 As they say "No pictures, it didn't happen'.  :D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #170 on: June 30, 2022, 09:39:42 PM »
OK,  lets get that oversite fixed here and now. This is the mystery project that Aigheadish started a few weeks ago:

It came out beautiful and I am blessed to have it. Between the ones that Doc made for me and this I now have tow contrast schemes. Austin wasn't sure of the wood species and neither am I, but I am thinking poplar.
 At any rate, it's pretty and I am happy to have it. So thank you Austin!

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #171 on: July 01, 2022, 06:41:20 AM »
Yes sir! I'm wondering if it's just some pine/fir, Tom? It seemed pretty soft but I don't know.

My laser, an Ortur, has a few common, but strange, issues. As seen in the "W" there were two spots the laser just didn't fire upon. Looking at the preview, prior to starting, everything looked fine and full but when the project started it just skipped that spot, several times. I've seen others have similar problems but hadn't experienced them myself until now. 

The difference in wood and grain structure is very interesting. Some stuff, presumably harder woods seem to burn away nicely and leave a consistent depth and texture to the burn. Then some other stuff, like the above, doesn't burn through the rings of the grain the same, giving the wavy texture as seen. Doc's, however, had, in the "Woodsman" part had almost a leathery texture to it that is really neat.

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #172 on: July 01, 2022, 09:36:23 AM »
Yeah, Doc has a nice Epilog. I used to run one in a previous life. They work nice. As for the little nit that bothers you so much, I was thinking of trying to locate my wood burning pencil (which I have not used since I was 12) and just touching up those two lines. I don't think a soldering gun will do it.
 That will have to wait for a bit though. Lots of stuff to get done in the coming days. ;D

Online thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #173 on: July 01, 2022, 10:08:36 AM »
That looks nice!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #174 on: July 01, 2022, 12:33:19 PM »
I wanted to the do the same Tom, but I was running out of time and afraid to mess it up further. Beware there is some spray poly on there if you go that route.

Thanks thecfarm!

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #175 on: July 01, 2022, 04:10:51 PM »
It looks good to my eyes so I'd leave it alone but then I'm not seeing it in person. If you want an excuse for leaving it alone it is rumored that the Amish women always make a minor "mistake" on their quilts because only God is perfect and they aren't competing with God. I don't know if that is true but I've used that logic a time or so when someone points out an imperfection in my handiwork.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Offline Old Greenhorn

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #176 on: July 01, 2022, 04:22:06 PM »
I know the shakers would do that in their furniture, same reason. I always have something I wish my eyes would not see in my work.
As far as that sign goes, it's just fine! But Austin pointed it out when he gave to me and it's a lot like pointing out a pimple on a pretty girl. After somebody says something, you can't stop noticing it. It has been a hard lesson for me not to point out the flaws in my work, but I am getting there. Let the client decide if they like it.
That picnic table i a case in point, I said nothing when Bill ad his wife looked it over for a while (with lots of "WOWS"). After a bit Bill noticed a spot and I just said 'you want me to fix it?' "Nope" he said real quick, "leave it as is, it's a dang picnic table not the last supper table".

When I was doing design work with integrated systems sometimes a tech or a customer would call up and say "There's a bug, it does that when I want it to do that." I would just say, "That's not a bug, it's a feature and we designed that in special." Shut them up, almost every time.

Offline doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #177 on: July 01, 2022, 08:23:59 PM »
It looks great.  That is the trouble with high standards.  As we refine our craft, our standards go up as well.  At some point you have to be satisfied.  It is also how we get better.  We are ALL getting better.  we know where every little defect or ding is.  Perfect never gets finished.  God bless rustic!  
usflag
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Offline aigheadish

• Tiiiiimmbeeerrr!
    • Share Post
« Reply #178 on: July 03, 2022, 12:05:39 PM »
Haha! I contemplated not mentioning it but I couldn't not see it! I'll say I went the Amish route, I certainly have the beard for it. 

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #179 on: July 03, 2022, 12:17:58 PM »
   I had not heard about the Amish or Shakers deliberately leaving a minor mistake on their quilts or other work  but the Muslims do the same thing on their rugs and such for the same reason from what I hear.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

thumbup
Makin' the Grade

Started by fencerowphil (Phil L.) on Sawmills and Milling

19 Replies
Last post January 09, 2007, 08:59:26 PM
by fencerowphil (Phil L.)
xx
makin' pegs

Started by son reech on Timber Framing/Log construction

1 Replies
Last post February 25, 2007, 12:01:51 AM
by Dave Shepard