iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buckwheat gone to seed?

Started by Jeff, August 07, 2022, 07:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I left a small patch of buckwheat to grow where I plan on moving my garden too. It is currently dropping seed. Would it be better knock down the parent plansts now so the seed and get back up  through for a fall crop?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Admins, if this topic is in the wrong spot, please move it?  :D  seems like it should be in food

Don P

It can become kinda invasive if that's what you're asking.

newoodguy78

Are you looking to get a second crop of buckwheat out of it or terminate completely?
If a second crop is your goal completely let it go to seed then disk it or roll it to get seed to soil contact.
If you're trying to terminate it completely you might have missed the window.
For complete termination I'd mow or disk as soon as possible wait till it starts to sprout again then do the same.
I'm a big fan of buckwheat for the very reason it can be tough to eradicate completely once it seeds out....it really likes to keep the ground covered

Don't underestimate it as a deer attraction either. Last fall two of the nicest bucks I've seen in awhile were shot while munching on my buckwheat.

Jeff

I want a second crop. This is for the soil. No discing here.that is a long slope to the pond. It will always be no til. no worry about being invasive up here Don. First frost its gone

Southside

Like NW said, let it go to hard seed then run it down with your wheeler or tractor to get good seed to soil contact.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

newoodguy78

The frost will certainly take it out however it's not completely done. A certain amount will come back the following year. Have several fields this year in production that had buckwheat last year that went to seed. Even after being plowed under its showing up in my crops. 
As of now it doesn't present what I feel as a problem. The pollinators love it and I'm not seeing nearly as much (hardly any) ragweed and lambs quarters pressure. Two weeds that are absolutely rampant in this area

aigheadish

I've never messed with buckwheat but was told that it's great for the bees. It'd be nice to start some in the back field. Does it need sewn like normal plants or can I just mow a spot and toss some seeds down like grass seed? This field doesn't have much going on. It was hayed but now we mostly just let it go (grow). 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

newoodguy78

I've never messed with seeding it as you mentioned. Wouldn't be surprised though if you broadcasted it over the top of closely mowed grass right after a rain and rolled or tracked it in you would get a decent catch. 

I've had a couple of the local beekeepers that I don't even know randomly give me several jars of honey just because they found out it was me planting all the buckwheat around town.  They didn't need to do that yet it was greatly appreciated. 

aigheadish

I'll have to figure out where to buy some seed. 

There are a few things I'd like to do in that field and buckwheat is one of them. I'd also like to do some raspberries or fruit trees or something though I don't know how much babysitting any of that takes. The area is not conducive to watering but I'd be willing to water some to get stuff started. If I do any of that it'll become bee and deer food, I'm sure. My buddy had the idea to make a pick-your-own raspberry farm, I like it if I can control it. I don't want people traipsing all over the property. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

thecfarm

We sell buckwheat at the hardware store I work at. Kinda pricey stuff.
We sell it by the pound or a 50 pound bag.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

aigheadish

Southside

Just ask Ray to bring it out to your car for you.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

Give an Old Man a break!!  :D 
Your local hardware store should have it. 
We also have store pick up.  :D
We take a credit card over the phone.  ;D
I'm still on light duty, so one of the other guys will bring it to your car.
Not many stores will load it in your car. 
Most stores you are on your own.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

newoodguy78

I've heard buckwheat seed is high this year, haven't bought any still working on overstock from last season.

Cfarm do you know what a 50# bag is going for this year?

aigheadish

Cramazon looks like around 5ish bucks a pound. 

I'd never seen buckwheat before, it's pretty! Not what it looks like in my pancakes either...

Jeff

Buckwheat is in short supply now I am told. I bought mine back in april, it was $39 for a 50lb bag then.

Jeff

I bought 200lbs of winter rye lasr month, $17 for 50lb

aigheadish

So, I'm learning by typing into the the ol' G box but you guys seem smarter than Google. 

If I were to plant some of this in the back field and basically let it go, does it reseed itself or I'd need to replant every year?

newoodguy78

I've heard the same about buckwheat supply. Rye  is ridiculously high this year in our area.

newoodguy78

The plant itself is not frost tolerant at all the seed is not effected nearly as much. The first frost will wipe the plants out and they'll lay down in a mat. If however it's gone to the point of hardseed (usually 45-55 days from planting date in this area) from what I've experienced you will get reestablishment in the spring. 

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

thecfarm

I can get prices tomorrow. I had today off.
Winter rye will be a lot cheaper.

thecfarm

These are both 50# bags.
Winter rye was about $19.
That buckwheat was $139.
Jeff you got a deal!!! I don't think I can bring it into the store for what you paid. 

Thank You Sponsors!