iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hunting E Bikes

Started by Walnut Beast, September 10, 2022, 07:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Who has one and what brand ?? I plan on getting one in the near future.  I have been researching them pretty heavy and have them narrowed down to two different makes. Like anything else the more features and ah batteries the more money

Walnut Beast

This is one of the unique bikes I was considering but I'm moving in the direction of a internal rear Rolhoff gear hub no gears on the outside. 

Walnut Beast

https://bakcou.com/products/storm-jager-fat-tire-electric-bike

These are pretty good bikes. This is their top of the line model. Several models cheaper but this is one I'm considering. They were sold out and I got a message that they were back in stock but he said if you want one you better order one. He was right two days later they were sold out.

SawyerTed

Thought I would share a little about our e bikes.  I'm not suggesting the bikes we have would make good hunting bikes but I have a little first hand e bike experience that might help.

My wife and I have Lectric brand folding e bikes.  I looked at hunting e bikes but the prices were prohibitive at $3k to $8k.  I used to ride mountain bikes on trails with some regularity until a hard fall laid me up for a couple of months so the hunting!mountain bike configuration was interesting to me.

As I'm sure you've found, the greater amp hour batteries give greater range and conversely, the higher watt motors decrease range - 750 watts and 1000 watts are typical.  Ours have a range up to 45 miles using the lowest pedal assist level and 20 miles using throttle only.  We have standard 9.6 ah batteries.  They offer an extended range battery with up to 65 miles range.  Ours have 750 watt motors and they have no trouble hauling my 200 pound self and a full load of groceries or camping supplies at top speed on throttle only. I tend to use pedal assist less than Emily.  I'm a bit over 6' tall and the folding bike fits okay.  

Most e bikes have two power settings, I don't recall the designations but ours came at the lower power setting.  There's a setting in the controls to access the higher power.  We learned that some areas (towns. parks, trails) require the lower setting be used.  The difference is the top speed somewhere like 18 miles per hour on the lower setting and 28 mph in the higher setting, I don't recall the exact numbers.

We bought folding bikes to take camping. They have become our main transportation around the campgrounds and often to get groceries and supplies.  Ours are outfitted with pannier bags (fancy name for soft saddlebags) and a rear rack.  The funny thing is folded, the bikes will sit in a 45 gallon tote.  This helps secure the bikes in the camper and prevents spreading dirt off the bikes.

For our use and the price $799 IIRC each plus accessories the Lectric bikes have been an exceptional value.  We've had no problems.  They are a bit heavy at a little over 60 pounds.

The Lectric bikes have smaller diameter rims than the hunting bikes which makes the Lectric bikes less "mountain bike" capable than the hunting bikes.  So they are two different kinds of bikes.

They are super quiet but make all the noises any bike makes plus a little whine from the electric motor.

Did I say we both really like and enjoy our e bikes?  We do!

I saw you posted the Rungu Dualie.  My dad's neighbor has one.  It is a huge beast of a bike!   I've not ridden it but it appears to be equipped with all the accessories for carrying gear.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

peakbagger

Whatever you do, dont go cheap. E bikes are expensive and there is a lot of chicom crap out there. Almost all bikes are assembled from components so its important to find out what components are used. 

Walnut Beast

Great information Ted and Peak 👍

SwampDonkey

Looks great for grouse hunting. What do you do when you get a moose, drive back for the skidder? ;) Yes, you could easily scout 100's of forest roads around here for moose. Never seen a clearcut around here without moose poo on the ground. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Walnut Beast

That's funny SwampDonkey. Actually they make small trailers guys are using for gear and game. I think you might have a little trouble with a moose if not quartered up. Pulling a 300 lb trailer is what they say can be done. I'll see about posting a picture of a trailer 

Walnut Beast

Here is some different trailers. Some guys and companies make hitch points from back rack to down on hub with a bolt ball trailer hitch. 

Walnut Beast

Haven't heard anybody have buyers remorse over a E bike only on buying a cheaper one. Everyone that seems to get a E bike or Hunting E bike that I'm following on several FB pages says it is a Game changer. And these bikes can go through and up some really rugged terrain 

SwampDonkey

Aaaa bull moose can be over 1000 lbs, some 1400 lbs. But yeah nothing wrong with buying what you have your mind set on. Me personally, I always drove to an old grown up road or two I wanted to hunt and just walked when grouse hunting. These were roads 90 miles from here and remote. Always used to use cover type maps to see the age of the growth and where the roads were. Like 10-15 year old growth for birds. Never hunted more than a week after Thanks Giving (Canada), because I wanted leaves on. Never was a deer hunter. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

barbender

I love the concept of those bikes, but I can easily see them being the next thing I hate. I hunt out in the Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming a lot. That range is absolutely overrun with side by sides and atvs. Those machines seem to bring out the worst in human behavior and the sight of them out there puts me in a bad mood instantly. The only solace is to hit the areas where they can't go- places where either the roads are closed, or there are no roads. So that's what I do. But my fear is one of these times, after hiking 5 hours in somewhere, someone is going to come whizzing by on an e-bike. I might clotges line them😡 There's no escape sometimes🤷‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

Walnut Beast

I got a feeling you are right 😂😂. They seem to be getting crazy popular and the good ones can climb like a mountain goat and with the big disc brakes some serious stopping. Some of these idiots are going to be going places they are not allowed also. The one bike I'm thinking of getting has a walk mode , so in serious steep terrain or nasty stuff you could have heavy stuff on the bike and be walking it up or over stuff at the speed you want walking 

peakbagger

Of course there is the original Rokon, made in NH. Two wheel drive and tough as nails. 

Home - Rokon

Stephen1

I have been thinking about  the e bikes. I will follow along. I have a 20 mile ride the the local micro brewery. It would be great to have power assist home.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

KEC

I have been toying with the idea of buying an electric riding lawn mower and removing the mower deck and using it to get around. Before I would buy one, I would research the rules on using them on trails closed to motor vehicles. These rules can vary from county park lands, state parks, state forest lands and New Yorks' Adirondack Park lands, etc.. I'm in reasonably good shape, but walking long distances is getting harder. I have a handicap tag for parking. What think you guys? 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: peakbagger on September 11, 2022, 06:46:58 PM
Of course there is the original Rokon, made in NH. Two wheel drive and tough as nails.

Home - Rokon
A think a dirt bike would spank it. There is a outfit out there that makes one like that that's all electric but it didn't have the front assist. They need to be thinking all electric then they would really have something 

Walnut Beast

Here is a good clarification on the class rules and laws. If you are in areas where you need the lower power setting it's wise to get one that's adjustable levels. 

Walnut Beast

I've been doing a bunch of research on these animals and some of there things might help somebody else make some decisions. This is the best internal gear hub out there and it's made in Germany. Belt drive is also on this bike I'm looking at and it's going to get and takeover the chain models on the higher end units.

Stephen1

The internal hub is interesting, I still have a full suspension Trek Mountain bike,  I know how it all works and have learned how to adjust and repair.  Without dirt getting involved i bet it is better. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

petefrom bearswamp

Interesting.
Good luck in your quest for a suitable one.
I could probably use one out west, but am choosing to put Elk, Muley and Antelope hunting in the rear view mirror.
Even my whitetail hunting consists of patrolling my property on my Kubota RTV and ADK hunting to stump sitting a couple of hrs in the morning and before dark.
Dont relish climbing into  a ladder stand anymore.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

K-Guy

Quote from: Stephen1 on September 11, 2022, 08:14:50 PMIt would be great to have power assist home.
Quote from: Stephen1 on September 11, 2022, 08:14:50 PMIt would be great to have power assist home.

I would be careful on that, they may save because it's motorized you need a license and charge you with impaired driving.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Walnut Beast

Quote from: peakbagger on September 11, 2022, 06:46:58 PM

Home - Rokon
That is a  very interesting unit! American made since 1958 and still going 💪. Have you ever rode one? They have quite a little following it looks like.  Watched some videos and looked like it could climb pretty good and go over some nasty terrain. 

Southside

Quote from: Stephen1 on September 11, 2022, 08:14:50 PM
I have been thinking about  the e bikes. I will follow along. I have a 20 mile ride the the local micro brewery. It would be great to have power assist home.
That invention has been around for a long time, they will save you from poker games and painted ladies too.  It's called an old horse.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

curved-wood

Here is a good ref for ebike review:Best Electric Bikes | Unbiased, In-Depth Reviews | ElectricBikeReview.com
I've got a fat bike electric. I love it. I run it in mud and slush.  In the forest it needs a trail. My small trailer is a used one after the kids are grown up. Not the best but does the job. On solid ground I've carry over 200 pounds in it. My bike brand is Igo which has a very good evaluation on EBR. I've paid $2,300 Canadian comes with front light and back rack. Couls be bought at Costco. The assistance of the motor stop at 30 mph. It is a 500 watts motor and from what I understand, it is the maximum power to be consider a bike ( in Québec ) More than that is has to be plate as a motorcycle. Not shure but I think you could carry a riffle without being lock or in a case (not the same for an ATV). 

Thank You Sponsors!