iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

livin' dangerously

Started by chet, December 29, 2022, 09:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

This little dude hangs out by my woodshed and outdoor wood boiler. You can almost hand feed um.

And this dude's den is no more 200' feet away.

They must have some kind of mutual understanding. At least so far.  :)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

I had a snowshoe hanging with me at the cabin much of the year that had little fear of me. A visit from Harold's dog on opener of bird season was the last I saw of him.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Walnut Beast

Chet that is pretty cool! Not very many foxes around here with all the coyotes

chet

yup, cottontail

I wish I could have gotten a video of a standoff he had with a whitetail the other day.  I had tossed a few apples out for him and the deer. One of da deer wasn't willin' ta share. But Mr. bunny wasn't ta be intimidated in da least.   :D  

Not much for coyotes with all the wolves we have here now.

Dat fox den pic was taken out of our living room window.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

customsawyer

I don't have much for rabbits or squirrels around my house. I have two red tail hawk nest where they were raising young this past summer. Needless to say they took out most of those small critters.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

aigheadish

I moved out to the country about 6 and half years ago. We moved from an old suburb of Dayton (built in the mid 1920s) that had lots of big mature trees and tons of squirrels.

The yard in the new house was pretty overgrown, mostly with lots of honeysuckle around the bases of the trees, but we had nothing for squirrels, rabbits, any of them smaller critters. Apparently, it was like customsawyer's, with some hawks and other birds of prey that kept the critters away. Since we moved in the population for small critters has increased substantially for some reason. We removed all the honeysuckle (at least in the yard, there's a neverending supply of it along the property lines), but I'm not sure what else has changed. We still have a fair amount of predatory birds around. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

caveman

Yesterday, while fishing on an area lake, a friend released a blue gill (bream) that was hooked pretty deep.  It floundered on top of the water for a minute or two.  A bald eagle was flying over, and we were awaiting it to swoop down and grab the injured fish, when an opportunistic brown pelican spotted it and quickly dove in for a small meal.  We usually see brown pelicans feeding on coastal fish, but recently, there seems to be quite a bit more on the lakes.
Caveman

Roxie

Yep. Let there be peace on earth.  

Say when

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chet

A second look at Roxie's pics I'm not too sure. Da bunny is not in da second pic, unless that is a pile of bunny fur just in front of that grinin' fox.  :-\

Ianab

When I was a teen living at home we had a wild rabbit that made it's burrow under the farm dogs kennel. On a cold morning, when Dad went to let the dog out to round up the cows, the rabbit would hop out of the kennel, and back into it's burrow. It had been sleeping in the kennel with the dog, for warmth.  :D

It's luck ran out one day though, and my Sisters horse stood on it.  :(
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

KEC

A few years back, I looked out into my back yard on a winters' night, snow on the ground, to see a cottontail under the bird feeder and something else not far away. I shined a flashlight  to get a better look and the rabbitt ran off. The other critter was a gray fox. Instead of going after the rabbitt, the fox went after some corn on the ground; much easier to catch.

SwampDonkey

I'm in the middle of a potato field here, but I have a snow shoe hare show up once in a  great while. One hopped through last winter. The back yard is known for ground hogs and sometimes a red fox takes one of their burrows for a den. Takes one of them once in awhile to. Last 2 summers we had a family of groundhogs around here. They seem to disperse by August, maybe they go off and find their own patch of ground. I've had red fox try to steal packaged chicken from the groceries, between me unloading and carrying them into the house, car door left open. They are opportunists for sure, masters of it. :D

The kicker is the lynx showing up. Now that makes more sense. The main prey is snow shoe hare. :D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!