iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ain't that just typical!

Started by karl, July 26, 2005, 07:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karl

Couple weeks ago I was sawin' some hemlock and stalled the MD on a big ol' knot, start  'er up and BANG.
DANG, wha's that?
Edge blade missing a bit and shank- Ok, look around for the shank, give up and go to spare parts.
Yup, got shanks for main blade, none for edgers. Crawl around in sawdust trailer siftin' sawdust, all over mill and half the millyard.
Ok FINE!  ::)Go order some- called three different places- "We'll get back to you" RRRRIIIGHT! Call them back after a few days-"Sorry we don'tcarry 3x 10's"
Ok, FINE!  ::)Call MD (been trying to avoid all that shipping) and order a few @ 7.80 ea.
Get home that night- message from supplier #2 "We found 3x10 shanks- you can pick 'em up Fri for 6.20 ea."
8) order up some more, gonna pickup metal cutting bands anyway.
Friday I drive the 50 + miles to get my stuff-"Oh we're sorry, he forgot to take them off the truck, it's in Newport today(10 miles from my home!!!) we'll UPS them to you ::)
Get home monday - two UPS packages 8)

Ready for the punch line????

Tonight I walk out to cut up slabs aaannnd , Yup, picked up the missing shank laying 15 feet from the mill!
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

dail_h

World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Fla._Deadheader

Had a guy once tell me " Life is Grand, Divorce is 100 Grand".  ::) ::) ;D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

Karl, my man! ;D  You found that shank 15 feet in WHAT direction? ??? :P  I slung a shank from the upper edger a few weeks ago, and ain't found it yet! It was a brand DanG new one, too. :'(
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Frank_Pender

Careful, guys in useing shanks that have been thrown they tend to hnot want to stay much longer or hold the teeth in place. :'(
Frank Pender

karl

Dang
The direction was one that I try not to think about- it was directly behind the operator station!! :o :o

I like to think the wood nymphs found it and placed where I would find it since they ain't big enough to reinstall it.

Beats me how they can get out in a cut anyway ???

Frank- "THE MANUAL" says to hammer  them on the inside to tighten- ever try it? Or are you thinking just toss the flyers?
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

oakiemac

Karl,

I have "peened" a few shanks a couple of time to make them stay in tighter. It works-most of the time.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Frank_Pender

Karl, I have done it a couple times, but decided that it is just that much safer to replace them.  I must have a couple three dozen tht I have replaced over the last 10 or twelve years.  They could make for nice earrings or a neckless if you might want to recycle them. :D :D
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!