iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beech w/white leaves ? !!

Started by sprucebunny, May 27, 2008, 05:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

I found a tree with white leaves !!! It's on the side of a road I travel a lot in the summer. I don't think it was white last year ??? The leaders look a little stunted so maybe it will die.
Does anyone know what causes this ???

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Jeff

Now that looks unique.  I wonder if its some sort of genetic defect.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dodgy Loner

I've seen the exact same thing on sourwood leaves.  Except it wasn't a single tree, it was a whole colony of trees near the coast of North Carolina.  I suspect it had a genetic cause, rather than environmental, because not all of the sourwoods in the same area had the condition, but I can't be certain.  Interesting!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Wow, I have never seen that before.  Definitely not normal.  I don't have a clue what is going on :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sprucegum

You could write it up as a new species and call it a Beech Bunny  :D  :D

Dave Shepard

Severe chlorosis? (Unless I'm thinking of something completely different, going to have to start studying trees again.) ::)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Timburr

Dave, chlorosis is a lack of leaf clorophyll caused by a number of factors.   Damaged / compacted roots, poor drainage or a mineral deficiency (manganese, magnesium and if I remember correctly, iron) all play a role.   Other chlorosis possibles are genetic and viral disorders.
Sense is not common

Dave Shepard

So, what do you all think? It does look as though some of the leaves are green towards the center, and loose color towards the outside.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Dave, 

I think that you are absolutely right about the chlorosis.  I also subscribe to the observation by Mr. Timburr that the causative factor is environmentally based.  "Very interesting set of dynamics, my dear Watson" :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

I've never seen it that bad before.

Sprucebunny, can you treat this tree for chlorosis for us to see if it gets better? :D :D

Dave

Timburr

My understanding is that magnesium specifically, is used by the plant, for the manufacture of chlorophyl and anything that disrupts the flow to the leaves, in the form that the the plant can utilise, induces chlorosis.

During my travels, I've seen plants (not trees) with pale coloured leaves on bud burst and have retained this anaemic look for a number of weeks.  Eventually they find their equilibrium and resume to a vibrant, healthy green.   Certainly an odd phenomenon.

Sprucebunny, probably worth checking it's status in a few weeks.  :)

Sense is not common

SwampDonkey

Looks cool. If it's genetic it could be "ornamental" beech and sprucebunny will make a mint.  8)

I have a beech yard tree, I like the smooth gray bark. I hate the stuff however, if I'm bush whacking. Man, it's like barbed wire in the thick of the woods.  :D ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

I've checked up on this tree a few times. Here's a picture from a cloudy day which really shows it off.

I haven't seen much change in the leaf coloration. There is nothing very strange around the base of the tree. The leaders continue to look stunted but I don't see any withered leaves.

sprucebunny

It's not looking good for this tree.

We have had temperatures over 90 F for a few days and the leaves are shriveling right up. There was a downpour last night so maybe it will perk up ???

Here is a picture from Monday June 9

WDH

It is looking bad for the little fellow.  I don't believe the little fellow will make it.  Let us know if it perks up any.

sprucebunny

This tree is still hanging on. Most of the leaves that were extremely white have fallen off. The leaves that are still on it are about 30% or more green but none are all green. The leaders still look bad. We are having a very wet summer and the tree is in a shady place to begin with.

WDH

Hang in there, little feller!

OneWithWood

It would seem the bird with the runs is getting better  :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

sprucebunny

Spring 2009

The tree has leafed out but is less white this year. Few leaves are all white.

WDH

It might be a chimeral mutation.  Chimeral plants can have very light tissue in parts of the leaf or veins giving it a variegated aspect. 

SwampDonkey

I had a white spruce that was albino. It came from the experimental station that had taken cuttings from the tree and rooted them. It didn't amount to much, it grew a lot like a branch and it would flush white or pale yellow, then green up a little bit. It gradually got over grown by other yard trees and I did it in.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

I found another beech with one branch that has white leaves. The tree is about 8-9" dbh. The branch is about 7 feet off the ground. Rest of the tree looked normal.

mesquite buckeye

That white color is fairly distinctive for zinc deficiency. We had it in NW Ohio in the limestone areas, especially in wet years.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

newoodguy78

Just found this thread, very neat find. I'll bet those trees look really cool in the early morning and late evening light. Are the two trees in the same area? Did you happen to notice if the trees held those white leaves through the winter like a healthy beech tree does?

sprucebunny

The trees are about 20 miles apart. The first tree died. Most of it's leaves were white or multicolored with the veins greener. The second tree it was just one branch. I'll go by there soon and see what has happened to it.

The second tree is on route 153 about 3 miles north of Freedom village.

Thank You Sponsors!