iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Asian Longhorn Beetle

Started by D Martin, February 21, 2009, 09:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D Martin

I have been hearing news reports of the asian long horn bbetle problem in western Massachussets and was wondering if the problem was more widespread than the news reports I have heard. The reports I heard said that they were taking out lots of acres of trees.  I forget the actual number but it was ALOT. Sad.  :(. 
Are these trees quarinteened and useless?  If so how do they dispose of the wood. Is the problem really going to be solved?
Just wondering
Dave

stonebroke

I thought it was eastern Mass?

Stonebroke

Ron Wenrich

Here's a synopsis of what is on Wikipedia.

The Asian Long-horned Beetle in Mass. is located near Worcester.  It was found in 2008 and the quarantine area is 62 sq mi.  They have found about 2500 infected trees.  There is some evidence that the infestation started back in 1997. 

The beetle tends to stay in the general area of where they are born.  They may fly as far as 400 yards looking for a host tree.  Host trees tend to be maples, poplar, willow, birch and elm.  They put bunches of holes in the trees, so the trees would not make any type of decent lumber.

Eradication is to cut and chip the tree on site, then burn the chips.  They also grind the stump to below ground level.  They believe they can control and eradicate by using this method.  They also are experimenting with insecticide. 

The beetle came over in packaging from China.  Since 1998, all wood packaging material coming from China must be chemically treated or kiln dried. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

D Martin

62 sq mi and only 2500 trees ? Sounds like getting all the infected trees will be like finding  needles in a haystack. That dosnt sound as dramatic as the reporters were making it out to be (but what is) The report made it sound like it was on a much larger scale. lots of land but little infected trees it sounds more like. Anyway It must be a drag if its in you'r neighborhood.

Ron Wenrich

62 sq mi is the quarantine area, not necessarily the infested area.  And you also have lots of open areas in that. 

It has probably affected some residential trees.  That always makes it sound like a bigger problem.  If all those 2500 trees are in towns, then that could be a sizable part of their urban forest, especially localized into neighborhoods.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

slabmaster

Looks like FREE TRADE wasn't such a good deal after all was it? The ash borer has killed all my ash trees.It too came from China.Seems like the ones we are trusting to keep our country safe are doing us in!! They brought thes bugs over here and have shipped our jobs over there.HOW NICE. :'(

Toolman

It's amazing China has any trees left. To date, I have lost 18 elm, 4 large oaks, and 2 ash to infestation. This does'nt include my neighbors. There are so few elm left in my area. 10 yrs ago we've had hundreds, now only 10's. Oaks are being invaded by some type of boring insect. The wood has holes bored straight through the heartwood. Dutch elm disease killed the elm. Now I'm worried about Ash borer beatle. I've heard they have been located in western and northcentral Pa.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Thank You Sponsors!