iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawing wide heart pine

Started by kelLOGg, August 07, 2011, 07:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I have a friend who has heart pine cants measuring 4" x ~24" that have been stored in a barn for 50 years. She wants them sawn into 24" wide boards for the dramatic WOW! factor of wiiiiiide boards in perhaps a table. Is it wise to undertake this?, she asks. I have sawn similar cants from the same source for her sawyer father but I was sawing them 4" wide and even than I had trouble. I was new to sawing then and did not have sufficient set for pine, especially fat pine. In fact, it was this saw job that forced me to redesign my lube system: top and bottom diesel wipes before AND after the cut. I have not sawn anything so pitchy since so my lube system has not yet been challenged. She is willing for me to cut if this is at all possible and I want to rise to the challenge. What do you think? Should I offer? She has great appreciation for sawing because she grew up with a very successful sawing father and I would like to make the cants "proud".

This wood is pitchy. Think sawing big "fat wood" into lumber.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Dodgy Loner

I have sawed 18" wide heart pine with our 25HP LT15 with success. It started out as a disaster, though. We couldn't make a cut through a 6" cant without the blade diving up or down a half inch. We were using our standard lubricant - water and dish detergent - and the pitch caked up on the blades so thick, there was no way to make an accurate cut. We switched to lubricating generously with diesel, and continued to saw the rest of the logs with no problem.

Our situation was a bit different than yours - our widest cuts were only 18", not 24", but the logs were extremely knotty (and I assume your cants are mostly clear). Plus we were cutting green logs, not dry cants. I don't know whether this will make it easier or harder on you! I think it's certainly worth a shot though. Diesel lubricant is the best way to cut through the pitch.

Good luck, and be sure to take pics if you take on the job!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Buck

I get into the same pitch issues from time to time. Diesel softens the belts on the blade wheels.  Guess its a trade off. I do keep a squirt bottle handy for stubborn deposits. I use Magicmans recipe using Cascade dish soap with a couple of glugs of PineSol for each 5 gal batch I make. I haven't had experience with antique wood so my two cents may not help.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

ladylake

Wide dry pine, plenty of set and lots of good lube or a little diesel. I run diesel all winter with no ill efects on my tight belts.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

kelLOGg

Quote from: ladylake on August 07, 2011, 06:58:20 PM

Wide dry pine, plenty of set

I have been running 0.030" set for pine. Do you think it'll be enough for pitchy stuff? I have crowned steel wheels so I have no lube issues with a tire.
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

ladylake

I'd think .030 should work, if it has a lot of stringy fibers that pop up after sawing you could try a bit more if it wont saw straight.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

kelLOGg

Well, my friend is undecided as to whether she will sell the cants as is or have me saw them into 1 bys. She asked what they are worth as is, so I have posted pics for some input. They are 4" x 19" x 16' - not quite as wide as she initially indicated and there is some sapwood which has rotted but not much and a big crack in one. What advice can you give?
Bob

Thank You Sponsors!