iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

river log

Started by downeastmark, August 18, 2011, 11:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downeastmark

Hey guys,
    I've got this log that was taken out of the river nearby it looks to be axe cut and it was found a river that had a big mill at the end and was used to float a lot of logs down.  Right now I have only this one but i've spoken with authorities and they said that it isn't a big deal to retrieve them from certain rivers if i decide to do so.  I asked an older wood cutter and he said its probably a hundred year old log being axe cut and he said it looked like a hemlock which wasn't the most desired log.  but my question is what would it be good for?  what should i saw it into?  it is 14' 6" long 9.5 " on the small end and 13" on the but i sawed the axe cut end off jus to see what the grain looked like and it looks pretty good, with a tight pattern. 

thanks guys.

Buck

Bust it open and lets look at it....
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Ianab

While the species of wood may not be anything special, the fact that it's sat in a river for 100 years makes makes it "special" to the right buyer. Like an instant antique as it were.

So you need to sell the wood based on that, so document were it came from, how it was recovered and processed. That gives it some history. Then just saw it up and make a coffee table, book case case whatever from it.  The wood probably has all sorts of interesting staining going on inside, which adds interest to the wood.

But the value is the 100 years it spent in the river, so make sure you document that to go with the wood or furniture.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Brad_bb

That moron Jimmy on Axmen got in big trouble for retrieving river logs without a permit.  Out where they lived, the state (DNR) had control of anything in the river.  Make sure you're not breaking any laws.  Of course we'd all like to see your log opened up...
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

clww

I'm thinking the same thing that Brad wrote, too. Check those local and state laws would be my advice. Who brought the log to you? It's going to have some nice looking grain.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Also try to leave the axe cut if you can. Some people like to see that for the judgment of the age of the log.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

A bookcase would be very nice.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bandmiller2

Mark is just removing snags from the river.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sandhills

Yep, you gotta get rid of those snags.

redbeard

Keep your camera handy, colors will disappear quickly when oxygen hits it. Hemlock can be really nice especially tight grained if it was a slow grower and the pith is centered on both ends it might be a good canidate for quarter sawing. Our western Hemlock makes nice window wraps and moldings.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Chris Burchfield

Buck beat me to it and I had a good laugh  :D :D :D.  We do want pics when you do "bust it open."
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Buck

Yep, same phrase applies to watermelons ;D. Oh wait a minute, that's food isn't it.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

downeastmark

downeastmark

Buck

thecfarm

Seems odd to see a sawmill and lobster traps in the same picture. What kind of mill is that? Good luck with the lumber. Any buyers yet? I would think it would be worth some money.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

downeastmark

ha ha, i didn't really think about the lobster traps in the background.  the mill is a timberking TK 2000.  thanks for checking out my post.

redbeard

Those boards look great plus they have some history to go with them. Makes them worth more.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Thank You Sponsors!