iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need source for Woods tractor-mount stump grinder teeth

Started by Jasperfield, September 08, 2011, 09:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasperfield

I finally found a good, used, tractor-mounted stump grinder. It's a Woods SG100 that uses threaded-shaft teeth, attached with a hex locknut.

Where do I look to find these teeth other than going to a Woods dealer? Woods wants just under $40 / tooth.

T Welsh

Jasperfeild, Google stump grinder teeth and go from there, try to find a site that lists machines and find yours. do your self  one better and sharpen you own teeth, they are carbide tipped and you get a green wheel and put it on a bench grinder and sharpen back as close to original profile as possible. (wear at least a dust mask and glasses) nasty stuff. we have 2 grinders and buying new teeth is expensive. Tim

liveoak70

How do you like that stump grinder? Thinking of purchasing the same model myself.

Jasperfield

I really like it. Also, I found a good source of new Sandvic teeth, from discountstumpcutters.com, for $7.35 each as opposed to $40 from Woods dealers.

It's pretty well balanced and spins at about 890 rpm. And, it'll really cut. With the stabilizer legs on the ground the vibration back to the tractor is minimal for heavy machine (mounted to a heavy tractor).

I'm well pleased.

T Welsh

Good to hear! some times the 3 pt hitch implements are a spin off of a different machine and when adapted over dont work as intended. Tim

Piston

Sounds like you found a great place for replacement teeth.

What kind of stumps are you grinding?  How big are they?  How far below the surface will it grind? 

Do you have hydraulics on the back of your tractor to move the grinder back/forth and side to side? 

Are the stumps freshly cut or been sitting a while?  Are you happy with the performance?

Sorry for so many questions but I as you can tell I'm interested.  ;D 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Jasperfield

The stumps are locust, cherry, beech, poplar, etc., and range from 6" up to 28", or so. For some of the older locust stumps it's necessary to go slower and not take a large bite. Otherwise, there's not a significant difference between existing and new stumps.

The grinder is PTO driven, with hydraulic vertical and horizontal positioning, and cuts right-to left as viewed from the tractor. The tractor has two sets of hydraulic remotes. The grinder will drop about 12" below the surface. I'm quite pleased with it.

Tractor-mounted mobility makes it easy to use.

Meadows Miller

Gday

What size do you have it sounds like its doing a great job for you and whats one of those Woods grinders worth roughly new  Mate ??

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Piston

Jasper that sounds pretty impressive and I've read some good things on the woods pto grinders on other sites as well. 

I imagine the mobility on the tractor is so much more convenient than a standalone unit.   8)

I'm also interested in what size tractor you have it on (PTO hp)  ;D

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Jasperfield

It's an SG100, 1020 lbs., 34" wheel diameter, 895 rpm wheel speed, 55 deg' cutting arc, hp required is 35-100, 25 carbide steel teeth, max' stump height is 24", max' cutting depth is 12".

I'm not sure how much a new machine costs, but I'd speculate somewhere around $6K.

I use it on a 95 hp tractor.

Thank You Sponsors!