iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Only because everyone loves ugly!

Started by drobertson, November 11, 2014, 06:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coalsmok

I milled up some like this last weekend.  My cousin (distant) had moved them with him for almost 20 years :o.  He got some nice 7" and 4" lumber out of the six posts and I got a wack of nice 10" walnut for the time. ;D.  Should have seen his eyes when I told him I had some 10" or so cedar stored up for a chest.

Gideon_70

Quote from: drobertson on November 11, 2014, 06:39:35 PM
I've had these for a spell, actually they were in the cull pile. Well, a little while back the owner asked, " anyway to get anything out of them?"  I said if I get caught up I will give them a go, it will be a resaw job for sure, the small ends are terribly small, the logs have extreme taper, with all the nubs we have grown to love :D.  tomorrow should be an interesting day,  pray for my best imagination on how to get it done please,,

Oh, I would LOVE a batch like that! 

See, I wouldn't look at them as potential lumber.  I would see them as interesting benches and cut them in half... as coat racks, by halving them and cutting to lengths and then spraying on some varnish...  If I cut them close to the edge so that I have a live edge and center wood, they would make great ourdoor tables. 

just off the top of my head (and no sawyer jokes there, folks, lol)
You cannot reduce crime by disarming the victims!

Peter Drouin

I have some [ small stuff]  :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Cedarman

Peter, I think snow is a 4 letter word.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

reswire

I have a good friend who owns a craft store near Fredericksburg.  His wife will always ask for "rounds", some people call them "cookies", to place on coffee tables that she refinishes.  They take old coffee tables and glue the rounds to the top, then apply a thick coat of poly over them.  Never seen one finished, but I'm told they look good ???  Just an idea on what to do with small scraggly stuff.   
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

yukon cornelius

Those are the same kind of cedars I made porch spindle boards out of. lots of knots, lots of taper.  I clamp them just under half, cut 1 inchers down to half of the log, flip whats left and slice them that half into one inchers. i left live edge on both sides.

They sold well.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

drobertson

Pretty stuff there Larry, cedar is just plain flat nice to look at when finished.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!