iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Meat stick

Started by Kasba, October 21, 2015, 05:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kasba

I asked this before but does anyone have a good meat/pepperoni stick recipe?
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

beenthere

Thinking @petefrom bearswamp was going to look one up for you. Did you get it?

What is it that makes it "pepperoni" ?  Pepper, I presume, but something else? 

I have landjaegers made from venison at the local sausage shop, but don't have their recipe.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kasba

Where I live if you go to the local butcher they it call it pepperoni but all the manufactures of seasoning kits call them meat sticks. The meat is stuffed in a 3/4" collagen casing.
Timbery M285 25hp, Husqvarna 570 auto tune, Alaskan sawmill, Nova 1624 wood lathe, Dogo Argentino

beenthere

I can see where there could be confusion.
The internet definition of pepperoni is close to what I know it, made from cured pork and beef.. and is a reddish color and similar to salami. Sliced thin for pizza topping.. (and I avoid it as a pizza topping or pick it off  ;D )
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepperoni

The landjaeger I get is more like a dried, smoked sausage stick about 5/8' diam although some processors squeeze them out in a more flat shape.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landj%C3%A4ger
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

petefrom bearswamp

I did post my recipe a few years ago.
1-1/2 lbs ground venison or other meat.
1-1/2 tsp Tender quick curing salt, this is a mortons product available in some groc stores.
1TBSP Fennel seed
1 TBSP crushed red pepper
1tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp chili powder.
mix ingredients well roll into 2" sticks about 4-6" long (mine come out like dog t---ds)
leave uncovered in fridge for 24 hrs.
Bake on broiler pan 300 degrees  for 45 mins to  1 hr.
turn once or twice.
I have stuffed into casing instead of hand rolling, and altho this makes a better appearance, this is an unnecessary step IMO.
It keeps pretty well in fridge for a couple of weeks or more.
Pete

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

Have you tried making a bunch more and freezing them? If so, how well do they tolerate the freezing.

We've been processing our deer so far this year into cubed steaks and sausage but I have about enough of them and was thinking of trying some bologna or such. The meat stick looks like a good option if they freeze well.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

They freeze very well.. Had over 150 # of landjaegers and ring bologna made up from last years deer, and have enjoyed them ever since (from the freezer after they thaw out).  The sausage maker will vacuum pack 7-8 sticks to a package, as well as vacuum the bologna.
south central Wisconsin

Kasba

Beenthere do you have a recipe for your landjaeger's? Thanks Pete I will give your recipe a try I just need to find where I can buy the cure.

beenthere

QuoteI have landjaegers made from venison at the local sausage shop, but don't have their recipe.

Reply #1

Sorry.. but know they've been making them for the 50 years I've been in this area.
south central Wisconsin

petefrom bearswamp

I buy Mortons tender quick at Wegmans here in central NY
I found it by googling 
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!