iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who's Makin Wooden Gifts ???

Started by fstedy, December 05, 2004, 11:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minnesota_boy

That's really nice, Jeff.  I'll bet it will be super nice when you finish the detail work.  Just think how nice it would look on the dash of a cute little schoolbus I saw in a picture from your visit to Noble's.  You could have a personal museum there with a little work.  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Brian_Bailey

Jeff, your bus is looking really good but I don't see any letters carved in it yet ?

I just cobbled up a present for my wife. She knows what she's getting for christmas because she had picked out her present and was there when I had bought it. Cept she doesn't know about this one  ;D.

Every time we see this group "Riders in the Sky" on the tely, we always say we have to get one of their CD's because we like their style of music.
Well I ordered their 25th anniv. CD and me being the way I am, I just couldn't wrap it in paper and leave it under the tree for her.

So I took a piece of 5/4 wormy butternut and made a little box to put the CD in. I then can wrap it up so it doesn't look like a CD. Afterwards she has a nice little box that can be used for trinkets and such  :).

Have a Merry Christmas Everyone!!

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

ElectricAl

This summer a real slick HackBerry Butt log accidentally came in on a load of Walnut. Needless to say that lumber did not ship over seas ;D

Linda has been asking for a small kitchen work station.

Well here it is, right on time.

And just like Brian did, I added a little something to the Christmas box.

The work station is 24" x 36" and 35" high.
Both sides have double doors with flat panels.
Tucked under the skirts are 3" ball bearing wheels, two swivel.
With only an 1/8" clearance, it reminds me of an early 50's Mercury Hot Rod that had been "slammed" real low.

Lots of nice wood projects everyone

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Jeff

Here ya go Brian, started carving some words. What a task! I feel like I'm playing the old "Operation" game. One wrong touch and yer done. Only have to do a stop on the drivers side and "School Bus" at least four times.

Great stuff everybody!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brian_Bailey

Hey Jeff,  that's what they make crazy glue for  :D :D. Works for me, oops, I shouldn't of said that  :-X :)

Electric Al,  I've never seen anything made out of hackberry. Nice job and I like your selection of kitchen tools too.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

sprucebunny

Great bus ,Jeff. It must be frustrating working one-armed.
Careful the bus don't hit those lubricant cans in front of it  ;D

Linda's one lucky girl-- handsome furniture and handy tools. :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

isawlogs

Nice work guys , really nice work ... Jeff you going to put some grease fitings in there for her , so's she can feel rite at home with it ...  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Ianab

I made one of these for Lil's sister for Christmas. Not sure if it's a blanket chest or a computer seat or a coffee table.... depends where she puts it.
The special part is we took it from the tree through to the finished chest.  :D

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Patty

Very nice, you guys. The talent shown on this forum is amazing to me!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

shopteacher

For the past three years I've carved a Santa for my Mom and here's this years.

The Toys for Tot's project went pretty well also. We got 14 handcars and 12 Rocking horses done this year. The marines picked them up the day before school let out for Christmas.

Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

beenthere

Shopteacher
That work is really impressive. You and your students are to be commended for a job well done.

I read in the WoodShop News a short while ago that the woodworking industry is feeling the effects of schools eliminating shop programs. There are now fewer interested in moving into this area for a career, as their interest isn't tweaked by a good shop class that will show them what woodworking is like to them.

Keep up the good work.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Did a little carving today and at least got Tammy's wheels round. ;D  I included a picture on how I am leaving the bottom to try to protect the wheels for the long haul. Leaving some beef behind each wheel, and the center is actually where the bus sits with the wheels just a fraction above the sitting surface. I figured this way, if it ever gets sat down hard, the wheels should survive?

Wish I hade a checkering tool for the grill. Any idea what one costs?

Bro. Noble

I'll see if I can find my checkering tools.  If so,  I'll get them in the mail.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Furby

Shopteacher,
I was wondering if it would be possible for me to get my hands on a set of plans for the handcars???
My sister can't ride a bike and would love one, I'm sure.

shopteacher

Furby,
   There are no plans per say. I could print out the drawings we developed in class when I get back to school Jan. 3.  We cut all the parts for the horses & handcars on a CNC machine. I developed this project from a picture of one of these in a magazine and direct the cutting and assembly. We do have some extra parts left over from this years run and would ship them to you.  These were designed for younger children, although the 16 and 17 year old students are always trying to ride them.

Jeff,
   Your carving is looking real good there. I'm sure it will be prized when completed.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Bro. Noble

Jeff,

I found the checkering tools.  There are ones for one,  two,  and three lines.  I havn't toutched them in 35 years,  but maybe they will still work :)

Better send me your address in case I can't find it.  I'll put them in the mail tomorrow. ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Furby

Shopteacher,
A set of drawings would be great if you have the time.
I think I could figure things out and maybe change the scale just a bit if needed.
The sister I'm talking about is only, um.......
DanG it, gonna have to ask on this one, but I think she's 8. She is very short and has a disability that leaves her unable to pedal a bike. She has a small hand driven tricycle, but she only has her right arm, so it takes her a bit of effort to turn the crank over.

Jeff

I thought I would bring this topic back up. I was sitting here looking at the Bus I carved for Tammy thinking it must have been over 5 years since this topic. So I did a search. Wow! It was 12 years!  Any of you guys making wooden presents this year?

Larry

I've been working on a platter.  In the picture I just splashed some mineral spirits on it to see how it will look when complete.  Its from an air dried slab and a little high in MC, so its sitting in the shop near the wood stove before I shoot it with lacquer.

Doing some stocking stuffer's now.  4" ladies hand mirrors and screwdriver sets for the boys.  I'm hoping USPS gets the screwdriver parts to me in time.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

caveman

Santa's Little Sweat Shop opens again in the morning at 7.  I am certain to be greeted by enthusiastic elves.  They will be cutting out toy cars, measuring and cutting dowels for axles and gluing wheels to them.  They have about 300 to make for a neighboring elementary school's first graders and kindergarteners. 
Caveman

Andries

Larry, that platter is beautiful!
What wood is that?
. . . and how did you inlay the bow tie and banana shaped white colored wood?
The elves are busy here too. Raised planters for my three gals.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Rural

I have been making wooden gifts for family members for some years now, started out as little things, a scroll work pendant, a simple pencil box etc and has morphed into more complex things as my skills gradual evolved. A table top writing box, a jewelry box, a folding step stool etc etc, the danger in presenting such things to ones daughter and grandaughter is that it leads to "Dad can you........" or "Grandad I would like......" LOL
Thus in recent years its been a Captains Bed a 3 section bookcase, a screen door with scroll work corners and so on. I will see if I can find some pics of some of my efforts but in the meanwhile here is a link to my daughters commentary on what was the most challenging of those Dad can you requests......
https://creativescrapbooker.ca/blogs/where-you-create-with-mary-jane-rawls/

Larry

Quote from: Andries on December 07, 2016, 10:11:16 AM
Larry, that platter is beautiful!
What wood is that?
. . . and how did you inlay the bow tie and banana shaped white colored wood?
The elves are busy here too. Raised planters for my three gals.

Its crotch walnut.  Inlays were router work along with a little bit of chisel work.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

WLC

That is a BEAUTIFUL platter!!!  What lathe do you use?
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Larry

Its a 20" General, one of the last out of the Canadian factory before it was shut down.  I feel lucky in giving it a good home with plenty of wood to chew on.

Thank You Sponsors!