iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roll top desk

Started by SwampDonkey, February 03, 2004, 05:19:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Has anyone tackled a large project like a roll top desk? I want to make one from blackcherry, butternut and white ash. I was wondering how to make the roll top part. I was thinking of using some type of hinged joint for the slats and use a curved track of some kind if they exist. But I suppose the track could be make from wood itself. I've got a scaled sketch of the top of the desk showing the drawers, and pigeon holes and slots I want inside. Its not clear enough to post here because my quick hen scrath writing in barely ledgible. I been want ting make one of these for a couple years now, they are way over priced in the furniture catelogs, since they are only wood veneers. It sure is awefull the price of plywood with 1/32 of an inch of actual hardwood veneer. The rest is poplar, you can smell it when you cut it. It has a distinct sour odor.

sheesh  :-/

Knuckle joint with brass hinge pin

regards
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

East_West_Dan

Fine Woodworking magazine has published some articles over the years. Your local library might have them. Also I think you can get plans from the Rockler or Woodworkers Supply catalogs.

Frank_Pender

I have heard of a fabric being used for the roll cover.  What is said is that, the slats are attatched to the fabric and it acts as the hinge.   I have seen some plans in various woodworking mags.  Perhaps that is your best source. :P
Frank Pender

SwampDonkey

@ Frank

I have thought of using some recessed leather straping on the under side and using rollers attached to the ends of the slats and fitted to a routered track on each side pannel of the desk. This would allow the rolltop to glide smoothly and keep the slats from bunching up and binding in the track.  To make the rollers all you need to do is install dowels on the ends of the slats  and place a metal or plastic sleeve over the dowel.

"How do ya like them apples?" Jack Nicholson

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

shopteacher

SD: That piece is called tambour, the part that actually rolls up and over to the back of the desk.  Originally it was canvas with the semi-circular wood slats glued onto the front of it.  I maybe able to find you a set of plans if you can give me a couple days to look through my library.  I think I remember seeing a desk in one of my books and if so I could photocopy you a set from it.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

SwampDonkey

@ shop treacher

Thanks that would be nice indead. Another lad just pointed me to a web page selling the tambour door bits. And I have the professional craftmen router table with 2 HP Makita shaper mounted underneath to run these slats through. I'll likely use butternut as its not as hard a wood and quite light. If I try to run white ash or cherry through my shaper with 1/2 shank bits its gonna snap them bits off like ice cycles hehehe. The key there might be to shave a little at a time. I hope my butternut doesn't splinter much on the ends, hard stuff to work with. Way around the end splintering is to make extra long pieces I 'spose.

Thanks to all posting to this thread

SwampDonkey

Hey teach

Here's some nice plans for that role top :)

http://www.vandykes.com/product/02002131/

I like the panel work, looks like a solid bruit.

chers

ADfields

SwampDonkey, I cant get your link to work. :-/

The 100 year old desk I had in Arizona and lost to my house fire :'( was backed with leather.   I had to replace the leather so I got a very good look at how it was made.   The slats had a profile like log siding that you see on cheep trailer houses some times just smaller.

The ends were just cut off and just slid in a hand cut dado(sp?) in the sides that was well sanded and waxed very smooth.   I do like your plastic sleeve concept for the ends.   The leather was a full sheet of oil tan about 3-4 ounce thick that each slat was glued (I use Barge red label glue) and tacked to like I showed.   A good heavy nylon or other new fangled cloth we have today may be better then the leather, the leather will dry out and fall apart in about 80 years if you cant keep neats foot oil on it some how.    It also had counter wights like a window sash in the back.   It was much less complex then I was thinking it would be before I took it apart.   I loved that desk, it was my Grandpa's and was one of the things I most miss from my house fire! :'(   Keep us informed on what you come up with as I am planning to also build one some way off day.
Andy

SwampDonkey

Hi Andy

I edited my previous post, you can try it now with success. The plans are a purchase item from the site. I like the picture of it. The plans are blueprints which I like better than photos because in photos you have no scale or dimensional details :) You can also use a wire kit for the tambour door that someone pointed out to me on this site along with the tambour bits:

http://www.eagle-america.com/html/catalog/productGroup.asp?id=314145

enjoy

ADfields

I like that but $100 for the set is on the high side for 2 bits.   I wonder if you could grind a set of knifes for a molding head to that profile.
Andy

SwampDonkey

;D ;D I have to justifiy having this shaper some way  ;D  ;D

No that's not over inflated pricing for 1/2" shank bits. They'de be about $85.00 - $110.00 in Canada each. I can buy bits way cheaper south of the 49th ;)

Thank You Sponsors!