iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody Making Battens for sale?

Started by WV Sawmiller, August 07, 2018, 03:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I had a lady at a Primitive store where I had some benches on consignment order some rough 1X12's from me then she asked me about making some thin 2" wide strips like old plaster laths for some craft project she makes. She said she was considering making them on a table saw from 2X4's. I told her I could make something along those lines.

I got an order from a repeat customer for a few 8' poplar 2X4s so yesterday between thunderstorms I cut a scrappy tree and got 2 small logs then cut them into 19 - 2X4's and 2 -1X6's. On the 2" flitches less than 8" between the bark that would not make 2-2X4s and on 4" cants to get to my mark I set my SimpleSet to 1/2" which left nice 2" or 4" wide 3/8" strips. I split the 4" pieces in half. When I finished I had 3 dozen 2" X 3/8" X 8' strips for the lady. My customer came this morning to get his 2X4s for a shed he is building and saw the strips and asked about then for battens. I told him I could make all he wanted and off the cuff I told him 50 cents each. I may have to rethink that for future sales but we will see. It is more labor than wood cost. Would be real easy to mass produce standing a gang of 2X12's on edge. Takes more time but sure does not leave much wood for the scrap pile. I may try setting a few more aside in such cases. I stickered these just like 4/4 lumber with a row or two of other wood on top for weight. They should air dry really quick.

Do any of you make such ahead of time and if so how do they sell? What kind of prices do you get for them?

I know 2" is a little narrow for battens but some people may want that. We will see.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

paul case

We make a lot of 3.5x1.25 for pallet parts. I would not cut any board for less than what they cost and that is $1.60 each. One company we supply buys about 1200 a month and another would buy all we can make but I dont ever seem to have enough to sell them some. 

I think the last battens we sawed were 7/8x3.5.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

petefrom bearswamp

I keep 4/4x3" battens in stock in 8 10 12 14 and 16' lengths.
I make these from side lumber when I have enough 6" and 8" boards and from shaky hemlock.
I charge .15 per lineal foot for these.
They sell pretty well.
I have no experience with thinner stuff.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

caudlefarm

1997 cook ac36 sawmill. 96 lull 644b-37. 1995 international 4700. 1999 873F bobcat. 2 MS880 stihl. 2 064 stihl. MS261 stihl chainsaws

WV Sawmiller

I was wondering the same thing since the most common pallet I am familiar with is 40" X 48".
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Peter Drouin

I don't cut them. Most times the customer wants them in one piece. With a 1" or more knot, the thing will fall apart.
I need a good log for good batts.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

paul case

8'.
The one company cuts them to 48'' for stringers. The other company uses all sorts of lengths of them to make framing around fiberglass truck hoods and engines and other parts.
They are the same as 4/4.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WV Sawmiller

Sounded a little high but actually looks to be about $.55/bf so pretty reasonable especially if cutting them at 5/4 as I read it.
Howard Green

Oliver05262

Popular size around "here" is 3/4" X 2 1/4". Wacky size I know, but they do a good job of covering the cracks between the boards, and don't stick out too much, or create too much of a shadow.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Thank You Sponsors!