iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ms660 question

Started by Firewoodking, May 05, 2013, 01:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodking

I just got me a ms660, they shop had to order it in.  I got it with the 36" bar but I plan to buy an additional 25" bar and chain just for more versatility when the 36" is not needed.
My question is this. When looking at the stihl catalog, I see that they have tons of different chains. Which one is best for me? I mostly cut large oak for firewood.

Also, if I install the dual port muffler, does the saw need to be re-tuned or is it just a simple remove and replace?
Firewoodking

sawguy21

I assume you are using 3/8 pitch, would suggest 33RSF skip tooth with the longer bar. It does a better job clearing the chips. You can use it or 33RS with the 25", the full comp might be a little faster. Keep 'em sharp, oak is nasty to work with. Stinks when being cut. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

An 066/660 will burn right through oak with full comp with a 36" .That is unless California oak is different than Ohio oak .

We make a big deal out of oak because short of the west coast it's about the largest trees we have but it really doesn't cut that bad .Of course you have to keep the chain sharp naturally .

Firewoodking

Cool, thanks.

What about the dual port muffler ?
Firewoodking

Ianab

If you change the muffler the carb will probably need adjusting again to suit. Usually just the H jet. The dual port muffler will allow more flow though the whole engine, so the carb might need tweaking to match.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ladylake

Learn how to adjust a carb, it's not hard and may well save you burning up a lean saw.  steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

From what I see compairing an older style 066 muffler to a new 660 muffler is they really down sized the exit hole .From running both the old has a leg up on the new .So a dual port is probabley a good idea .

Now being a new saw I'd be a tad hesitant doing anything until the warentee runs out  unless they honor the dual port as being valid .Kind of a pricey saw to cut firwood with if that's the intent .

JohnG28

If you buy the part at the dealer and have them install and tune the warranty should stay valid. I would make sure first but think you'd be OK.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

s grinder

That's one big heavy saw for cutting firewood,i know your a young man,are you going to the gym?Good for stump cutting.

Firewoodking

I have a medium size saw and now I have my large saw. I still need to get my small saw for jeeping and some in tree work. I am looking at the 201t for that.

I have found it necessary to have more than one saw when felling various size trees. I have had my eye on a real big tree and now that I have my 660 I can harvest it.

Score
Firewoodking

Ianab

A saw like that would be pretty common for serious firewood cutting around here. Breaking up a big log into rounds will give a saw a good workout, more so than felling and limbing as you will be full throttle in cuts for longer periods of time. The weight isn't such an issue, you just sit it on log and let it do it's thing.  :D

Buddy uses a husky 3120 as a firewood saw sometimes, with a 5ft bar. If you think that's excessive, he's still had to cut logs from both sides to reach all the way through  :o

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Firewoodking

I try not to use my long bar when not need because its a pain is the a$$ to sharpen all them teeth!
Firewoodking

Okrafarmer

I'm hoping to go look at a used 660 tomorrow. The guy has recently had it overhauled, I think he said, and tuned, but it only has a 20" bar on it. He wants $500. I think if I get it I'll  put a 28" bar on it.

Edit: my bad, it is an 066.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

deerslayer

Quote from: Okrafarmer on June 06, 2013, 11:47:31 PM
I'm hoping to go look at a used 660 tomorrow. The guy has recently had it overhauled, I think he said, and tuned, but it only has a 20" bar on it. He wants $500. I think if I get it I'll  put a 28" bar on it.

Edit: my bad, it is an 066.

Well, that was weird, I thought I replied to this thread but it showed up in the 660/880 thread. Must have bumped a key inadvertently. Anyway, see my comments on the 066 there.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Firewoodking on May 05, 2013, 01:07:46 PM
I just got me a ms660, they shop had to order it in.  I got it with the 36" bar but I plan to buy an additional 25" bar and chain just for more versatility when the 36" is not needed.
My question is this. When looking at the stihl catalog, I see that they have tons of different chains. Which one is best for me? I mostly cut large oak for firewood.

Also, if I install the dual port muffler, does the saw need to be re-tuned or is it just a simple remove and replace?
The best b/c setup on my 066 Mag with factory dual outlet muffler is a 28". I have two nearly new 36" bars for it [Oregon Pro polished like chrome, tip included], which are hardly  used.
Now listen carefully Firewoodking, forget the fast soft wood cutting chisel sawchain. Try Stihl's RM semi-chisel or Oregon's DP or AP semi chisel. The semi chisel cutting edge will long surpass the chisel's edge holding capability and you will get more firewood cut with less time wasted sharpening your chain.  Yes BTW you do have to reset your carb with a richer setting after replacing the single outlet muffler with a dual. ;)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

You probabley have a valid point on old dead standing firewood trees  .Especially if they've fallen over or got dragged through the dirt .

Now myself I'd have to hunt for a loop of semi chisel because I don't have many .These old standing dead EAB ash are hard as a rock so it's file time every tank full .Round chisel it's not a big deal about 5 minutes on a twenty inch loop .If it were west coast square ground that for me would be half an hour .That stuff is a pain in the butt .

Thank You Sponsors!