iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Marketing of SYP that doesn't Meet Grade Requirements

Started by nsmike, January 28, 2009, 04:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsmike

How is SYP that doesn't meet grade requirements used? I talked to my BIL about why my Uncle talks bad about Loblolly and found that shortly after moving from NC to SC, the company he worked for, cut a large stand of Loblolly that didn't make density grade for structural uses. They ended up going to three mills before they could off load the logs. He hasn't had a good thing to say about Loblolly since. The pulp mills tend to be set up for smaller bolts from thinning operations so how are they utilized when they get to large saw log size.
Mike

Tom

If you are going to market it yourself, the product is  (treated).  Make 4x4's and 6x6's out of it for fence, or whatever.  Also saw 1x6x16 or 1x8x16 for fence boards.  Shorter ones for decking boards for decks, if they aren't too knotty.

If untreated, they make great wall coverings for Board and Batten outside walls and butted or Tongue and Grooove for indoor paneling.  Wide grain, and knots, looks good in some rustic cabinetry and furniture. :)

nsmike

Thanks Tom I guessed at the apperance grade market but wondered if it was big enough.  I completely frogot about the treated market. I would think that plywood and osb would also be possible but both require that your close enough to a plant.
Mike

Dodgy Loner

Plywood and OSB mills can be pretty persnickety about the quality of the pines as well, depending on what they're manufacturing.  It's difficult to meet the stiffness requirements for subflooring if your wood isn't stiff to begin with.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!