iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone building a swingblade mill ?

Started by plantman, October 29, 2017, 05:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plantman

I've been looking at these swingblade sawmills but they're kind of pricey. I was just wondering if anyone is building one themselves .

Kbeitz

You better have a machine shop... Just a welder and a hammer wont do..
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

plantman

There was a video on youtube of a Aussie guy who built one in his garage. He did have a small amount of machine work done and bought a right angle gear box as well. Looked pretty good.

bandmiller2

There was a fella here "Dangerous Dan" I think it was that built an impressive swinger. Check the history. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

I often considered building a swinger but my old mind just can't wrap around the geometry of the swing. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

TKehl

I don't think it would be too hard to build one.  Building one that is as portable and easy to set up would be harder.

What size are you thinking?
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

longtime lurker

I've considered it. I've got a wish list of perfectly achievable design features that none of the established manufacturers do - they build portable mills and I want a heavyweight fixed installation that'll chew its way through a lot of log a day.

Its not impossible though in all honesty if you want it portable why rebuild the wheel? They arent that pricey relative to what they can produce in a month.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

sawmilljoe

I have built one but will never run one here . Was milling 3rd log and hit a nail with the blade horizontally. Metal flew everywhere just missed me and went into the log support beside me. Switched to a bandsaw. But they are easy to build.

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

plantman

Thank You Sponsors!