iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

548 G111 trouble

Started by OH logger, November 25, 2013, 07:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH logger

went to work today to skid logs. I changed fuel filters in the skidder Saturday got the air out and let it run a while. today let it warm up 40 minutes after I got it out of the 40 degree barn. pulled logs for half hour and it just died. don't think at all there was any air in the lines. checked all fuses, turned on and off master switch for the heck of it and re bled the fuel system (no air bubbles at all.) still not running . no codes at all. it is a  2007 deere 548G111. I had this trouble 1 other time . it was the solenoid on the injector pump maybe the same now. deere is coming hopefully tomorrow. any ideas on what to try before I give them my firstborn to just come and look at it >:( kinda pricy!
thanks john
john

treeslayer2003

i'm not familier with a machine that new but could ya try run a hot wire from batt to pump? idk if it mess with yer computer tho.

OH logger

that's what we did last time and fried the pump. that was good for $3500 :(  thanks anyways. it is a 2007 model by the way. *DanG electronics
john

kiko

Check the grommets on the supply side between lift pump and filter housings. An electrical problem should code. Also check fuel supply line the comes around the back of the engine to injection pump for rub at bracket under exhaust manifold bolt. Check o ring on black cap on top of filter housing. Check line to tank damaged or restriction.

OH logger

john

thompsontimber

We had a freak issue on a 06 748GIII that was similar to what you are describing.  It didn't shut off, but instead was running fine when it was parked and wouldn't fire up the next day.  Acted like it wasn't getting fuel, but it hadn't ran out and still had plenty.  had fuel at injectors, and had fire in and out at the pump.  After wrestling with it half a day with no luck, ended up getting the JD service man out.  We had been winding on it all morning with no success.  He showed up around 1 and starting cranking on the starter. Lo and behold, after a period of seemingly far excessive winding, it fired up.  He explained that it has some sort of slave cylinder that can stick prior to the pump and allow the fuel pressure to bleed off.  Once it built enough pressure, it ran fine.  Have had the issue crop up again once after that and just wound her till she fired.  Not sure if your solution will have such a lucky resolution, but might be worth a shot.  To have the JD man wind it for us only cost about $750!!  As you have already learned, don't "jump" it and fry those fancy electronics.  We were contemplating that move but were advised it was a quick and easy way to fry the computer.

OH logger

I did get her goin today before the JD guy got there thank God!  maybe we had the same thing. I plugged the block heater into the generator and put the battery charger on it to help. and lo and behold it started after a wwhile . the only thing I really did is after it "tried"to fire and wouldn't start I let it sit and before trying again I pumped the hand fuel pump 20 or so times let the battery charger work and it started. probly was nothing I did right but I still felt like super man .. thanks for all the help!
john

thompsontimber

Glad you got it going without the expensive service call!  Even when the problem and the fix don't make a lot of sense, it feels pretty sweet to accomplish the "fix" and especially when it doesn't get deep in your pocket in the process. Its a fitting time to feel like a super man

CX3

My 648 was spraying hydraulic fluid by the gallons yesterday. I pulled panels and belly pans and looked for leaks for 5 hours by myself. I finally just said God your gonna have to show me this leak cause I can't find it on my own. I went and ate lunch then back to shop. In 10 minutes I tightened up a 1-3/8" nut to solve the problem. Felt good let me tell ya. I know how you feel.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Kemper

I pray a lot in the woods also.

Quote from: CX3 on November 28, 2013, 08:23:49 PM
My 648 was spraying hydraulic fluid by the gallons yesterday. I pulled panels and belly pans and looked for leaks for 5 hours by myself. I finally just said God your gonna have to show me this leak cause I can't find it on my own. I went and ate lunch then back to shop. In 10 minutes I tightened up a 1-3/8" nut to solve the problem. Felt good let me tell ya. I know how you feel.

Thank You Sponsors!