iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need small wood stove recommendation

Started by Brad_bb, December 06, 2015, 03:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

We're raising a timberframe in January!  I'm going to have a 12x24 temporary tent on site for warming and eating lunch.   Building the tent from the timber covers we have on site(2x4 construction) that are covered in titanium roof covering.  I have a lot of chopped firewood on site already so I was thinking of a wood stove.  I was researching this morning and with the number of small stoves it's daunting to try and figure out what one is quality, will draft properly and not leave us getting smokey in the tent, and one that we won't have to constantly feed.  We'll use it from sun up to sun down for 3 weeks and then probably in Feb for the roof crew for another 3 weeks.  I see there are camping style ones that look like a horizontal barrel and cast iron ones mean for more permanent use.  One thought was that a good cast iron one might work better and I might install in the building after the raising.  I was looking at the Vermont Castings Aspen 1920, but read some reviews that the fron draft tubes get clogged with ash and suffers performance.  Any help appreciated.

One other option is to use my perfection Kerosene heater with a catalytic converter screen on it.  This greatly reduces carbon monoxide, but you'd probably still end up with a little kero odor as it would not be exhausted.  We'd just have to leave enough draft in the tent.  It would be a shame as I have so much split firewood on the site.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

47sawdust

I would get the cheapest,medium size stove I could find.Even a barrel stove for that matter.Something with a flat surface would be nice for warming up lunch.If there are any Fisher stoves in your area they are a good stove.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

beenthere

IMO, skip the thought of a kerosene heater.. unless you all want to smell like kerosene and it's smoke.

Look at CL as there are a good variety of parlor or cabin space-type wood stoves. And for your short time period, you won't have to worry much at all about their longevity. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Vermont Castings makes some very good stoves. Hearthstone is another good brand (I own their Phoenix model). Woodstock Soapstone is one of the best: clean burning & efficient. However, their smallest models are larger than the Aspen you are considering.  How many square feet is your timberframe going to be, and what are you doing for insulation?

Personally, I'd go for a barrel stove or something cheap you pick up used for your tent. Your heating needs are likely to be very different for that than for your finished building.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

rasman57

I have done the kerosene heater and would not recommend it unless it is your only choice for staying warm.  Even vented, headaches and odor are unpleasant.   

Sounds like you have a well thought out plan for your raising and a wood stove will add to the "warmth" of your gathering space.   You will be surprised how many folks will be happy you have it while they are helping.  Nothing like a warm stove to stand around when you need to get out of the icy wind.    Good Luck! 

Brad_bb

If I reuse a better stove it would be just to heat one good sized room, not the whole timber frame.

47sawdust

As for a household stove,I would highly recommend a Hearthstone product.We heat with wood only.We have a Hearthstone Mansfield and a Waterford Stanley kitchen stove.Both are the best I've used in 40 years of heating with wood.The comfort level of the soapstone is hard to believe.Make plans for an outside air intake for the stove,my Mansfield has a dedicated 3" air intake that keeps the glass door clean and helps the stove perform better.As with any stove ,dry wood is absolutely best
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

pineywoods

It's hard to beat a barrel stove for short term applications. Put a layer of sand in the bottom, and they will last a long time. Fairly easy to make your own, or kits are readily available for not much money. The 2 barrel version is a lot more efficient..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

gspren

I saw a barrel stove made vertical for a shop that was nice, you could cook on the top. If you have a welder you can do one quick and cheap, before you use it in the tent fire it hot outside to burn off the paint.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Peter Drouin

Quote from: pineywoods on December 07, 2015, 09:21:04 AM
It's hard to beat a barrel stove for short term applications. Put a layer of sand in the bottom, and they will last a long time. Fairly easy to make your own, or kits are readily available for not much money. The 2 barrel version is a lot more efficient..

Yes, they are. This one is 20 years old with no sand in it. Just wood ash :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

John Mc

Opinions on the advisability of providing outside air to a wood stove are far from unanimous. If not properly installed, it can cause real problems - a lot of these are when the inlet is put in an area exposed to winds. The wind can cause a negative pressure.

I had a dedicated air supply put in when I built my house (which is very tightly built). I ended up not using it.  However, I do have a heat recovery ventilation system, so I get plenty of air exchange in the house.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

rjwoelk

Not sure if ypu can get them down there I got a pacific and a regency , but for our outfitters tent we have a outfiters barrel stove, it will cook you out if you load it up.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

47sawdust

re-outside air intake,
John Mc raises a good point.As with any installation common sense and professional advice are mandatory.My air supply comes from a protected crawl space under an attached woodshed.
Mick

Brad_bb

Well I haven't found a more permanent one that I'm happy with yet, and given my relatively short timeline, I think I'm going to get a Yukon 5 for the construction tent.  It'll see about 6 or so weeks of use.  Then I can put it aside or sell it.
http://www.walltentshop.com/woodcampingstoves.html

gspren

That looks like it should work well.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

tule peak timber

I have a Woodland 2500 being delivered today- we shall see.
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

tule peak timber

Got it installed just in time for some freezing weather this weekend. 

tule peak timber

Pushed a cord through it so far.Not that impressed for the money.......Rob

rasman57

Quote from: tule peak timber on January 04, 2016, 08:58:31 PM
Pushed a cord through it so far.Not that impressed for the money.......Rob

A cord?  Rob, it can not be that cold in California for a month can it?.  Cords are 4x8x4 foot stack size of splits.     600-700 splits depending on size of the splits.     Face cord I bet you meant unless you have been running that new stove non stop perhaps and it is a lot colder than a midwestern flat-lander like me understands.

At least you get to evaluate through use no matter how much.  It looks like a well built stove.

tule peak timber

We had a high of 38 yesterday..and yes I'm burning around the clock. The area I'm heating has no insulation and only plastic film for windows The windows are special order and a month late. The pic I took pre dawn this morning  shows the stack of oak and olive splits  that feed the stove. I bring seasoned wood in  by the backhoe bucket full.. Brrrrrrrr.....Rob

beenthere

Keep a close eye on that wood wall behind the stove.. if you have a sheet of drywall to lean up against it, then it would be a good heat shield.
Wood can be dried out with that heat, and the flash point lowered quite a bit.

Maybe your clearance is enough tho.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!