iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BARN RAISING in Wisc!!! 6/23/2007

Started by Jim_Rogers, June 06, 2007, 07:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Jim,
Could you post this for me on the forestry forum...I can't seem to get registered there.

Thanks!

Craig Roost
saveabarn@yahoo.com

There is going to be a barn raising starting at 9:00 am, on Sat. June 23, 2007, of a 32ft x 50ft, 1886 timber-framed dairy barn, being erected on the Schuster's Playtime Farm, East of Madison on hwys 12/18 outside of Deerfield WI. It will be raise by hand, with the help of a team of Percheron draft horses!!! This is a FREE event, and the public is invited to watch. For more information on the event, call 608-764-8488. For volunteer info call Craig Roost at 920-728-0353 or email at saveabarn@yahoo.com Thank you!

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

Craig (through Jim)
That sounds like a good excuse for a WI Chapter FF gathering. And sure sounds like a lot of fun to watch. I plan to be there, far as I know now. I gather could use some volunteers?
been(goin)there
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dodgy Loner

All the fun stuff happens in Wisconsin. >:(  I'll just have to initiate my own barn raising down here...one of these days... ;)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Burlkraft

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on June 07, 2007, 12:58:16 AM
All the fun stuff happens in Wisconsin. >:(  I'll just have to initiate my own barn raising down here...one of these days... ;)

That's cuz we're fun guys..... :D :D :D :D

Beenthere....I'll Beeeethere
Why not just 1 pain free day?

stumpy

Hey Gothere, that sound like fun.  I'll plan on it.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Jeff

Jim, I sent Craig an email letting him now that I could register him for the forum.  I see he has a yahoo address. That is what the problem is.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jim_Rogers

Ok, I didn't know why, but he posted this announcement on the TFG site and I suggested he post it here as I knew a lot of people in WI would like to go and watch this happen.
And he asked me over there to post it over here, so I did.
Thanks for contacting him.....

Jim Rogers

beenthere

I sent an email to his yahoo account, but have not received a response.

Might have to unfurl the FF WI Chpt banner while there, and show up with a few FF t-shirts on FF members with the FF hats. 
Now, thinkin on that webcam idea too...... ;D ;D

I don't wanta make this into a big project, but suspect other FF members would like to see what is going on with a barn raisin......I would.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

beenthere:
How far is it from your place?

Jim

beenthere

Jim
Not too far, only 30 miles. I'm West of Madison.

I looked up the Schuster's Playtime Farm site and came up with a brief story about the barn raising.

Click here for a story about the Barn Raising

It confirms that Craig is looking to assemble a volunteer build crew.

(goin)there

south central Wisconsin

beenthere

Just heard from Craig (email).
I will try to call him tomorrow or Monday.

Any others thinking of coming?  How about you, Jim ? 
south central Wisconsin

Rooster

Hey everybody,
This  is Craig.....but y'all can call me "Rooster"...Thanks for getting the word out about the barn raising!!!!  Bring your friends, family, and all those people who YOU think could use a little Old World Influence in their lives!!!  Anyone interested in volunteering for the build should really try to get in touch with me ahead of time, so that I  have an idea of who all is offering to help out.  We will be primarily concentrating on raising the five bents...or as some non-barn folk call "those slices of the barn that look like "H"s"..I hope to have the main timber-frame with top plates and even the pulins, purlin-posts, and diagonals set in one day!!! Whew!

And just like so many other things that I have had the pleasure to be apart of....fate will build this barn....thank you all for your support.

Craig Roost    "Rooster"
920-728-0353
saveabarn@yahoo.com

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

stumpy

If ya mean me, Wasthere, I plan on goin.  I'll let ya know for sure.

Jim_Rogers

beenthere

Stumpy, Burlkraft, and I are planning to be there. Any others?  Bring some work duds, as when I talked to "Rooster" this morning, he could use some good volunteers. Some with horse sense, was my interpretation..... :D

Was hopin to see Jim_Rogers there... but it is a trek.
south central Wisconsin

beenthere

The barn is 'raised'. Three of us ( WI Chapter FF members) showed up bout 8:30 to help Craig Roost, aka "Rooster", shown here making some last minute shavings on barn timbers.

Shortly, these three signed in for volunteer duty.

Then these two showed up making the rest of us feel a bit puny, at least in the muscle dept.

We started with the bents laying down, but ready to be raised. The foundation wall was already poured, and treated sill plates laid, with the mortise's ready to receive the tenons of the upright posts.

Then after some interesting teamwork, and most just following the directions from "Rooster", we managed to get three of the five bents raised, and braces in place. Time now to move the gin pole to the other end and raise the last two bents.

south central Wisconsin

Stephen1

Nice picture work boys, looks like you had yourselves a good day.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

beenthere

For more photo's of this barn raising, they are available (just have to sign in) at:

//photo.walgreens.com/share/p=57241182697484433/l=11300582/g=9018505/cobrandOid=1009/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB
copy this link to your browser to see the Barn raising photo show - 63 photo's and add http to the beginning....(active links to off site photos are not allowed)
south central Wisconsin

Rooster

Hey ! To all you barn NUTS!!,

This is Rooster, an I just want to thank the three  WISC FF members who came out and helped with the barn raising!!!  ATTABOYS.... for everybody!!  

Somehow I had a feeling that they were WAY over-qualified when I asked them to pick up and move my gin-pole, which was a 32 ft red pine log, out of the way for the tractors!!! ;)  

They worked very hard and had some photos taken, and told me that they would post some photos for me....and as you can see they didn't waste any time....in fact, the photos were on the internet before the barn frame was even finished!!!

Thanks again guys!!!

Sincerely,
Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Rooster

Hey Y'all,

After we got the fame completed on the barn, I needed to shift gears and work on the 1903 round barn on the same property.  And now that we have a new roof on the round barn, it is back to the timber-frame barn for siding and rafters.....This Sat. Sept. 15, at 8 am, we will be having our next volunteer work day!!!!

Schuster's Playtime Farm, Hwys 12/18 Deerfield WI.....about 15 miles east of Madison,WI.

Hope to see some of you there!!!

Thanks!

Rooster
920-728-0353
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Dave Shepard

Rooster, I am interested in the round barn you mentioned. There is a great round barn where I do my blacksmithing. This one is timber frame with masonry walls.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

Dave
Some info on the round barn can be found on the Schuster farm site.

www.schustersplaytimefarm.com

Besides the new roof Rooster put on, there is also a cupola on top now.
south central Wisconsin

stumpy

Not only does the barn have a cupola, it now has a Spire/lighning rod. Craig asked me to help him create this spire.  He did all the "cyferin" and built a simple but effective jig.  I supplied a 12' long 11" diam. cedar utility pole which I sawed in half.  Craig then routed out the center, installed the rod then glued it back together.  We then put it on the jig then onto my Woodmizer and milled 20 sides to it.  Next, we tilted the spire and tapered it down to 2".  Now I know what you're thinkin, "where's the pictures"?.  Well I forgot my camera.  Craig's girlfriend did take some with the cell phone, so hopefully he will email them so we can get them posted.

Don P

I'd like to see them  8).
There's a nice round barn I think I remember near T and the IL line below Brodhead.

beenthere

Anybody makin it to The Barn tomorrow?  Should be a nice day.

I will not be able to make it.  :( :(
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!